PDA

View Full Version : I just got Screwed

Smitty
02-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Well it happened. I had to enforce a new policy and insist on paid missed days and a part time rate. Funny how the mean side of people comes out. I have NEVER EVER been spoken to that way from anyone. I will learn my lesson and from now on get a two week deposit. Demanding tax reciept and childs things but they owe me two weeks plus yesterday. :(

mom-in-alberta
02-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Oh no.... :(
I am sorry to hear. I know it's hard to see the upside, but it's probably better that they are gone. It would have been something else eventually, anyway!! Better now than later.

mimi
02-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Be proud you stood up for your policies :star: and sorry to hear you took a verbal beating for it. How about following the rules and respecting the provider who cares for your child? Is that really so much to ask?:no:

Crayola kiddies
02-06-2013, 04:18 PM
I have a clause in my policy book that says receipts will only be issued for fully paid terminated care .... So if she wasn't paid in full I would have withheld the receipt

gramma
02-06-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm sitting in your shoes right now so I know exactly how you feel. its all about lesson learned. Get the right deposit and never assume that they think of you as anything more than a babysitter.

Momof4
02-06-2013, 05:08 PM
I learned the hard way with my very first clients running out on me without notice or paying. It's a rough business to learn but it makes us tougher and stronger and we learn to enforce our contracts to the letter and be fair with all the families, but strict.

Smitty
02-07-2013, 11:57 AM
I have not issued the tax reciept. They have not been by to pick up the childs things and I dont have it ready anyway. So i guess they will get it when I get paid?

Inspired by Reggio
02-07-2013, 01:13 PM
I know lots of childcare programs have the 'tax receipts will only be issued to accounts in good standing' .. even licensed centre programs to 'scare' clients into paying outstanding fees but the reality is that it is basically an empty threat .... we are legally required to provide a receipt for any childcare paid by a client on or before February 28th for the following year ... so for 2012 fees receipts must be out by end of the month!

I would not include 'outstanding' fees of course but if the dude demands his receipt you'd have to either give it for what he has paid or risk him reporting you to CRA and having them looking into your business practices :(

Fun&care
02-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Its unreal how often parents take advantage of caregivers. As a caregiver though, once it happens you will toughen up. It's to the point that every family that walks though the door, I think of how if they could screw me, how would they do it? Sounds terrible I know, but this way I am always prepared.:D

apples and bananas
02-07-2013, 01:36 PM
But he owes you for fees paid this year right? So hold his receipt until Feb 2014. You can tell him that you are holding his reciept and you are looking forward to full payment. It's all how you word it! For example "I'm sorry, but I will not issue your receipt until you pay your account in full" opposed to "I am holding your receipt. Please forward payment for Jan XX - Feb XX' It's true, you're holding their receipt! Until FEb 2014. Sometimes if we play with people they end up paying.

Good luck, I hope you get your money out of them.

These are good lessons to learn that make us much better at what we do.

Inspired by Reggio
02-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Oh yes sorry I assumed this was a client whose been with you a while ... if they are new as of January 2013 and they did not pay you anything in 2012 than I would not be issuing a tax receipt to them until February 2014 either cause you have until than to 'do your tax forms' ... they can not use a 2013 fees on their 2012 income tax anywhere so it would just get 'lost' waiting until next April when they can actually use it ;)

Smitty
02-08-2013, 06:44 PM
No I did provide care in 2012. I lost $ on the day I DID provide care this week plus the two weeks that they should be paying me. They paid me cash every week except a couple of e-transfers so I could just put those two weeks on their tax reciept. Also they are NOT getting a tax reciept until February 28 and they can come and get it. They still have not come to pick up their stuff so it just feels like anytime they show up it will be a conflict. Not fun waiting for that.

Inspired by Reggio
02-08-2013, 08:21 PM
I personally would not put any fees from 2013 on their 2012 receipt ~ just the fees for 2012 and yes I would make them wait until the last possible day myself why should you go out of your way when they screwed you over?

Anything they paid so far in 2013 I would make them wait until February 28th 2014 to get that receipt!