PDA

View Full Version : Screaming for fun

sunnydays
06-09-2011, 12:07 PM
I have an 11 month old (my own daughter) who has started screaming very shrilly for fun or when she gets frustrated; I have been ignoring it, but now two of my daycare kids (19 months and 21 months) have starting copying her and I can't take the shrieking in stereo (they usually do it at the table during meals)! I have tried saying no to the two older kids, but they continue and of course the 11 month old continues as well. Any advice on how to stop them from screaming???

Judy Trickett
06-09-2011, 12:09 PM
EVERY time she screams you stop her and sit her on the floor with NOTHING to do for a few minutes. Right there, on the spot.

And when you do it you give your mean eye too!

sunnydays
06-09-2011, 12:54 PM
She does it when she's in her booster seat and most of the time it's because she wants to get out, which is why I was ignoring it, so if I take her out and put her on the floor, I am giving her what she wants...I guess I should have put this in my original post. Any more suggestions?

Sarah
06-09-2011, 01:35 PM
My daughter was doing this to get out of her chair too. What I did worked wonderfully and took only 2-3 days

Every time she screamed, I turn her chair facing the wall and ignored her until she stopped acting out. Of course I told her not to scream, gave her my meanest eyes...

My son on the other hand is older and started doing this because his sister was doing it, and he didn't want to stop, even if I was giving him consequences. So what I did for him (he was 4) is to scream just like him, non stop, when he was doing it. The first meals, he found it to be lots of fun, of course. But the screaming started to get on his nerves, and that is when I doubled it!!! LOL!!!

Needless to say that he now understands what it feels like to bug other people or to be bugged by other people!!!!

Good luck

sunnydays
06-09-2011, 01:41 PM
I have tried the turning the chair around for the older toddlers and it didn't work because they just twist their heads around to see the others and it doesn't seem to bother them. I have tried removing them from the table and making them sit on the step right outside the room and it upset the 19 month old a lot and I think it could work for her, but the 21 month old seems unphased by these time-outs and it doesn't seem to upset him at all! I haven't tried turning the chair with my 11 month old though, so maybe I'll give it a shot. I have the feeling that if I can get her to stop then the rest of them will be easier to stop as well. My three year old doesn't do the screaming...although he comes with his own set of challenges (cries all the time these days!), so I won't need it for him. Thanks for the input!

Sarah
06-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Welcome!

By the way, the whining kids do not like to be imitated. It annoys them if you whine just like them. They will see what they look like if you do it too. (talking about the 3 years old, not younger then this)

Sometimes positive reinforcement works better on certain kids. Remember that by saying "do not scream" you always works towards pushing the idea in. You reinforce the behavior instead of stopping it. So make sure you use words like "good you guys are talking softly today!" You get my point? (sorry not my first language so...)

mom-in-alberta
06-09-2011, 02:13 PM
You may not want to hear this, but I would just ignore it. It's an attempt at garnering attention, it sounds like. I have a couple of little boys who like to shriek, and it's a horrendous sound. I say firmly "We use INSIDE, QUIET voices". And proceed to give it nothing further. It may be a loud few days, but I have the feeling that they will figure out that screaming gives them nothing but a grumpy mommy/provider.

Judy Trickett
06-09-2011, 05:02 PM
She does it when she's in her booster seat and most of the time it's because she wants to get out, which is why I was ignoring it, so if I take her out and put her on the floor, I am giving her what she wants...I guess I should have put this in my original post. Any more suggestions?

Ah, okay. Then you do it the same way I do it with kids who wake up screaming. When they scream you tell them they are NOT getting out until they stop. Walk away. When they stop for even a second walk back and start to get them out. If they start up again you tell them again they are not getting out until they stop screaming. Walk away....

Keep up that pattern until they "get" that screaming means staying in the chair and you walk away and being quiet means you turn around and come back.

mumstheword
06-13-2011, 01:04 PM
I have a little one that just came through the screaming stage. Her parents think it`s funny so it`s hard for her to understand that I DON`T think it`s cute or funny. I just kept saying NO screaming, gave her my evil eye and would not feed her while she screamed. She also was not allowed down while she was screaming. It will come to an end...someday, lol. For the older ones I would take away their lunch and put them in a time out. You also have to remember not to use the chair as a babysitter. I know it`s hard with a busy little one, but if they are in the chair a lot, while you are cleaning up or making lunch or going to the washroom or doing something with the older children, the little one will think of the chair as prison! Also, does she have something to play with or distract her while sitting in the chair? How about playing some music during lunch time. Also make sure you say, good girl for not screaming today and give big hugs or high fives for the older kids, even a treat as a reward for not screaming.
Good luck

Skysue
06-21-2011, 01:38 PM
all 5 of mine sream for fun everytime I turn on the vacuum and run aroud! It's hillarious! LOL

KingstonMom
06-21-2011, 03:50 PM
My own 14 month old is a yeller for fun too. I believe it is a phase that will run its course.
The others often copy him as well at times, and mostly in their highchairs when lunch is over.
I think Judys advice sounds good, I usually just try to ignore the screaming, but I can feel the grey hairs coming in when I do lol
Maybe try singing a very quiet song like abcs. this may make them quiet down to hear what you singing.... temporarly probably lol