PDA

View Full Version : Help....I need to relocate

BlueRose
02-14-2013, 10:28 AM
I have had enough with both the agencies i am with. Its been one thing after another. My problem is I am only finding clients who want subsidy.

My husband and I are planning on moving sometime next year and as much as I love this area we will it would be best for my business if we find a new neighbourhood.

I am currently in the west end of Ottawa, where Carling Ave and Richmand Rd.cross

We would like to stay in the westend but not in the Seven or Pinecrest school areas. We would travel East, but not to far.

Does anyone know of any areas where I would be able to get private clients, so I can drop the agencies.

Monday 2 Friday Mama
02-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Hi Bluerose, I'm also in Ottawa (Kanata area) I've never worked with an agency - I looked into it when I was first starting out, but truthfully, there seems to be no shortage of people who need daycare. It may take some time to find clients who "fit" with your hours, etc. but I think daycare is the one industry that is recession-proof - there's always going to be babies who need to be taken care of. LOL Advertise in the usual places on-line (kijiji, daycarebear) and be sure to mention that you have experience - that seems to seal the deal for parents. :D

cfred
02-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Hi BlueRose! Monday 2 Friday has great ideas and it's so great that she's from your area...great!

I'm not in the Ottawa area, but I did just relocate my business in July. I made a couple changes which have helped my business immensely. First, I put my daycare on the main floor of my town house. People I interviewed, literally across the board, all said they liked it on the main floor. They liked the bright play space, the fact that there was a bathroom and kitchen right there, plus access to outside is a breeze. I was intending to put it in my basement post renovation, but had such overwhelming response to the upper level, I decided to leave it as is. I'll renovate the basement the way my family likes it instead. I also had my brother in law create a website for me. I can't tell you how important that has been for my business! I've had people tell me that I was the only one they talked to because of that alone. They said they liked the 'professionalism' of it. The last woman I spoke to, who I unfortunately had to turn away, said she was impressed with it and figured that someone who put that much effort into a website obviously takes her job very seriously. I said she shouldn't discount other providers because of that as it's not necessarily indicative of their skill level. However, that was her view as well as several others. Plus, it can open you up to be found in Google searches, which is an invaluable tool when in a new area having to build your reputation all over again. I don't know anything about computers or web design and was fortunate to have a family member who does. It didn't cost much and has paid off in spades. He used a template for mine from a website. If you want to have a look, pm me and I'll send you the link to my site for ideas. The design was already there, I just had to add photos and script. It won't be the only thing to snag clients, but, in my experience, it can definitely give you a leg up over competitors.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, but I can say that I found these things very helpful in filling up. By the 4 month mark, I was full....thank goodness, because I was in a panic! I now have a waiting list 4 deep, for the first time :) Good luck to you! I hope it all goes well and you have a new home full of kiddies soon!

playfelt
02-14-2013, 12:24 PM
I would think that in any newer subdivision area that there will be a need for caregivers as those areas tend to attract young families.

Maybe you could drop some hints to your home visitor with the idea of gee maybe I should just move to where the kids are instead any ideas, lol. and then hope she has a couple areas to suggest.

Not sure if hte CCPRN would have any statistics on something like this but they do put out a survey that has rates across the city. That might give you an idea too of what the going rates are for an area since it does vary quite a bit.

For sure I would start by thinking about your own children and the school area I would like for them and the proximity to activities they might be doing such as dance, soccer, gymnastics, etc. Again if those things are there then there are probably other young familes in the area too.

sunnydays
02-14-2013, 12:33 PM
I moved in August and was worried...but have found my new area to be even better than the old neighbourhood! As long as there are lots of young families in the area, you should be fine. Also, when you are looking for a house, think about the daycare. If you have a great space and a great program, you will be able to get clients without an agency. Good luck!

Crayola kiddies
02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Hi blue rose .... I've never been with an agency and im full ....I'm just outside of barrhaven .... Barrhaven daily rate is about $45/day

BlueRose
02-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Thank you everyone.

I do have a website and can be found on google search I have been advertising since last June.

Right now I am in a building (ground floor). I keep rearranging things and the daycare looks really good. Both my advisers are very impressed and asked if they could photograph it to show others. We really want to move into a house, put it will be at lest a year before we can move. We are just trying to find out where we should move to.

my main problem is the age rule that the agencies require you to follow. Most of the people who call wanting private all have children under 2. I already have my two under two. I need older kids which are harder to find.

playfelt
02-15-2013, 08:53 AM
If the agency isn't able to provide you with older kids then maybe now is the time to consider leaving the agency in the sense that if there are calls for private then having even one more under 2 gives you more income than now - even having two under two would give you more income than now since the agency wouldnt' be skimming. Take that dab extra in income and set it aside for a downpayment on a house. Even a townhouse assuming the complex has no restrictions tends to attract the families in the same complex or at minimum attract more than a condo/apartment does.

cfred
02-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Playfelt is exactly right. The age restrictions and skimming were the exact reasons I didn't go through an agency. You may as well keep that extra for yourself. You said you're mainly getting calls for people looking for subsidy? Are those just through the agency or do you get them privately as well. But yes, it does sound like it could be a location problem.

Playfelt also mentioned the notion of starting with a townhouse, which is a good idea for different reasons, the main being affordability. But also, they are considered a starting home, so lots and lots of young families just getting started.

BlueRose
02-15-2013, 09:25 AM
I have talk to other caregivers in the area and they all are with agencies. They say it is hard to find private in this area.

I do private as well. I am just finding it hard to find the right ages or for family's who don't want a discount. I am already at the lower fee end for this area.

We do still need to rent for a few more years. We have some debt we need to take care of before the bank will let us buy.

a townhouse would be perfect.

cfred
02-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Well, hopefully you can find something that'll work for you in a neighbourhood with better daycare prospects for you. I was in exactly your position a year ago, with the exception that I couldn't even get agency kids being out in the boonies. Buying a house was completely a spur of the moment decision as I too had a little debt to take care of and had always been scared to take the plunge. I'll bet, once you move from your area into a new one, you'll fill quickly.

Yup, townhouses fit the bill nicely :) Good luck BlueRose :)