PDA

View Full Version : Age Groups

Dreamtree
06-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Hello everyone,

I have just opened the doors and began registry for my home daycare and need some advice.

I know that I can have 5 children in my care under the age of 10. I have decided to work privately and am getting a few requests for registration for children 10-11months. I just finished working in an infant classroom and really enjoyed the age group, and so am thinking of accepting up to 2 children around 10 months to a year and three between 14 and 36 months.

I am just looking to hear of others preferences and experiences!
Thanks!

Play and Learn
06-06-2011, 03:10 PM
I am willing to accept anyone over the age of 5 months - having gotten any requests yet. Most are for 11-12 months to start.

The way I see it is how you're comfortable with the age groups. I will only take 2 children that cannot walk. All others have to be walking for some time for me to be able to accept them.

I currently have a 2 yr old, a 16 month old, and 2 before/after school kids. Come September, I'll have a 2.5 yr old, a 12 month old, able to accept another 12 month old, might have the 1.5 yr old (depending) and the school agers again.

Again, it all goes to what YOU'RE comfortable with.

Dreamtree
06-06-2011, 04:51 PM
That was what I was thinking as well, that following my own comfort level is the way to go with age groups ect.

Thanks for the quick reply!

playfelt
06-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Two ways to look at the comfort level. I know the idea is that in the event of an emergecy some can walk and you can only carry two. The reality is that if the fire alarm goes off or there are sirens on the street the children right up to age 3 no matter how much you have tried to prepare them will panic, not listen and not cooperate. On the other side of the coin a baby will stay put till you go get them and you are more likely to all be in the same area anyways. Think about moms with triplets. It actually works quite well considering you don't get the kids till they have passed the true infant stage. You turn your playroom into a giant playpen and enjoy the two naps a day as long as you can make it last. Food costs are low because parents provide much of it, crafat supply costs is nil and toy costs are limited cause they will play with anything. Really worth tolerating the crying.

Dreamtree
06-06-2011, 11:10 PM
You make some great points playfelt! I am glad too because I am interested in you infant age group, it is so lovely seeing them learn and grow, true of all children really! :)

Sarah
06-06-2011, 11:40 PM
My own daughter is 3, so I would rather have older kids, but I agree with playfelt...

As soon as my daughter starts school, I will advertise for infants!

Sarah

mom-in-alberta
06-07-2011, 01:28 AM
I found that I prefer the toddler age group. Have not cared for any children less than about 12 months, but if I did, that would only be one at a time (as per local regulations!). I like 2 year olds because they can walk, talk (somewhat), play... and still NAP! lol

Sandbox Sally
06-07-2011, 11:34 AM
I prefer to NOT take infants, due to the two nap thing. I find it very restrictive, and very inconvenient if you have toddlers and preschoolers. I stipulate to parents that I will take an infant if they willl nap in the stroller, because otherwise, the rest of us are housebound!