PDA

View Full Version : Discounted rates for siblings?

venusrockstar
01-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Do any of you offer discounted rates to people who have more than one child in your care? When I had my daughter in daycare my home provider didn't offer discounts since that was her income...

I had an opportunity arise where I could already be filling my 2 spots without even advertising yet, but I'm hoping she's okay with paying the full amounts...

what do you guys do?

kidlove
01-24-2013, 12:57 PM
I offer a discount to help the family out, doesnt bother me to do so. I offer 5$ a day for regular attending families. I think I am the only provider in the world who does though, all the other ladies on the forum charge full. Two spots taken, two full time charges. I get it, but I put the shoe on the other foot and cut parents a little break at my own expense of course. Nothing wrong wit hdoing either way IMO, just do what you are comfortable with and if the families don't mind paying full, you got a deal..if they don't? they'll go somewhere else!

monkeymama
01-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Ive only done it once, for my first family who had 3 children. Still watch 2 of them now. I dont regret it, but Ive never done it since. Siblings are more a risk financially and it doesnt cost any less to watch them.

Inspired by Reggio
01-24-2013, 01:26 PM
I do not do it ... a $5 discount/day would equal a loss of income for me of $1200 per year for every year that client is with me ... my last set of siblings was in care for 4 years so that is $4800 that a sibling discount would have cost me ... as much as I appreciate that having multiple children is a financial challenge they CHOSE to have multiple children and accept that additional financial burden not me so it is not my job to 'discount' that choice when there is nothing in it for me so to speak .... I personally can think of a 100 ways $1200 a year would come in handy on my end should I just choose to enroll two 'singletons' or the $4800 over the course of their time here!

Besides I admit I am biased cause I offered my own family a discount when I opened because they plead 'childcare is so hard to afford' and I fell for it ... and than sat back and watched as they spent $10,000 upgrading their fixtures in their kitchen with the money she 'saved' :rolleyes:

sunnydays
01-24-2013, 01:46 PM
No sibling discounts at all here. In fact, I prefer not to have siblings as they present a liability in that if the leave, then I have two spaces to fill at once. It's not that I would refuse a sibling if I had a space...just wouldn't encourage it with a discount. It's the same amount of work, the same cost to provide care...why should I provide a discount? There is not benefit to me of having siblings, so what incentive would I have to lose income that I could be getting if I didn't take the sibling? I don't give discounts for anyone for anything.

DeeDee
01-24-2013, 01:53 PM
I am glad I will not be offering discounts any more, it just costs me way to much. I made the mistake once but will not be doing it again.

kidlove
01-24-2013, 01:58 PM
guess its the norm in my area! would like to get full for most sibblings as they are a pain in the butt when their is two for some reason, the older ones tend to fight with each other a lot and the younger ones seem to be too over bearing for the younger sibbling. Have a 4 year old right now that tries to dictate to me what her 3mo sis needs all day long..."mommy and daddy do this, I think she needs a bottle, she's crying, she doesn;t like that......DUH! I know! ;)

apples and bananas
01-24-2013, 02:24 PM
nope, no sibling discounts here. Each kid costs me the same, I don't get discounted groceries or craft supplies. The siblings don't get less because they're siblings. Siblings are a liability and if I can resist it I do, so I give them no encouragment to sign on.

Inspired by Reggio
01-24-2013, 02:28 PM
guess its the norm in my area! ....

Are you able to be full most of the time and is there demand for childcare in your area cause it might be time to be the pioneer for change and stop offering it and see if it makes a difference to clients choosing you ;)

In my direct area I am so NOT the norm in cause well I was not willing to 'settle' for the norm just because we choose to downsize and live on the other side of the tracks so to speak ... still cannot charge what I feel I am worth but I am so not going to undercharge to the degree some of the other ladies in this area do because they do not feel they are worth it or can get fair wages :o

cfred
01-24-2013, 02:49 PM
I've never given a discount nor have I felt compelled to. The siblings both eat, use supplies and require care. I don't think 'buying in bulk' savings should apply to a service provided which is already bottom of the barrel cheap anyway. I know lots of people do it, but that's just my opinion. I think Reggio made a good point....see if it's even necessary in your area. Is there high demand in your area or are you scrounging for clients and maybe an incentive like that would help things along? The savings you offer her may not seem like a lot on a day to day basis, but add up that loss over the course of a year or the duration of that child being in your care....it might actually curl your hair!

sweetness852010
01-25-2013, 09:45 AM
I did it once and never doing it again i feel its more work. The parents expect discounts all the time if you offer once they expect more. Not worth it losing income over them.