PDA

View Full Version : Starting Out Next Week

mommak
02-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Hello All!
This is my first post. I have 2 girls.. one is 2 and the other is 7 months. Starting next week I will be taking care of two boys. For the first few weeks it will be random days just to orient everyone. Starting mid March it will be full time. The two boys are 3.5 and almost 1.

I am just trying to pick some brains and figure somethings out.

What are the things that you find most useful when it comes to interacting with the kids, activities, circle time, etc.

Any tips on blending the kids together so my girls don`t feel overwelmed?

What do you do with the kids when you are preparing meals/snacks to occupy them?

How do you find time to still get your own stuff done?

I am feeling a bit overwelmed and could really use some advice at this point.

Thank you all so much.

BlueRose
02-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Don't expect things to be perfect. Be FLEXIBLE, go with the flow until you find your rhythm.
When I started last October my two boys were overwelmed. So I stopped trying to make them all play together and gave them time to get to know one another on their terms.

- keep some of your girls toys just for them (in their rooms)

When cooking I let the kids have free play.

As for doing house work - I do a small amount during quiet time, BUT still make sure I have time to sit and relax. Quiet time is the only break you get so enjoy it. ex: one day I will clean the bathroom, the next I will sweep and mop the daycare/living area etc.

cfred
02-13-2013, 04:06 PM
BlueRose is right on the money! Flexibility is key and don't be hard on yourself or get too frustrated at the beginning. You WILL find your stride and one day it'll just hit you....'hey! I"ve got my $#@% together!". That's a pretty awesome moment! It takes time to get to know the kids and the business.

Doing a little every day is a great idea regarding housework. What I tend to do is have a cleaning blitz on Friday night. I'll disinfect toys in the kitchen sink while kids have free play for the last hour of daycare. Then go nuts getting all mopping, clean bathrooms, dust, etc so it's all done in one evening. It usually takes me a couple hours, then finished. I like my weekends free! I save laundry because, for me, it's a valid excuse to relax. I do it all in one day and sit in front of a good movie to fold it all.

Yup, free play is an awesome tool while cooking!

Don't stress, it'll all be okay :)

Momof4
02-13-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm glad you plan on going slowly for the first few weeks. That's really important. You will have to learn what the children like to eat, how well they sleep at naptime, what are their interests for toys, colouring, crafting - or not! Take the time to let the children get to know each other and give yourself time to observe them closely.

Then you can make a plan for the next month once they have gotten to know each other naturally without it being forced on them. Try a song once in a while or finger puppets with songs or read a story but do these things sporadically throughout the day so they get the feel for those things before you try to get them to sit still and pay attention for any length of time.

I too let the children freeplay while I prepare meals but I prep the night before as much as possible so it won't take me away from the children for very long, especially when I have a very young group. One of my tricks when I want all the children in one place whether it's so I can cook or because they are getting a little too feisty is to put them all in their booster chairs at the table and give them colouring pages or scissors and paper for practice or playdo. Sometimes that's when I do my circle time too. A 'captive audience' haha really works!