PDA

View Full Version : How hot is too hot?

canadianjule
06-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Just wondering what your policy is on taking kids out in the summer months. Normally I like to get out once or twice a day but I do not usually take the kids outside if the temperature (actual or with the humidex) will be 30 degrees or higher. Does anyone else keep the kids indoors when it is really hot out or do you still take them out?

sunnydays
06-01-2011, 12:51 PM
I take them out unless it goes up to around 40, but I make sure there is shade, water, etc. where they are playing and we avoid the hottest hours between 11 and 3. We generally go to the splash pad on hot days.

canadianjule
06-01-2011, 01:01 PM
I dream of shade....unfortunate ly I am in a new housing development and there are no trees, no grass and no shade just a lot of rocks and dirt. To make matters worse, the area I live in is also under a water ban so we cannot use any water outdoors and all the splash pads are closed...looks like this will be a very long summer. I am so looking forward to getting grass some time after the water ban has been lifted in August - until then I will just dream of sprinklers and big shady trees.

mamaof4
06-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Canadian Julie- that sounds rough!

Play and Learn
06-01-2011, 01:13 PM
CanadianJule, have you bought a rain barrel? You can use this water for water play - that's what my sister and brother are doing for their kids this summer - both are in Barrhaven.

Do you have a tent that you can pop up for shade? Could also be fun as well!

canadianjule
06-01-2011, 01:28 PM
We do have a rain barrel - just bought it the other day but haven't set it up yet (it is on the honey do list for this weekend!) As for a tent, no I do not have one. The one good thing is that the front of our house is a little shaded and so is part of the driveway by about 3pm so if it isn't too hot we can still go out in the afternoon for some play time.

Play and Learn
06-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Just an FYI - Stonebridge is having their Community wide garage sale this Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Might be a good time to look out for a tent or a shade tent for cheap?!!?! I'm definitely hitting it up bright and early to find a wagon with seat belts and a wheelbarrow for DH!

canadianjule
06-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Thanks - I will take a look. I love garage sales!!

playfelt
06-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Mostly we go out after naptime 3:30 till pick up and by then the back yard is partly shaded as well. I do not take them out on days there is a heat or air quality warning because my own daughter who has special needs would have difficulty and it isn't good for the little ones either. We do snack outside so for the first part they are sitting in the shade anyways and then going home after play.

mom-in-alberta
06-01-2011, 02:44 PM
I really play it by ear day-to-day. We try to get outside daily, at least for a little bit. Usually after naptime, or in the mid-morning. So we do avoid the hottest, most sunburn-y time of day.
The yard surrounds our house, so at any given time we can usually find some shade. But I make sure we have lots of water, everyone wears a hat, and I watch the kids pretty close to see that they don't get overheated. Sunstroke/heatstroke SUCKS!!!
@CanadianJule: I feel for ya, that doesn't sound very fun. :( Looking for a tent is a great idea. And at least you can maybe use the rain barrel to fill up a little splash kiddie pool for the hottest days?