PDA

View Full Version : Quiet time

ceECE
02-09-2011, 03:48 PM
For the centres that do not have a seperate quiet time space, what do you do when you have older children (4yrs.) that don't nap and are loud when you give them toys? (books, puzzles, plush toys etc.)

Amateur Owner
02-10-2011, 02:26 PM
I have an occasional 4 yr old that attends my daycare and didn't know how to handle the quiet time, he kept getting bored of things, but I'm gonna try the bag tip from this site, hope it helps...
http://www.eduqna.com/Preschool/1349-preschool.html

Sunflower
02-10-2011, 02:46 PM
In my daycare, my own 2 boys no longer nap and " quiet time" in the same space as the others is so out of the question.( wayyyy to much noise, not enough patience on my part LOL)
So they play in their room or sometimes watch a movie. I know it's not idea but I need a break too.
I used to sit next to my 3 year old from 1-3 trying to get him to calm down and nap.... I ended up needing a nap myself by the time " quiet time" was over lol

ceECE
02-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Fabulous site amateur owner. I would have recommended it to me if I were you too :) I have implemented all of these strategies already. The struggle that I have is the spa music with no words upsets one of the children, and the quiet bag wakes up other children when it gets dumped...etc. So, I'm thinking that super mini soft plush toys may work and cloth matching games etc. might be the key for this group. If I had a choice, I would have a seperate sleeping room :)
I appreciate your efforts. Thanks!

ceECE
02-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Oh, I hear you! :) I ran a LNR in my home before I went for my ECE training and licenced a part of my home. I would put on a movie at quiet time and we'd all fall asleep:) The children were my own except for the one extra that I cared for.
The space that I have now has an open concept. I'd seen it work in other centres and I liked it. The room is arranged that I can see them in there little cots, but they cannot see eachother. There is always an exception to the rule though isn't there :)
I saw your centre photos...very nice ;)

Amateur Owner
02-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Wow my kids are still napping! this is a first, okay not a first, but very rare ;)
ceECE, did it make a huge difference having done your ECE after you had started LNR? what I mean is did you find it easier to deal with situations etc.
I'm thinking of doing the ECE but am undecided whether this is what I want to be doing in the long run...

ceECE
02-10-2011, 07:00 PM
It made a huge difference for me! Even though my own children were over 9 yrs. of age, it helped my confidence dealing with other children and knowing their developmental stages: in art, emotionally,cognitiv ely...But, I think the best thing that I learned was how to guide and care for children through positive phrasing, facilitating and negotiating. Really it's teaching them to solve their problems to the point that both parties agree!!! :D I do believe that the quality of the training depends on where you get your training from. I asked around at the preschools and childcare centres, if they had what appeared to be equal candidates for the position they were hiring for, is there a college or training institute that they'd prefer?
Last but not least, while you're taking the course, you have a knowledgable instructor's ear to bend :) SORRY, this was a long response :P I love ECE!!!!

Amateur Owner
02-11-2011, 02:28 PM
ceECE, thanks for that, it's encouraging...