PDA

View Full Version : Ok... Come on now.... >:( *ATTN: Admin*

mom-in-alberta
02-01-2013, 01:03 PM
:mad:
Admin: who or what can I email in regards to the SPAM of late. I know that there have been numerous discussions. And I know that you, personally, are a moderator and do not have the ability to do more than moderate. (which we are all very appreciative of, by the way, don't get me wrong!!!!!)

But it makes me incredibly nervous seeing more and more posts that are very OBVIOUSLY spammy. And when they mention financial information and "bank log-ins" I get even more so. Not only are they posting, but they are coming back to "bump" their posts, now.

There has to be some way that the site provider or what have you can do a better job with filtration. I mean, the names that they come up with aren't even close to legitimate??

Please advise. I love this forum, but if I start to worry that my own personal information is at risk, I won't even log in, let alone post or otherwise participate.

Oh, and I know that we can report the posts and they will be deleted, but I am concerned about their arrival in the first place.

Thanks in advance!!

admin
02-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Hi everyone!

First of all, forum spamming is not dangerous, it can however be annoying!
Your computer and our servers are NOT at risk. These people (usually from poorer countries) manually register as regular users and then post messages to promote whatever they get paid to advertise. Our servers are in NO WAY compromised and they do NOT have access to anything else other that what a regular user would have access to.

We are working hard to identify any source of spam and block it as it comes up.
As soon as we see spam we delete the threads, ban the users, and then usually ban their entire Internet Service Provider address range (usually a foreign country ISP). We already banned most African countries and a good portion of Vietnam from some reason. In that sense the more they post the quicker we can block them all.

Regards,
The DaycareBear support team :D

mamaof4
02-03-2013, 08:32 AM
It is super annoying and I do my best to check in at least 2times a day to read threads and to check for spam. However- I am not on all the time and there may be times when the spam gets left for a few hours.

As I said- I would not click on any links in the spam posts- but otherwise the worst the are is obnoxious.

Momof4
02-03-2013, 11:35 AM
I help moderate a private daycare forum in my city and the spammers can't get in but every day there are at least a dozen attempts to activate a use account with a foreign sounding name that doesn't make any sense. It's exactly the same thing as what is going on here except that they can't get in on our site because it isn't open to the public. So in our case it's only annoying to the moderators, but it's only been happening since the beginning of this year. That's about the same time it started getting bad on this site.

Soooo Mamaof4 & admin, I completely understand!!!

gramma
02-03-2013, 02:41 PM
does this explain why I am being bombarded with emails?

playfelt
02-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Not sure of the settings but I have it that I have to sign in to read the forum online. I don't have anything coming into my personal inbox. I can then just skip over topics that don't interest me and skip threads that are obvious spam. Don't remember if there was an option when I signed up or not. DO you mean you are getting all the same spam in your personal inbox?

Inspired by Reggio
02-04-2013, 06:42 AM
... DO you mean you are getting all the same spam in your personal inbox?

That is what I was wondering too ~ I am not getting an increase in spam in either my inbox here or my personal email address but than I do not have my profile on here set up to allow members to 'email me' so no one would be able to access my personal email address through here .... perhaps if you are getting excess spam making sure that your email address is not published anywhere online?

So for example in your kijiji ads or on your business website make sure to HIDE your email address by having it within a hyperlink .... so it would say please email me for more information and they would have to click on the email to get a pop up email form because this prevents 'web crawlars' that spammers use from searching the internet for valid email addresses and just spamming them.

gramma
02-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Not sure of the settings but I have it that I have to sign in to read the forum online. I don't have anything coming into my personal inbox. I can then just skip over topics that don't interest me and skip threads that are obvious spam. Don't remember if there was an option when I signed up or not. DO you mean you are getting all the same spam in your personal inbox?

i dont open them and there is no subject in the subject line so I dont know if its from the same place. I never got any junk emails before and now I'm getting lots.

playfelt
02-04-2013, 08:16 AM
If you participate anywhere online and use your email address then it is subject to spam. It actually won't be coming from this group per se but just because. As annoying as it is just delete and ignore. There is not really anything you can do about it.

sunnydays
02-04-2013, 12:37 PM
That's really strange. I've had my ad on Daycare Bear for two years and never once received spam in my email box. I don't know why you would be receiving it when others are not! Very strange.

I'm new here ::waves::, and I've been afraid to participate because of the number of spam emails I've been receiving from this site. Within an hour of posting my ad in the members area I had an email with the subject line, "Questions about your listing on Daycare Bear". It was a marketing company wanting me to advertise my 'business' through them. I've had a least one a day over the past few weeks, all seeming to be from different people, but who knows?

playfelt
02-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Certain email servers are more subject to spam as are internet service providers. A lot depends on how they filter things out as to what actually makes it to your inbox.

mom-in-alberta
02-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Thanks admin!! And our awesome moderators!! I didn't mean to sound snarky... Just concerned.
I appreciate your efforts on this forum.
:wub:

admin
02-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Hi!

If you are receiving marketing messages directly referring to your DaycareBear listing, please forward them to us at our support email!

We will investigate and follow through as it is against our terms of service to use any information on our Members listings for anything other than personal use.

Regards,

The DaycareBear support team