PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor play set equipment question

kelleyg19
02-15-2013, 02:16 PM
I have been looking at getting an outdoor play set (swing set), my question is would you buy a set that has two swings and a slide or buy a set that has swings slide and playhouse all in one. I have a pretty large back yard so space isn't a huge issue just not sure what type of design we should go with. Your experiences and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

playfelt
02-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Keep as much as you can away from the swings since it will be the older kids using the swings and you want somethign the little ones can do in another area but not so far away you can't supervise. Think very carefully about the ages you will have in care and if they will even use the swings much or would the space better be used for something else.

Dreamalittledream
02-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Agreed; avoid swings. You will be spending your time helping them up, there's the risk of falling/swinging into other little ones...pushing constantly (not sure of your enrollment numbers but I try not to get too occupied in order to keep a watchful eye out). My little ones love: Slides, Cube climber, Sandboxes (I actually have 3...one with a digger, one with colored sand, one big normal one...I rotate between them), playhouse and kitchen (under my upper deck, so they're protected.

mom-in-alberta
02-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Agreed, you need to think about the ages for sure. I have a playset in the back that the little ones don't go up on, because they cannot climb up properly. But the big kids love it.

The way I get around the swing issue is to teach them to swing on their bellies, LoL. The swing is under their armpits and they can push themselves. Hard to fall off that way, and they cannot get enough momentum to injure themselves or anyone else.

kelleyg19
02-15-2013, 03:08 PM
My kids ages in the summer will be: 2, 2 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6 years old. I have only been in business since last July so I don't have a lot for outside. I have a sandbox but the kids didn't really like it and balls, basketball set, and water table. Want something that the kid will enjoy as I like to haw them outside as much as possible when it's nice out.

Wonderwiper
02-15-2013, 03:18 PM
I have both types of slide sets. A big wooden structure with clubhouse, slide, 2 swings and 2 seat glider. I also have a large little tykes plastic playhouse, toddler sized climber with a slide and a small stand alone slide. They are on opposite sides of the yard.