PDA

View Full Version : Snow painting

sunnydays
02-13-2013, 02:08 PM
For those of you who have tried spraying food colouring and water on snow with the kids, I have a question:
Does it stain the kids mittens, clothing, etc ? (I am sure they will want to touch it)

I really want to try it, but want to make sure I don't open up a whole new can of worms ;)

kidlove
02-13-2013, 03:35 PM
i have noticed, if you mix it so the color is lighter it really doesnt color them much at all, like 6-8 drops in a whole bottle of water. you should be fine. IF you have kids with really nice outdoor clothes, i.e girls with light pink snow pants or kids with light colored mittens and boots, perhaps let the parents know of your plans ahead of time so they can bring alternate wear that day, just in case. Or lend the kids some junky mits so you don't have to worry. I have never had any issues, but I think most of my kiddos have had black snow pants and dark colored coats. It's fun though!

torontokids
02-13-2013, 04:46 PM
how do you do this? With a spray bottle?

sunnydays
02-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Yes, food colouring and water in spray bottles :) I have to get some spray bottles at the dollar store this weekend, but would love to try this activity next week...just don't want multi-coloured snowsuits afterwards ;)

Inspired by Reggio
02-13-2013, 05:17 PM
IME Dollar store spray bottles are cheap and easy option for this ... you do not need a lot of food coloring to make it work and I have never had issues with staining.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/totallyawake/WinterFun7.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/totallyawake/WinterFun3.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/totallyawake/WinterFun2.jpg

sunnydays
02-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks so much for sharing the pictures reggio! I am no longer afraid to try this. Spray bottles are on my "must buy" list this weekend...now if I can only get out of the dollar store with less than $50 worth of other stuff I see and "must buy"...LOL I buy giant bottles of food colouring at the daycare supply store here in Ottawa, so I always have that on hand. Looks like fun!

Inspired by Reggio
02-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks so much for sharing the pictures reggio!

You're welcome ~ I am a visual learner myself and seeing a photo example of something helps me to figure out how to do it and not be so afraid of trying it myself ... one of the reasons why I :wub: Pinterest so much ~ so visual and when making a new recipe or what not knowing what it is suppose to look like ;)

mlle.coccinelle
02-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Oh! too bad snow is almost gone here because we would have done that for sure!
I have to remember that for next winter!!!!!!!

and....... i :wub: Pintrest too! :D

Spixie33
02-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Oh fun. I wonder if this would be a good idea to do with jello or koolaid instead. That may be easier on the clothes??

sunnydays
02-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Might work, but they might be more tempted to drink it or eat the snow...let me know if you try it!

Oh fun. I wonder if this would be a good idea to do with jello or koolaid instead. That may be easier on the clothes??

Inspired by Reggio
02-14-2013, 05:59 PM
We paint with all sorts of things outside .... cannot hurt to try ~ it would provide a new sensory experience to it of the smell and potential taste .... but honestly you only need 1-2 drops of food coloring in the whole bottle for it to color the snow or ice as they spray it and unless they are spraying themselves on purpose it should not be straining .... little pink and white snowsuit girl always washed up each Monday like new when they brought back her snowsuit after a week of outside fun ;)