PDA

View Full Version : Dayhome moms with their own kids..

mamaof4
06-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Do your kids have some special toys that are not played with during daycare hours? A few special items that they are not ready to share?

How is that handled?

Sunflower
06-02-2011, 04:13 PM
I have daycare toys that everyone can use and I have toys just for my kids (bday presents,xhristmas presents etc.)

This way I avoid many fights lol

However their personal toys either stay in their room, or in their half of the playroom.
I sectioned off a part of the playroom just for them since as the moment all my daycare children are much younger than them and always want to follow them around :laugh:

So far so good !

Spixie33
06-02-2011, 04:42 PM
I tell me children that they need to be responsible for bringing me anything they don't want the daycare to play with BEFORE any children arrive for the day. Then we put it somewhere safe.
If the children do not bring me anything or bring out the special toy during the day then they have to share and I will not be responsible for grabbing it away from the daycare children whenever my children remember to feel possessive. lol
This has worked pretty well.
There are some toys that the kids and my kids fight over and I have thought of buying multiples but then I ask myself if that is realistic. In life none of them will get what they want all the time and there aren't always multiples of things - it is better that they learn the lifeskill of sharing and negotiating for turns

gcj
06-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Absolutely! They already have to share their home, lots of toys, their mom! So, any favourite things stay upstairs in their room. Birthday , Christmas, anything special doesn't come down. IF they choose to bring it down, they understand that it becomes a toy to share. They are free to play in their rooms whenever they want during daycare hours. It's their house!

mom-in-alberta
06-03-2011, 01:46 AM
There are definitely some toys that my kids have that are "special" and not for dayhome kids usage. Those toys stay in their bedrooms, which are off limits to the d/c kids except for napping.
If they choose to bring it out and play with it, then they all know that it is fair game at that point. And the same rule applies to kids that happen to bring toys to daycare (which I try to discourage!). If you bring it, you share it.

Emilys4Guppies
06-03-2011, 08:15 AM
My daycare is on the mainfloor and I have designated daycare toys for that area. My children's personal toys don't come in here. We have a seperate playroom in the basement with my children's own toys in there. My children are either too old to play with the daycare toys, or young enough to not care having to share.

sunnydays
06-03-2011, 02:27 PM
My kids have a coupe of special toys that they keep out of the daycare area, but the rest is shared and I haven't had any problems. There are certain things the kids fight over, but like Spixie said, I decided against buying multiples of everything because they need to learn to take turns and share.

playfelt
06-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Especially after christmas or birthdays the toys my kids got were their private play things but they also played with them in private either in their rooms which were off limits to daycare kids regardless of age or in the rest of the house in the evenings. Over time they could choose to add them to the daycare space but then it meant they were available to everyone. At the same it was a privilege my child could resind such as if a toy was being abused they could move it back to their room at the end of the day and not bring it back out.

lilac
06-04-2011, 08:48 AM
My kids also keep "their toys" up in their rooms, and if they bring them down they know they need to share. Same with the dck if they bring toys, they share them. The one problem I have is that I have 3 girls who love strollers, I have 3 strollers, of course #1 is a bit more elaborate than the others (the back pushes up etc) the 2nd is pink (nuff said right there) with a hood, the 3rd is an umbrella stroller. Well, the fights over thes flippin' strollers are insane, so I instituted a rotation, now I am pesterd all day by who's turn it is to have stroller #1, all day!! Confirming whos turn it is, who had it yesterday, when it will be someone elses turn....over and over and over again, all day long. So I'm getting 2 more umbrella strollers and the coveted #1 and #2 pink hood stroller is going away, for my own sanity!!! LOL!

Judy Trickett
06-04-2011, 09:29 AM
YOUR kids are not in daycare - therefore they should be allowed to have special toys etc that are off-limits to the daycare kids.

It is very important to have separate space for your own kids. They share soooo much - their home, their mom, etc etc.

Running a home daycare has to be okay with your WHOLE family - your own kids included. Therefore space, measures and rules need to be in place that make everyone happy.

I have always had a dedicated daycare space. My own kids were never forced to be a "daycare kid".

It IS okay for your kids to be treated differently. They are NOT in daycare.