PDA

View Full Version : Fire escape plan?

Dreamtree
06-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Hello!

Can anyone tell me how they went about planning a fire drill route for their daycare and what it entailed? I am wanting to come up with one myself...

Thanks!

Play and Learn
06-10-2011, 08:58 AM
While working in a center, we usually blew a whistle 3 times. We had the children calmly walk to a door, and then walk outside to the nearest building.

Ask a neighbour if they can be your emergency contact area - where you congregate to. Then once a month do your fire escape plan. Try it from different areas of your home. For example, if I'm in my basement, I know how to open the basement windows easily to shove the children out. OR we have a door from the basement that leads to outside. Try from upstairs, if you're eating lunch - what should you do?

Luckily in our home we have 4 doors leading to outside on the main floor, and one door from the basement out!

Oh, and you want to be sure you have the emergency contact numbers close by that you can reach. What if your home is actually on fire, and you need to call the parents?!?! Usually we have a bag with wipes, diapers, contact numbers, sweaters (just in case, you never know).

Dreamtree
06-10-2011, 12:34 PM
That's great, thanks Play and Learn!