PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea - when to call the parent?

Spixie33
05-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Hi
I think we have all been there with the runny BMs. It is sort of a fine line on whether the child should be sent home and when. Sometimes diarrhea happens just once or twice and then is fine and other times it becomes every hour and goes through the clothes.
When do you call the parent? Or do you just tough it out?
Honestly....if the child's energy seems okay and there is no fever then I am usually the one to tough it out and just keep a closer eye on the bum of the little one for the day.
However....last week I was speaking to an ECE at early Years and she said that the official policy at the daycare where she works and the after school program she does is that 2 diarrhea occurances mean a call to the parent.
How do you manage within your own home daycare?

playfelt
05-29-2011, 10:26 AM
As long as it stays in the diaper I tough it out especially with the youngest because other factors such as teething or a change in diet can be the cause over illness. Once it escapes the diaper I go by the number of changes of clothes the child has. Once the last outfit is on they have to go home cause there is nothing left for me to use. An older child is different in that it is generally totally out of character for the child and I am less likely to have enough changes of clothes for them. Because I can not control everything that child touches or does for the day I prefer they go home till we rule out illness - saves on my cleaning.

Emilys4Guppies
05-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Truly, it depends on the child, the age of the child and other factors.

If it's accompanied by other signs of the flu/illness then the parents get a call. Including: fever, unusual cough (I say unusual because my children sometimes cough as a result of asthma), lethargy, ect.

With very young toddlers or babies it can be because of excessive drooling/teething, new food, ect., and not be a bug. If this appears to be the case then I just deal.

I also agree that diarrhea in older children is more likely to be an illness and so I will call.

Play and Learn
05-29-2011, 05:11 PM
I think that because I am ECE trained, and my rule in my manual states that after 2 D-BMs, a call goes out to the parents. I don't think it's fair that I should have to change a D-BM, especially when I have others to care for, and the child is very clingy as well.

This happened to me 2 weeks ago. DCM came to pick up her 11 month old after I called - didn't help that her child was screaming bloody-murder when I called! lol.

Sunflower
05-30-2011, 10:13 AM
I guess I am very strict !
As soon as there is 1 incident of diarrhea I call the parents. Now I am not talking about just loose stools here.. actual diarrhea.
Caring for a sick child is not fair to the others who also require my care and attention.
I have had to call parents only a few times because of this and each time the child was sick for the next few days (stomach flu)

mom-in-alberta
06-02-2011, 10:16 AM
I will call if: the child is unable to participate in our activities, there are other symptoms of illness, the child seems distressed or uncomfortable, or I feel that the situation should not be managed by me anymore. If the kid is blowing through a diaper an hour, then I will give mom and dad a call, and at least give them the option of picking up Jr.
If it's just icky, that could be caused by so many other things in toddlers and babies, so I don't worry about it.

MarkCarr
10-06-2011, 02:06 AM
As parents we should always check the health status of our children. It is one way also on how we could get rid our children from any health conflicts.

momplus6
10-06-2011, 08:23 AM
I usually go on if the child seems super sick or not. I will sometimes call just to up date them and say so and so is resting on the couch and not feeling well so if you could come a bit early that would be great. I don't have a problem caring for sick children as long as it isn't out of control and I can manage the other children fine.

Skysue
10-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi
I think we have all been there with the runny BMs. It is sort of a fine line on whether the child should be sent home and when. Sometimes diarrhea happens just once or twice and then is fine and other times it becomes every hour and goes through the clothes.
When do you call the parent? Or do you just tough it out?
Honestly....if the child's energy seems okay and there is no fever then I am usually the one to tough it out and just keep a closer eye on the bum of the little one for the day.
However....last week I was speaking to an ECE at early Years and she said that the official policy at the daycare where she works and the after school program she does is that 2 diarrhea occurances mean a call to the parent.
How do you manage within your own home daycare?

Those centres need to have that policy due to possible viral outbreaks. I worked with a girl that had to leave work 5 times due to her little one having runny BM's and it was nothing! Boy was she frustrated!

I think for us it depends on the general state of the child, if they are not themselves or are running a possible fever then call but otherwise go with the flow!