PDA

View Full Version : Hot weather meals ?

Spixie33
05-30-2011, 06:59 PM
So we have done best daycare meals but now that the weather is starting to get hot and humid (on occassion) - what are your best hot weather meals?

Do you make lunch meat sandwiches? Do you worry about the Nitrate, etc in them or are parents okay with it?

It just seems weird to serve hot lunches on these kind of hot, humid days and I am not sure how hungry the dcks tummies are when it is so warm out.

Do you stick with the same menu or do you switch things up a bit for summer??

gcj
05-30-2011, 07:22 PM
It depends. I basically stick to the same thing...throw in some sandwiches/salads sometimes. Today, we did hot meat and couscous, but instead of the cooked veggies that I'd planned, we had some raw chopped veggies instead. A little bit of dip on the side and they couldn't get enough fresh veggies!:D

Emilys4Guppies
05-30-2011, 07:36 PM
We do sandwiches on hot days. Tuna salad, egg salad, peanut butter & jam, and meat sandwiches. By meat, I mean slices of a beef roast I did the night before...or chicken breasts that I've cooked and shredded. I don't typically serve luncheon meats, but I don't have a particular problem with them either. My parents have never mentioned a distaste for them.

We also do lots more salads and sliced veggies. I have a large veggie garden that we all help in, so by July there is a ready supply of cucumbers, zucchini, green beans. Already we have peas, lettuce, kale and spinach harvesting daily. The kids love to eat what we pick ourselves.

playfelt
05-31-2011, 12:09 AM
Mostly I stick with the same menu because once it is humid the air conditioner is on so for the most part it is still comfortable. What I do change is that instead of putting the oven on to cook something I will make it the night before when cooking family supper and then warm in the microwave instead. I find the kids are more thirsty than hungry in the hot weather so serve them smaller portions of food at lunch and increase what is served at the snacks so it is like 3 equal amounts and they seem to do better.

Sunflower
05-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Vegetarian wraps, the kids just LOVE them !

krispy
08-05-2011, 04:59 PM
my kids like cold pasta salads...pasta, chickpeas, cucumber and a bit of salad dressing

mlc1982
08-05-2011, 09:23 PM
I basically stick to the same menu as well. I've tried cold salads and the kids don't really care for them. I do the same type of sandwiches/wraps as mentioned above - pb&j, egg salad, tuna, chicken salad ...stuff I don't have to put in the oven.

spudjt
08-09-2011, 08:42 AM
I have families bring their own lunch in cooler pack lunch bags and I provide breakfast as the provided Meal. Its a full breakfast, getting them off to a good start and then we can go on our outings or for a picnic or whatever and dont have to be rushed to get back so I can make lunch, we can just continue on having fun until quiet time. Less mess to clean up, more care provided and less cooking. Besides, Im here to provide quality childcare services, Im not a daylong Chef. I will start them off with one heck of a breakfast and provide 2 snacks but when lunches are left up to the individuals, kids are happy with items they like, they get choice-more control over what they eat. Of course parents cant just sent sugar stuff..I give them info on canadas food guide, portions etc and encourage them to provide a balanced lunch. Breakfast items go from pancakes, to waffles, to eggs, to peanut butter or nuts, to porage, cereal, toast, bagels etc..on and on its endless what you can serve for breakfast!!

clep
08-12-2011, 10:24 AM
I change it. We have chicken pasta salad, asian sesame chicken with pasta (it is served cold), chicken caesar salad, wild rice casserole, soups and sandwiches, wraps etc.

We always keep fruit and yogurt freeze pops in the freezer for outside time. :)