PDA

View Full Version : Annoyed with kids!

mamaof4
01-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Anonymous Post

Really need to vent! I am almost too ashamed to admit this, but I have one DCG who drives me nuts! She has this really annoying screeching cry which keeps everyone awake at naptime. She whines when she can't see me and has trouble playing by herself so is constantly 'on' me. I am working with her to teach her more acceptable behaviors but the wail of hers makes me just about reach my limit on a daily basis. Has anyone else ever had this?? Some days I seriously feel like I'm going to lose it from her high pitched scream!

sunnydays
01-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Yes...unfortunately I know all too well what you are describing! I think sometimes it's just a personality clash or something.

daycarewhisperer
01-23-2013, 07:07 PM
How old is the child and how long have you had her?

DisneyPrincess
01-24-2013, 06:26 AM
I had one who cried for 5 months, same annoying sound non-stop, sometimes even screams... I actually dont know how I endured this :( I think I almost wanted ear plugs for real. I felt bad for th kids that had to listen to this as well, poor little ones. I kept saying I'll give the two weeks notice and grab some tylenol... lol Today she's a doll :D

Inspired by Reggio
01-24-2013, 06:49 AM
Yes how I would handle this would totally depend on the age of the child ... for wee infants crying is their only way of communicating ~ if they are anxious or scared that would be their way of communicating that so I would be looking for ways to alleviate their anxiety and creating the bond of trust in me, the other kids and the environment to help them want to be happy in the program.

If it is a 3 year old who has learned 'whining' gets them special treatment well than I would be sending the message NOT AT MY HOUSE by sending her someone to be 'alone' to self soothe and regulate not doing thing with the message we do not whine we use our words at Reggios and when she is ready to come be a part of the group experience and use her words she is more than welcome.

gramma
01-24-2013, 08:16 AM
got one of those too. LOL I agree it depends on age and how long youve had her to know what to do.

kidlove
01-24-2013, 09:14 AM
I think its fair to say we have all had our share of the "criers"......the biggest piece of advice I can give you is "know your limits" I have said this before on the forum and will say it a million times...ultimately these are not our kids, we do not have the undying bond that God gives you when you have a child of your own, therefore much easier to hit a threshhold with unrelated children. I do agree that what you do depends on age, but my concern is not so much the age of the child but the point you feel you have hit your limit. You need to make sure you put the child down and walk away if things get too frustrating or the child seems unconsolable. Don't beat yourself up, some infants go through periods of colic and some older kids can have anger issues amoung other things, just know when to walk away for a minute or two and also know when you have to quit all together. And never feel bad about either. :) this is not an easy job, and every kid is not the perfect fit!

Zoeysdaycare
01-24-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm having one of those days too. I wish I was just dealing with a crier :( I have a child who can't play alone or with others and is doing things to get my negative attention like hitting, pushing and pulling chairs up from under children. AHHHH!!!!! and we stuck inside today. Wonderful!

kidlove
01-24-2013, 10:37 AM
I hear ya ladies, if I just had the little ones today I would be so much happier, I have these two older kiddos that are making me want to pull all my hair out today.......one is 3 years and asks asks asks all day long, put a cup of water right in front of him at the table and he says, "miss ____ is this mine?" uh no, I just put someone elses cup right in front of you, but don't drink it!":rolleyes: or the 4 year old who informs me of EVERY move every one makes, "he just put that toy in the bucket" "the baby smiled at me!" "look at the face I can make" look at me look at me look at me! aaaaaaahhhhhh!:eek: I know these behaviors are all normal for age and so forth but they seem to be extreme with these two, like a constant battle for attention. It wears on me by the end of the week, and this is my week of the monthly visit to top it off! so my nerves are shot!!!!! IS IT FRIDAY YET!?