PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ran a summer camp?

KellysChildCare
02-03-2013, 11:40 PM
I'm thinking of running a summer camp where we go camping at a local campground ... I know the rules for camps is different ... anyone have any ideas? I can't get into where I want to run the daycare till prob aug so I figured this would be a good way to make so $$
I'm in ontario... just curious how much insurance for 1 wk or a month would be. What else I would have to do...

Inspired by Reggio
02-04-2013, 06:08 AM
I have run summer camps before but not in the manner you are thinking as I worked out of a licensed centre at the time ~ so unfortunately have no clue how you do this without being associated with a program that already has 'insurance' and so forth cause every time I did it the program while not a part of our 'license' it was part of the licensed centre I worked out of with their gym space as the 'home base' should there be inclement weather and so forth.

I know we were allowed to have a 1:10 ratio for children 4 and up and a 1:15 ratio if everyone was over 6 and up. If we were doing 'off site' field trips like to the parks, swimming pools, taking public transit and so forth we had to have a 1:5 ratio with volunteers who were over 16 (if I remember correctly that was an insurance requirement for liability reasons) ... other than that we were free to do with the program as we desired we spent most of the program time outside unless it was raining ... parents provided all the food in brown bags for 2 snacks and lunch and so forth.

My advice in Ontario is to call the Ministry of Education and inquire what the rules are around 'unregulated summer camps' and than call your insurance broker and ask about that as well.

Inspired by Reggio
02-04-2013, 06:09 AM
Oh after thought ~ the place you are thinking of 'camping' have you checked with them to ensure they will allow you to do business on the campsite cause they might have rules against that sort of thing??

playfelt
02-04-2013, 08:20 AM
I know from the costs of doing guide and scout and church camps by the time you rented the venue you wouldn't make enough money to make it worthwhile.

bright sparks
02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Wouldn't it be more cost effective for you to run a small camp from home?? Also a much lower liability than taking a group of kids to a campsite??

I am hoping to give up home daycare by the end of this year to go to University but was considering running School Break camps at home. I would obviously have a small group as the ratios would still be in effect for under 10's and I really havent looked into it to much beyond in my head, but I couldn't imagine taking a group out everyday, for the whole day, or paying for use of other premices. I just figured on charging a comparable amount for my areas other school break camps and offer themed weeks with hours of around 8-4.

KellysChildCare
02-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Ya ... I live with my fiance ... nd we live in his mothers house ... well the house is owned by his mom AND his aunt ... she said no to using the house says its not suitable and not worth the insurance risk (the kids would have to go up and down steep stairs to go to the washroom and eat) ...but once she realized how much I could make she offered the rental unit in the bottom of the house 2 doors down .... it's all one level kitchen bathroom etc and will be perfect but it doesnt come avail till aug ... so i figured perhaps a camping trip... but guess it was just one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time!

Inspired by Reggio
02-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Ya ... I would really make sure what you are wanting to do is not going to get you into trouble in anyway .... because while we all know that the Ministry turns a blind eye to 'unregulated summer and PD camps' and the fact that they do actually contravene the DNA rules that 'any premise that provides regular childcare to more than 5 children must be licensed under the Ministry of Education' they turn that blind eye because they run short term and it is not cost effective to 'license' them as well as the fact those camps are almost always affiliated with a larger 'regulated business' of some sort which is why they get away with it ... aka they are run by the Y, or a Children's Museum or extra curricular organization, a Church, a childcare centre and so forth so there is that additional confidence in the public and therefore government that the business is not going to do anything to jeopardize the 'rest of their business' by offering this program and should follow the 'rules' voluntarily to ensure that nothing hits the fan on them even though it is not being regulated by the inspection.

KellysChildCare
02-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Ya I'm going to do a summer camp older kids from the house ages 7-12 and only 5 under 10 like daycare rules to a max of 10 ...but really do I want 10 kids running around make that 11 when you include my 10yr old... prob not! ;) :no: But ya up to 10 cuz then it'll be 2/10 ratio and max of 5 under 10... think with that I'm within regulations right?

Inspired by Reggio
02-08-2013, 07:08 AM
... think with that I'm within regulations right?

Grey area hon ~ some inspectors might let it go and others might hold you hard and fast to the DNA requirement that any premise that cares for more than 5 children, not of common parentage, must be licensed regardless of the number of adults present.

Doing it in a private residence you are definitely more at risk of being viewed as a home childcare and therefore subject to the rules of no more than 5 children under the age of 10 plus your own ... so of you are going to keep it that 5 of the children are under 10 and any more children you take on would be 'over 10' than you would likely be safe.

However have you been able to find INSURANCE that will cover you on a private dwelling for that many children cause most providers have a hard enough time finding insurance carriers that will do 5 plus their own let alone 10 plus their own???

playfelt
02-08-2013, 07:16 AM
Ya I'm going to do a summer camp older kids from the house ages 7-12 and only 5 under 10 like daycare rules to a max of 10 ...but really do I want 10 kids running around make that 11 when you include my 10yr old... prob not! ;) :no: But ya up to 10 cuz then it'll be 2/10 ratio and max of 5 under 10... think with that I'm within regulations right?

Actually that wouldn't put you in ratio. You can only have a total of 5 kids up to the age of 10 at any time even if there is more than one adult meaning you can only have 5 not 10 kids. even if all of the children are aged 7-10 you can still only have 5 of them.

playfelt
02-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Ok think I misread what you posted. Yes in theory children over the age of 10 don't count but then you run into an insurance issue because to them they do. Also children that age expect a very organized camp with outings, sports, swimming, etc. As well children that are 11-12 are old enough to be left at home so hard to get parents willing to pay enough to make it worth while.

The interpretation of the day nurseries act also says anything over 5 children needs to be licensed. I really think you are getting into dangerous territory here and should make a few more calls to the ministry for verification before proceeding. That many "big" kids will wreck havoc on the house and basically destroy it if it is not a space set up specifically for daycare - and remember it is not your house.

Your best option is to figure out how many you can fit into your vehicle and take only that many kids. Then you will be able to take them out each day to a park, indoor play area, pool, etc. But word of caution - if you are new to daycare this is not the age group or program that is the best way to start. Learning to handle a group within the confines of the home first before venturing on outings is a lot safer