PDA

View Full Version : Foot art advice please

Spixie33
02-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Hi....

Today we made a nice red footprint set to be in the shape of hearts for Valentines but it makes me scared to do footprint art each time because the clean up is so messy.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do footprint art in a way that isn't so time consuming/strenuous?

here is what I do currently --

I paint the foot (or feet depending) and then they step on the paper.....I then carry each child to the sink to wash their feet with soap and water. This is no easy task since some of the kids are 3 & 4 and quite heavy for my back. Then I give them a paper towel and help them dry their feet and put their socks back on.

I was thinking of setting up a station or small rubbermaid tub with water beside the area where we paint but that still sounds like a lot of set up.

There are so many cute footprint activities on Pinterest but I am scared to do them more than every 6 months because it is just so hard to carry everyone and lift them to the sink etc.

Any tips??

Inspired by Reggio
02-06-2013, 01:10 PM
When I am doing it INSIDE I always do a foot craft ONE AT A TIME .... so the others can either sit and watch or go play ... I also do the 'foot soak bath' beside where we are working cause I cannot lift children up to the sink it would kill my back!

I agree that footprint art inside is time consuming and I personally only do them as a GIFT for the parent ... aka on a canvas, tshirt, apron or something that is meant to be saved and cherished to make the time and effort worth while ... if it is something on a piece of paper that is just going to get 'thrown out' I would not bother with the 'foot print' :o

In the summer months we do 'footprint painting for fun' outside on large pieces of easel roll paper and they can hose their own feet off out there and put their sandals back on and so forth ... than there is very little work for me cause the 'mess' can get hosed away at the end of the day ;)

sunnydays
02-06-2013, 01:11 PM
I wish I had advice...I go through the same as you each time I do footprint art or handprint art for that matter. I do one at a time while the others do something else so that they don't get bored waiting...and I do carry each one to the sink, but you are right...a rubbermaid container might be easier on the back...atlhough then you have to worry about it getting spilled etc. I am planning to do footprint hearts too (thanks Pinterest)...but my youngest two are away this week...so I will do it with the older kids and then do the other two when they come back (breaking it up can help). That would be my only suggestion...do one a day until they are all done...just to save the back.

playfelt
02-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Sounds gross but what about doing it in the sink itself? Ideal if you have a double sink - put paper in one side, have child sit on edge, paint feet, stand to get print, move child to other side to wash off feet and then sit to get dried off.

At minimum do the prints right at the sink so it is possible to just do print and then direct to sink.

Having a bucket of water to step in works - best for outside.

Momof4
02-06-2013, 05:27 PM
I rarely do a footprint craft because it's INSANE! My method is a pieplate with the paint that they step into one foot at a time, next step paper, next step soapy water in a bowl with a cloth and I wash one foot at a time and dry it with a towel. I have the child sit on the stair step while I do the washing then stand back up and repeat with the other foot. But I'm taking a big chance of getting my beige carpet on my stair painted and that's what scares me.

Spixie33
02-06-2013, 08:38 PM
When I am doing it INSIDE I always do a foot craft ONE AT A TIME .... so the others can either sit and watch or go play ... I also do the 'foot soak bath' beside where we are working cause I cannot lift children up to the sink it would kill my back!

I agree that footprint art inside is time consuming and I personally only do them as a GIFT for the parent ... aka on a canvas, tshirt, apron or something that is meant to be saved and cherished to make the time and effort worth while ... if it is something on a piece of paper that is just going to get 'thrown out' I would not bother with the 'foot print' :o

In the summer months we do 'footprint painting for fun' outside on large pieces of easel roll paper and they can hose their own feet off out there and put their sandals back on and so forth ... than there is very little work for me cause the 'mess' can get hosed away at the end of the day ;)

Doh I didn't state that I did each child one at a time too....and I often break up the 'project' so that I do some kids one day and then some of the PTers on a different day. It is just awful regardless.
The kids love me carrying them to the sink like a princess and giggle and we make it fun but meanwhile my body is screaming "help!" lol

I have only done footprint projects about once a year and usually for gifts but I sure would love to do more when they have those cute butterfly ones you can do and some where you can make their feet into a lobster or a tractor for the boys....etc. There are so many ideas but I just don't think I have it in me.

Even carrying a Rubbermaid of water would be heavy and then they would likely splash and it would involve more cleanup.

THe kids love love love the days where I paint their feet but I feel bad we can't do it more often and try some of these other ideas.

Also.....I would definitely recommend that everyone paint using a big fat paintbrush to get paint onto the feet rather than stepping into a tray of paint. The steeping into paint tends to over-saturate the feet and then you get a blurry/messy foot versus painting a layer of paint on yourself.

I recommend a fat brush because a small one will lead to a lot of giggles and struggle for the child to stay still whereas a fat brush will mean about 2-3 passes and you are ready to print.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. i was hoping someone had a magical solution. I guess footprint art is better for a mom to do with her own child rather than a provider having to do it with 5 kids.

Inspired by Reggio
02-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Oh I agree with the painting the feet with a brush Spixie ~ most kids love the 'tickle' part of that and it ensures that you only get the paint where needed and that most of it transfers to the paper and than less to clean off ... when I am doing footprint 'gifts' I am typically using acrylic paint verses 'kiddie paint' and I do not want excess waste or excess clean up ... I save the messy stepping in the paint options for outside in the summer!

I also do not put a lot of soapy water in the bowl for it to be heavy or spill ... just enough to rinse the cloth off as I wash their feet ~ for me it weighs way LESS than any child in my program would being lifted to the sink that would honestly kill my back!

I also put a big old 'daycare only' towel down on the floor by their feet and put the water bin on it so that if they slop or step down with paint still on the foot it would go down on the old towel and not my floor cause with using acrylics that would suck for sure!

samantha3
02-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Reggio, what type of paint do you use outside for this. I do a similar activity but find the paint always stains my concrete and I have to get out the scrub brush to get it off....

Would love your thoughts :)

Inspired by Reggio
02-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Reggio, what type of paint do you use outside for this. ...

Liquid Tempera with LOTS of dish soap stirred into it and than I just hose down the area on the high/hard spray ... we usually do this on the deck though which is stained and sealed so it is harder for paint to stick to it ... got some on the stamped concrete last summer and it washed off but you are correct the red left a little faint pink stain that the sun took about a week to fade and my man was giving me the stink eye that it better not be permanent!