PDA

View Full Version : Hurray - New Kid!

Sandbox Sally
06-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Seven and a half weeks after posting my first ad, I have secured my second client! I am so excited. She starts Monday! So now I have a 21 month old and a 12 month old. I think I am done after I secure one more. Not sure if I can handle four!

KingstonMom
06-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Yayyy! Nice and close in age too! Thats great!! Both girls?
Im finding it very slow lately...I have been trying to fill a spot for months.

Sarah
06-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Congrats! Is it the mom you thought gave you the job but didn't hear from her in some time???

Sandbox Sally
06-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Sarah - no. I did however get to email the rude mom and tell her that I filled her space. ;) I am interviewing tomorrow for my third and final spot for a September start date. So if he does sign on, which I am pretty sure he will, come Sept, I will have a 2 yr old girl, 15 month old girl and an 11 month old boy. I dck #1's mom offered me her brand new MEC trailer/double stroller for the girls, if I buy the handle kit for it (30 bucks). I will sling dck #3, I think if his parents are ok w it.

Super happy and excited. Won't know what to do with nap time any more now that I am not scouting new families. LOL

Thanks for sharing my enthusiasm. My husband doesn't understand! My daughter asked what she could get me for my 40th birthday coming up, and my hubby said "a new daycare kid" hehe. Guess I've kinda been obsessing about filling my vacancies...

Sarah
06-09-2011, 01:59 PM
hahaha!

Made me laugh there!

Here it's the opposite! My husband is freaking out and asking me everyday if I filled my spots. You know my situation right! So I keep calming him down and repeating to him that everything will be fine, that I cannot have filled my spots since cannot interview yet!!! Wanna exchange hubbys? hahahaha!!!!

I am sure you'll be fine. There are so many people in Toronto, it is impossible NOT to find a match! Just have to be patient!

Let me know for that third interview!

Sarah

Spixie33
06-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Yay ! Good for you. I think sometimes it is a long wait for the right family but the people who are emant to find us - eventually do :D

sunnydays
06-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Congrats! I obsessed about filling my spaces as well (I opened three months ago and started advertising two months before that). It was a lot of work, but I now have three wonderful families and so far everything is going very well (despite a little bit of screaming at lunchtime if you have read my other post lol). I hope you will be so lucky :)

Sandbox Sally
06-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Ok - not good! I had a SIGNED contract, and the parents called and cancelled on me (via voicemail, VERY classy) last night. They got a subsidized spot. They were giving me their deposit chq today...oh well. I think now that I know they were waiting on subsidy, they mighta ditched anyway once they got their opening.

So - I have an interview tomorrow morning with a 16 mo boy and his parents. We have exchanged a ZILLION emails just today, and the mom loves me :p I think I will be getting him.

Is it weird that her sister googled me? She actually sent me the link where her sister was questioning if I was ok because she found a picture credited to me for a Zombie Pub crawl!! I told her that no, it was not ME in the pic (lady was smoking, I get it), but yes, we did attend the pub crawl twice and it was a blast! She was happy with my answer. But...dunno. Is this a red flag?

playfelt
06-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Not a red flag but a warning to be careful what you say and how you say it. At the same time I would use the incident at the interview to bring up a few points. One what you do after hours is not part of the daycare day. That you treat a day in daycare just like a day at work and you have a set protocol you follow. Also remind the family that communication needs to be open between all of you and at any time if there is anything they see, think, feel, read, etc. to please ask about it if they are feeling uncomfortable lest there be misunderstandings. Actually this is probably a positive thing because they are still interviewing which means they are reasonable people and you can get the be open message out right away.

mom-in-alberta
06-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Huh. A little weird, I guess. :huh:
HOWEVER: I can't say I blame someone for doing due diligence, I am impressed that she actually questioned you (some people would have freaked out and said 'forget it'), and provided that she approached it in a "hey, I was just wondering, haha" way; then I wouldn't really mark it as a strike against them.
That said, I agree with playfelt in that it's not really any of her business what you do outside of dayhome hours. If you get a bit of a bad vibe from the face-to-face, after her questioning this matter, then I may begin to tread carefully.
Hope it goes well; and you fill that spot right away with a great family.
And BOOOOOOOO on the family that backed out on you!! :(

Sarah
06-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Alphaghetti, I'm sorry to read this! You were SO happy!

As per the new mom, it's good that she asks questions, she doesn't know you. But she does have to differentiate you as a home daycare and you as a human being.

What is a subsidized daycare???? (sorry if question is stupid!! But I really have no idea and would love to know!)

sunnydays
06-11-2011, 09:34 PM
I had five interviews right in the beginning that didn't work out and each time I really thought it was going to work out! Just to say, never count on it until the deposit cheque is in your hand. I learned not to get excited too soon :)