PDA

View Full Version : Having a hard time finding another child for my daycare!

TanyaLynn
02-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Hello everyone!

I am an ECE grad and stay at home mom. After my maternity leave was over, my husband and I agreed that it was time for me to put my education to good use and we decided I would stay at home and provide in home childcare. I have 1 little guy who is 18 months and I am having a really hard time finding another child to fill my 2nd space.

Any suggestions on how to get the word out? I put a notice up at the school around the corner from my house and posted an ad here, but i've had no luck!

How did everyone else get the word out when they first started up their childcare?

Thank you! :D

daycaremom
02-09-2011, 12:14 PM
For me the best way to advertise besides daycare bear is www.kijiji.ca

Play and Learn
02-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Grocery stores, libraries, schools, mail boxes, www.Kijiji.ca, Kids consignment shops, doctors offices, etc.

I also put up my businesses on Google Places. Good luck! Isn't it nice to have your ECE to fall back on?

Just an FYI for TanyaLynn: You cannot use the ECE title anymore in Ontario unless you're registered within the College of Early Childhood Educators. If they somehow catch you using the term, they have the right to strip you away from your ECE title. Best way to go around it, is on your posters/flyers state that you have your Diploma from Early Childhood Education. Or you can register.

horsegirl
02-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Hi TanyaLynn: We have an organization called Child Care Resource and Referral that offer information for parents as well as the daycares in their area. I put out flyers at grocery stores, churches, baby groups (through the health unit), I gave business cards to friends, dentist and doctors offices.

You can call yourself an Early Learning Caregiver with your ECE diploma.

I hope this helps you.

playfelt
02-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Another site I use here in Ottawa is called www.usedottawa.com and I know there are sites for other locations. I think the original link is usedeverywhere.com but if you go to the ottawa link and then look at the bottom for the links to change cities you can look for one that is near you. When you get to the link for both kijiji and used.... look under services for childcare. The listing under jobs is more for nannies than home care although there is often a mixture but most list under services. Always keep your ad up at daycarebear as I find parents are using the internet more and more to find care and their site will come up. The problem with listing at a school is that it sounds like you are looking for younger children than what they would serve. If you have factories or other major employers in your area go in and ask if you can post an ad in the staff room - but be aware of their hours such as shift work before you do that. It can take time to get established and then after that it is often word of mouth that fills your spaces. If there is a childcare support group in your area join it. In the nicer weather go to the park and out and about. Don't be afraid to walk up to anyone with an infant in a stroller and offer your business card.

Emilys4Guppies
02-09-2011, 04:13 PM
I've advertised on kijiji, craigslist, here, a few other online sites, super mailboxes, grocery stores, community center, the public school...

I think that's it. Kijiji has been best to me so far. I have a friend DHP who only ever advertised on mailboxes, and she was always full.

Stircrazy
02-09-2011, 09:21 PM
For me when I started out it took me a good six months to be where I wanted to be. I put ad's in the news paper, daycare ber, kijiji, made flyers, word of mouth. I also offered in the beginning some drop in care etc as that got my name out once people started coming.

Sunflower
02-10-2011, 01:58 PM
When I started out I got the most resposes through Kijiji, ads on mail boxes and this very website!
It did take me a few months to fill up ( I was very selective)
This time of year is a little slow I find. I have been trying to fill spot now for about a month.

Good luck with everything :)

Amateur Owner
02-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Only opened about 6 months ago and had both my spots filled. But I have one open now, I've been advertising on craigslist for the most part & at local schools. I have had some interest but not so much for the age group I'm looking for...I'm also being super selective I think coz I know more of what to expect now! I'm also doing a little drop in with a family, but still no luck with a full timer. Income going down and need to make something happen.
I am going to start posting around the neighborhood and mail boxes you say? Are those the street 'canada post' ones, or do you go door to door?

Is anyone else finding it slow right now?

Sunflower
02-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I posted ads all over the canada post one ( sometimes they got ripped off by the courier the same day : ( but over all it all worked out lol )
It is very slow. I usually fill up my $7.00 /day spots very quickly but not this time !

ceECE
02-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Hello,
Vista print has wonderful printing options for vehicle magnets, business cards, flyers...EXCELLENT prices and free shipping at times!!! Also, do a search online as if you were a parent..."daycares in______" and see what the first results are. Get your name on those sites :)
GOOD LUCK ;)

Play and Learn
02-10-2011, 04:10 PM
ceECE - I use Vistaprint.ca for both my daycare and my dance school - great prices, and great products!!!

TanyaLynn
02-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Thank you everyone for all of your replies! I had no idea that I wasn't allowed to use the ECE title anymore. :(

I appreciate all of your suggestions. :)

Play and Learn
02-10-2011, 09:17 PM
I had no idea that I wasn't allowed to use the ECE title anymore.

Check out http://collegeofece.on.ca/home.php for more information. But this is what I was told when I called the college almost two years ago. I registered, (my title is now RECE) but moreso because I was applying to ECE positions in the boards.

Take care!

Naftafia
02-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Hello all, kijiji and this site worked best for me, however I recently found my latest kid through an old friend as his cousin was looking for daycare in my area. I had never thought to advertise on facebook through all my highschool friends, old work collegues and get everyone to let their friends and family know. It is a good way to get the work out to a lot of people in the area, and they will often feel more comfortable as they somehow know you through someone.

Sarah A
02-15-2011, 04:58 PM
I am affliated with Today's Family (agency) and they have provided me with the kids i have now. I just started my home daycare too last fall and found them very helpful in getting my business started. But they don't pay as much as if you found the kids privately. I have also printed business cards from VistaPrint (really good deals) and have posted flyers in my neighbourhood, OEYC's and schools to get some private business. I have received plenty of calls but not for the age group I am looking for.

Kijiji has been really good too. I put my ads up and a link to my website. You can create free websites with Weebly. It gives you the chance to get all your info out there for people to see before they give you a call. Personally, i wouldn't call anyone before i saw a website first to get more info. But that's just me :)

giraffe
02-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Im with Sarah, websites work wonders.

Spixie33
05-03-2011, 12:45 PM
I posted ads all over the canada post one ( sometimes they got ripped off by the courier the same day : ( but over all it all worked out lol )
It is very slow. I usually fill up my $7.00 /day spots very quickly but not this time !

$7 a day? Is that for a drop in rate when you have a cancellation? Or is that a typo :ohmy::)

I took about 5 months to fill my spots but I have had many providers tell me that sometimes it can take a year to fill up. I had a few months where I initially posted and had bites...then a couple of months of silence and then I filled up within a two week period.

playfelt
05-03-2011, 02:19 PM
The $7 rate is likely for care in Quebec as they have government subsidized care at that rate for all families. Being here in Ottawa it is really hard sometimes with people who move from just across the river in Hull and then are shocked to find out what the Ontario daycare rates are per day since we have no subsidy for general care and the wait lists are over a year for licensed care.

Spixie33
05-03-2011, 02:25 PM
The $7 rate is likely for care in Quebec as they have government subsidized care at that rate for all families. Being here in Ottawa it is really hard sometimes with people who move from just across the river in Hull and then are shocked to find out what the Ontario daycare rates are per day since we have no subsidy for general care and the wait lists are over a year for licensed care.

oh right - I always forget the $7 a day in Quebec. lol Oops

chan
08-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know what the rate is for full time care in Ottawa.

Play and Learn
08-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know what the rate is for full time care in Ottawa.

Depends on what area you're in. Please tell us, and then we can help!

playfelt
08-16-2011, 12:15 PM
If you go to the CCPRN website there is a document there on rates across the city as it does vary considerably. If you are new to daycare, this is a great group to join too because it offers workshops, support groups, access to laminators, diecutters and resource books. http://www.ccprn.com

jplmrk045@gmail.com
06-12-2014, 09:55 AM
I've posted ads every where around my neighborhood, buildings, parks'community center, kijiji, craig's list, daycare bears and even in the nearby hospital. I have had a few inquiries but nothing so far. It is slow out there it seems and I hate to have to close down my home daycare after 15 years! I have found that if you don't pay to bump up you ads on kijiji and craig's list your ad quickly goes further down the pages. Looking for suggestions myself!

Momof4
06-13-2014, 07:54 AM
I've posted ads every where around my neighborhood, buildings, parks'community center, kijiji, craig's list, daycare bears and even in the nearby hospital. I have had a few inquiries but nothing so far. It is slow out there it seems and I hate to have to close down my home daycare after 15 years! I have found that if you don't pay to bump up you ads on kijiji and craig's list your ad quickly goes further down the pages. Looking for suggestions myself!
Sorry you are having a difficult time of it. Do you have a website? I find it's my best selling tool with lots of action pictures of the children, our crafts and activities. It pretty much presells my program before people even come for interviews. Good luck.

urbankidschildcare
06-13-2014, 04:12 PM
Anyone else notice these posts were from 2011, hopefully they have filled those spots by now, but good i of for others just starting!