PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Hired help?

DaycareLady
01-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Me again…and yet another question…sorry!! I was just wondering if anyone uses hired help? When all my kids are transitioned in, by the first week of April I will have 3 toddlers and 4 babies (this is including my own children-1 toddler, 1 baby). Anyways there is only 2-3 days where they are ALL here and I was thinking for those days I would hire someone just for a couple hours in the morning to help during the busiest part of the day: Snack, outside play, lunch! I don’t want to let any of these kids go right off the bat, I would like to try hired help first…but wondering how much I should pay them? I personally know a few people who don’t work, so a little bit of extra cash would be nice, but if I only get $30 a day for one child and then I offer to pay the hired help $20 for a few hours…is it worth it? Although she would be helping with ALL the kids. Thoughts?

mimi
01-25-2013, 01:33 PM
So you make 150.00 on the days you are full. If you need help for 3 hrs I think it would be worth the 20.00. You can write this off this expense. As the kids get older and more self sufficient, there will come a time you won't need the help. Also, think how nice it will be to have an adult to chat with.

Never apologize for posting!!!!!!!!!!

gcj
01-25-2013, 01:34 PM
I think it depends on where you are....? I have done this. I had been quite sick and needed help when I was first coming back. It cost a lot and long-term my wouldn't have been worth it, but if it's a short-term, or temporary thing, it could work. My first week back I had her for 3 hours/day, but obviously chose the 3 toughest hours...I think it was 8:30 - 11:30. I used my replacement who charges $10/hour. Where I am I have a list of replacements/assistants and they all charge between 10-15/hour.

DaycareLady
01-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Thank you so much girls, I really appreciate it!! gcj, how did you find a whole list of people to be a replacement/assistant? I would love to have a back up list! I am so afraid of getting sick and letting all these parents down, it would be nice to be able to call someone to replace me or that would even take them at their daycare for the day!
That is so true too, a little extra money out of pocket but so much stress relieved is priceless! how do you write them off? Do you give them a "pay cheque"? Or just account for it at tax time?

gcj
01-25-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm in Quebec and I'm subsidized. We deal with an Office and they provided it. But, in all honesty, there is only one on the list that I would actually use and allow in my home! I've had more luck finding people on my own. My husband's a teacher and knows a lot of "educatrices" ???? I guess it's a teacher's aide....and substitutes as well. I've lucked into a couple of good ones!

DaycareLady
01-25-2013, 02:15 PM
That is awesome! Thanks so much!!

Inspired by Reggio
01-25-2013, 03:32 PM
I have never hired help myself because I have not had the need for help so have no first hand knowledge of all that is required.

IMO it is important to remember that you are a BUSINESS and therefore the rules for hiring someone are different than if you are just hiring a 'occasional teenage babysitter' into your home and what not!

Before doing this I would check with your insurance carrier that an 'employee' is covered under your policy in case they are injured or hurt on the job because my understanding that is different liability coverage than if an 'client' were injured.

As well as if you are in Canada what the rules are for being an 'employer' regarding taxes because employees regardless of being part time, contract, and short term are entitled to minimum wage, vacation pay, CPP and EI and so forth and as an employer you'd have to pay the 'employer' contribution as well as take off and submit the 'employees' portion of those programs and so forth.

Also I have heard of providers who hire the person on 'as self employed themselves' but I would want to ensure that I had legal advice on what the criteria you need to ensure is included in such a contract that it is 'clear' they are being considered self employed and that their wage includes all the 'additional employment expenses' to avoid legal troubles for yourself should the relationship not end well and they try to sue you claiming they were an 'employee' after all and their rights were violated or something :(

As for places to LOOK for temporary help ~ I would post job ads at your local colleges and university and see if there are students looking to add 'work with children' to their resume!

Momof4
01-25-2013, 04:10 PM
I have a high school student who comes from 8am-12noon on her PD days and once in a while in the summer and March break and Christmas break and I pay her $20 for the morning. She is using it for her volunteer time for her highschool which is mandatory in Ontario so we're keeping the $20 a secret but the children love her and she has a lot of fun. She doesn't have any responsibilities at all other than to play with the children. If I were going to hire somebody else I would probably expect to pay them at least minimum wage per hour.

DaycareLady
01-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Good tips and lots to think about. Thank you girls!!