PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this is reasonable?

Anonymous
01-16-2013, 10:44 PM
Did I set my rate too high? I just finished my website today, and posted it on a site to advertise. 2 people commented, one saying that it was expensive and they pay less in another city and it includes bus transportation, the other mentioned she payed the same rate I charge but at a licensed facility. Should I change my rate or keep it? It says I charge $250 for full time on my website right now. This is in Brampton, Ontario.

cfred
01-17-2013, 05:32 AM
While I think it's a reasonable price for what we do, it may be a tad steep for home daycare. What do other places in your area charge? I'd be inclined to find that out before setting my fees. I live about 45 mins away from you (Newmarket) and charge $39/day (moving to $40) and am considered to be at the low end, financially speaking, in an area with a range between $35 and $45.

Crayola kiddies
01-17-2013, 06:21 AM
Type your postal code into the home page of this site and see what others closest to you are charging....... I'm in Ottawa I charge $200/week but a 10 minute drive from me they charge between $225 and $250/week ..... But that just wouldn't fly where I am.

Inspired by Reggio
01-17-2013, 06:31 AM
I agree with Cfred ... I have worked in centre care 19 years before moving to home childcare and I personally think our service is worth way MORE than what centre care provides because we offer a smaller ratio, healthier food options, more personalized family focused program and well I could go on however if you are charging anywhere close to what CENTRES charge in your area you are going to find it a challenge to find clients ~ do not get me wrong you might be able to actually find 5 clients looking for a high quality home childcare who are willing to pay centre prices for it cause they too agree they are getting a better service than the centre can provider ... but it will be hard and you will likely sit on spaces for a long time trying to find those perfect clients ... so it depends if you would rather be low ratio daycare or a full day care that charges less in order to be full?

We have to remember that centres charge higher fees because well they not only have to pay the front line staff actually doing the caregiving but the supervisors, directors, cooks, janitors and not just their wages but the 'employer tax expenses' on those employees of CPP, EI, OHIP and so forth and they have much higher 'rent/mortgage' expense ... well you get the picture they have way more expenses that come off those fees to clients before they reach 'wage' .... we have less 'expenses' that they do so therefore in the eyes of society we should charge LESS.

you can go here to find all the licensed programs in your area to try and get a idea of 'rates'

http://www.portal.gov.on.ca/ONT/portal61/licensedchildcare

And than use here and your postal code to find home childcare rates for your area