PDA

View Full Version : Fixed, rotating food schedule?

DaycareLady
02-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Does anyone use a fixed lunch schedule? I am thinking of trying this, as I have been stressing over lunches? I have 7 in my care all ranging from baby up to 2 1/2 and I was making extra dinner and serving that the next day but it jut isn't working for this age group! My close friend works at a daycare centre and she mentioned that they have a 3 or 4 week lunch schedule that they just rotate weekly and then switch up every 6 months! I was thinking of planning out 2 weeks of lunches ( snacks are easier and will not be the same) to see how it goes....I find the kids don't get bored as much as I do and something they had on a Monday this week and then not again until 2 weeks later will be enough of a gap? Anyone have experience with this? Also looking for some easy, healthy lunch ideas!!

cfred
02-18-2013, 08:46 AM
I've just been doing my menu a week in advance and writing it in the journal by the cubbies. I think I'd get bored of a fixed menu, but it does help me to have something planned out ahead of time, even if it's just a week at a time. This way, I find I can keep lots of variety and also leave more flexibility to utilize great specials.

My kids are in the same age group as yours. We eat mainly vegetarian with a little fish here and there. Some of the things I serve that go over well are:

- Quinoa muffins, cheese, yogourt, fruit
- mushroom quinoa, tomato/cucumber/feta salad
- beetroot risotto (dead easy to make), baked egg, veg
- Swedish pancakes with berries and yogourt (swedish pancakes similar to crepes, with lots of egg and milk-good protein)
- fish with garlic, lemon & butter, lemon rice, veg
- Impossible quiche, veg, potato
- veggie omelet, toast
- cauliflower/blue cheese/quinoa soup with toast (super easy and really good)
- Saag Paneer, rice. I was shocked when they ALL scarfed this one down!
- Butter 'chicken', rice, veg (used paneer instead of chicken)
- brown beans, toast, diced tomatoes

Those are the most popular ones with my kidlets. Most of them are good because you can make up ahead of time. The Impossible Quiche is a big one as it only takes a few minutes to make and can freeze quite well. The soup freezes quite well too.

playfelt
02-18-2013, 10:19 AM
The problem with a fixed menu is that it doesn't allow you to take advantage of the weekly specials at the grocery store. You would do better to start with the grocery ads - thursday in my paper and then make up a menu for daycare/family for the coming week or even two weeks based on those ads so yes you are buying some of what you need for week two on sale the first week and then augmenting with fresh stuff which is somewhat the same week to week.

I don't worry too much about variety because the kids don't appreciate it. They like things a certain way and are quite content if chicken is always one way where an adult appreciate varying the spices and sauces a lot more. Because I serve mostly finger foods to all age groups so I don't have to make several meals to cover all the ages just having a house of basic items works for me. It might be boring to everyone else but the kids are happy and eat and my parents appreciate that more than how much I vary the menu.

Spixie33
02-18-2013, 01:09 PM
I kind of rotate menu. Not exactly but I do spaghetti only once every two weeks and then I do a creamy soup every other week. Then one week I do a beef goulash with rice and the alternating week I do chicken with rice. Lasagna is also every other week and the next week I flip it with a beef noodle soup.

I also think it is fine to serve the same meal two days in a row (with a different fruit or veggie side). My family eats the same meal two or three days and I don't want to cook new food for the DCK if there is still perfectly good food to use. I never hear any complaints from the daycare parents about it but it does happen once a week at least.

Momof4
02-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Completely agree with Playfelt! I started out with a menu but tossed it out after a few months. It was making my life difficult. I serve lots of nutritious, home cooked food and lots of fresh produce. It's much simpler for me when I can fill up the crock pot the night before and get it heating up first thing in the morning. When we are outside too long it's great to be able to chop up some ham and cheese chunks and pepper strips with other veggie sitcks and get back on schedule. We are a busy group so I've learned to streamline my menu so it is never a worry. I keep things in the fridge for a quick changeup in case we get delayed for a meal.

Cfred, you serve exotic foods! I pretty much stick to chicken, beef, pork or fish along with a couple of veggies, a grain and a fruit for lunch. Breakfast is bacon or sausages or a grain product with fruit and afternoon snack is usually yogurt or cheese, fruit or a grain product. I have always had picky eaters in care but right now my group is pretty easy going, just one picky veggie eater.

I don't blame all of you who are cooking for your family and using the leftovers the next day for lunch. That would save lots of time. My children are grown so it's the opposite for me. The fresh meal of the day is served at lunch and I eat leftovers for dinner. :laugh:

cfred
02-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I guess they do seem like exotic foods, Momof4. They're actually really easy and it's what we eat as a family, but I do the reverse of everyone else. When I prepare the food for lunch, I usually make enough for us to have for supper. Since reopening, to help draw people in, I'm trying to cater to a niche market of vegetarian, vegan and a strong focus on not supporting factory farming. Ethically raised meat is bloody expensive, so I serve mainly veg. I have to be pretty creative to keep the menu appealing to the adults and find things the kids like. As I read through my menu, I realize it may come across as sounding almost 'snooty'. Really, just trying a different angle, which is more in line with my own beliefs and seeing if I can use that to improve business. So far it's working, though some days, I could really dig some meatloaf or bacon.....

God I miss bacon..........

playfelt
02-18-2013, 07:32 PM
One way to set the menu is to set the basic ingredients and then decide that week what you are going to do with it. So for instance you might say Tuesday is hamburg day and then one week you make a meatloaf, the next week hamburgs in buns, sweet and sour meatballs, shepherd's pie, etc. so when shopping you then would be buying what would go with the hamburg. That at least helps you to have a planned but flexible and varied menu. Really there are only so many kinds of meats out there that it is what you do with it that gives the variety.

That is how I used to price out my food for taxes in the sense that I put the meat in for each day and then the extras such as jar of sauce, package of noodles, box of hamburg helper, etc.

bright sparks
02-18-2013, 09:21 PM
I dont think your foods sound exotic cfred. I think the food you offer is wonderful, exposing the children to foods that are not only superior in nutrition but also help the children have much more evolved pallets beyond produced foods which are layer upon layer of salt sugar and fat. It may not be regular everyday foods for some folks but once people try these foods they soon realize they are actually super easy to prepare. My meal plan does not include red meat, pork or lamb and is prodomenantly organic or antibiotic free and no processed foods. I serve only ground turkey, chicken and fish and vegetarian meals are regular as my own son is veggie and so I realize the huge benefits to cookking vegetarian meals. They cost a LOT less and also stay fresh much longer. I think its personal preference though so whatever works for a persons lifestyle. Back to the original question about rotating.....

I have tried many different ways of prepping meals for my daycare over the years and for the last two I find what works best for me is to cook once every 9 weeks. I have 15 meals and my recipes end up making enough for 5 kids x 3 so I have a 3 week menu that rotates three times. Its a busy weekend when I cook I admit but I have a way to busy week to be cooking an extra meal everyday and I dont feed my kids leftovers. I found when I cooked daily by the time i got to my evening mal I couldnt be bothered cooking any more and would be prone to eating unhealthy convenience food or eating out.

Shopping in the sales weekly from the flyers doesnt really work to well for my meal plan. I buy my whole grains..kamut or quinoa pasta, quinoa and brown basmati rice in bulk from a great organic supplier. It works out cheaper than in the store too which is a bonus. I also buy my meat direct from the farm too and portion everything, vacuum seal it and freeze it. Im sure that this seems above and beyond what I should do for my daycare kids but I somehow couldn't sleep at night knowing that I feed my family great nutritional food but feed the daycare kids whatever food is on sale which may not match my personal values when it came to nutrition. Dont get me wrong I buy what I can that is healthy and cheap but what I save there I invest on my organic extras.

I love only cooking once every 9 weeks and freeze everything in foil trays and reheat in the oven in the morning slowly while we are all busy with our program (no microwave) and it means I dont spend extra time cooking in the evenings which I couldnt possibly do with my own kids activities and night school and I couldnt imagine making a whole meal from scratch during the daycare day.

I think its just a matter of figuring out what works best in your routine and with your food preferences. Theres no right or wrong way as a rule.

DaycareLady
02-19-2013, 07:41 AM
Thanks everyone!!

DisneyPrincess
02-19-2013, 08:09 AM
I made a six weeks schedule that I have been using for the past year actually. I dont have anything complicated or meals you cant pronounce the names. I was told before I open, it doesnt have to be complicated for kids really. Plus I'm picky myself so I know nothing of stuffed mushrooms or beetroot rissoto... your good Cfed cause I'm more pâté chinois, homemade mac&cheese, roastbeef etc... of course it depends on specials for expensive meat like roastbeef (especially because they dont even eat it, at Christmas they didnt even eat the Turkey, I was crying since its sooooo good). On very special occasions like B-day of older children, they can decide and they say Kraft Diner and hot-dogs (happened twice in a year and no big-d with parents)... I do add vegies and they have fruits and cheese most snacks. It can happen that I will decide to do a new meal that is not on my 6 weeks schedules, I think its time I review my meals or create new schedule lol. They have milk at breakfast and lunch, juice at snacks. They'll grow up just fine :)

cfred
02-19-2013, 08:40 AM
I would love, love, love to do organic, and tried at one point. Unfortunately, it jacked up our grocery bill out of my reach. I usually have to pick and choose carefully with organics. It's sad that everyone can't afford to eat this way if they so choose, but man, it's sooooo expensive. Organic veggies will have to wait till summer when we harvest from our garden (love that!).

Honestly, I was completely overwhelmed with the notion of going vegetarian. I grew up on a farm so EVERY meal was the standard farm-folk meal - meat, veg, potato. It's taken lots of practice. I love cooking, so I don't mind much. I certainly raised an eyebrow at the beetroot risotto thinking it would be gross. Much to my surprise, it's really, really good...and so easy to make! I sent some leftovers home with a couple parents, who also loved it. Who knew beets, rice, wine and cheese could be good? I was as shocked as anyone.

I would, however, give my left arm for a good roast beef dinner...with yorkshire....and gravy.....mmmmmmmmm. I did, however, make some vegan 'pulled pork' a couple weeks ago for my family. Even my teen boys showered me with compliments like 'it was ok' and 'I didn't mind it'....feeling the love, lol. The taste was right on, but I didn't prepare the jackfruit properly, so texture was a little off. Next time.....

DisneyPrincess
02-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Is becoming vegan all about the animal not living anymore ?? I totally understand that and I hate animal getting killed for us to eat, I barely eat meat though. Its just the ''regular'' meat you know like hamburger meat, chicken, turkey and roastbeef... I think thats it. And the only reason why I eat it now its because I did as a child. I am extremely picky and I do not want to taste any new food that I didnt eat when I was little. My mom use to take away a meal I wouldnt eat and change it for me so... good job mom. As a grown up I cant change that bad habit, I tried but its psychological. That said, I eat perhaps 3 vegies and 2 fruits so, if I went vegetarian I would probably starve. I live on tiny portions of protein (meat, eggs) and starch (spaghetti, mashed patatoes, bread... and other bad food like hot-dogs (sometimes). Vegan is not an option for us sorry poor chicken :( :( :(

cfred
02-19-2013, 11:31 AM
No Disney Princess, it's not so much about the animal dying, but more they way they live and the way they die, if that makes sense. I grew up on a small farm (mainly laying chickens and cattle). Our cows lived in open pasture and had it pretty good, till they were shipped for slaughter, which is pretty unpleasant. The chickens have a miserable existence from beginning to end, in most places. My uncle had a large pig farm, so I got a good dose of the Pork industry too. I grew up with this and have always wrestled with it. So now I try to buy meat from farms that treat the animals well as a happy medium. I'm finding that even 'free range' as it pertains to birds is a bit of a misnomer, so I try to go beyond that and find specific farms that are very transparent in their practices. I've found a couple, but CHA CHING....hence the veggies. I love meat....love it! I miss it. But I have a hard time supporting the factory farms. Plus, I like to buy local as much as I can, for the whole environmental issue and to support our local, small farms. When I go on holiday to teeny islands, particularly very underdeveloped ones, I eat meat freely as I know it was raised and slaughtered there. Nothing added, no fancy packaging, etc. It's just better meat. BUT, as I write this, we still eat regular cheese, eggs and milk as the non-factory farm stuff is ridiculously expensive and I've not found a reasonable vegan alternative. And I still eat fish, but try to go sustainable if I can. I don't think I could ever go fully vegan. It's super intensive and goes right down the line of everything you do...a whole lifestyle change, right down to your clothes.

For me, it's just about the principle of trying to put in some effort. It probably doesn't make much of a difference, but I feel better about it. I have enjoyed finding the recipes and the research, so that helps too. I was thrilled to find the vegan pulled pork recipe and had some a client brought to me. It was soooooooo good and tasted like the real thing. Mine didn't, but I'll try again :) I would never judge anyone who still eats meat from whatever source. Eating ethically raised meats is just a choice I feel comfortable with for my family. Plus, I feel so much healthier and have lost a few pounds in the process :) Just in time for vacation!

monkeymama
02-19-2013, 11:56 AM
I plan my menus one week in advance....sundays i go through the flyers, make my family grocery list and decide on my meals for daycare as well...this works for me as it keeps my costs down and allows for some variety

bright sparks
02-19-2013, 01:38 PM
cFred...could I get the recipe for the veggie pulled pork please :) vegan is definitly a lifestyle which far surpasses just dietary. DisneyPrincess, add beans to everything to get a good dose of protein and also quinoa. With Quinoa pasta you get your protein and whole grain and you definitly won't be left feeling hungry. If soy agrees with you there are lots of options out there but I am allergic to soy and choose not to give it to my veggie son which is my biggest obsticle as these kinds of meat replacement products would make meal time much quicker but is still a processed food so I try to avoid it unless its just occasionally when we eat out and then he can have it.

A good dairy replacement is almond milk. It's richer and creamier than rice milk, is soy free and if you get the unsweetened then there isn't that sweet edge to it. I also buy my meat locally and actually know the farmer and his wife very well. When the weather is better I actually incorporate it into my weekly routine and go visit their emu's and see their chickens with the kids. They offer Organic and ABF chicken, Pork and Beef products. I see there animals and the chickens are undoubtably free to roam over a vast area :) They have organic eggs which are CRAZY cheap...$4.25 for organic is substantially less than grocery store prices and I can see exactly where they have come from. They have monthly specials which is when I tend to buy more of a certain item and also case sales. I don't serve meat everyday to make up for the higher cost of these products.

I have to say that all my daycare parents past and present say that my views on nutrition were one of the biggest deciding factors for them. I put a portfolio together in January and all my past and present families wrote references and blurbs for it. Every single one mentioned my healthy homemade nutritious menu. This is also why and how I justify charging at the top end for my area.

Momof4
02-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Psssssst, Cfred, I meant EXOTIC as a compliment! My cooking is boring and plain compared to yours, that's all.

cfred
02-19-2013, 09:44 PM
I took it as a compliment totally :) Upon looking at my post, I felt like I could be perceived as a bit of a 'food snob' though....they're actually really, really easy dishes. despite appearances. I allow 20-30 mins for meal prep, and that's about all any of those take. I'll bet your cooking is just delicious...if it's tasty, it can't be boring. I just love (I mean LOVE) cooking! I get very excited to learn how to make different styles of food, so finding cool veg recipes that help me meet dietary requirements really blows my hair back. Last year it was Asian food :) I adore comfort foods, but those, surprisingly, are my worst. I have no knack for it whatsoever. I can make a wicked Thai curry or rice paper rolls, but perfecting stew is completely beyond me.

Bright Sparks - here's a link for "pulled pork":

http://herestheveg.blogspot .ca/2012/03/jackfuit-pulled-pork.html

I won't send you mine as it sucked a bit. I just used one with premade bbq sauce, but I think would be better with homemade. Jack fruit is hard to find. Try Asian stores and get the stuff canned in brine, NOT SYRUP!!! When I get the recipe from my client's hubby, I'll forward it to you. It was to die for! I know he cooks his longer than the online recipes say to......hours and hours in the slow cooker. You can really fiddle with the recipe. One problem I had was a toughness. Though I had cut the core chunks out, the rind must have still been on. Other than that, the texture was good, taste was great. To serve, I buttered crusty rolls and fried them, then put on extra old cheddar slices and bread&butter pickles. Yum..... OH...and if you use premade bbq sauce, don't be shy with using a little extra liquid smoke :)

Now I'm hungry.......

sunnydays
02-20-2013, 01:17 PM
CFred your menu sounds amazing :) I also tend to cook meals that are nto traditional "kid foods". I use a lot of quinoa (all the kids learn to love quinoa) as well although I am not vegetarian. I really think kids will eat whatever they are exposed to (well sometimes it takes multiple times before they start to eat something). In most of the world, kids eat what the whole family eats...even very spicy foods. If they dont' want to eat it, they will go hungry..plain and simple. We let our kids become far too picky by worrying about what they will and will not eat.
To answer teh original question, I plan my menus on Sundays for one week ahead (after I have done the shopping so I know what I have). It works well for me and also makes it easy as I use leftover dinners mainly, so I always know what I am going to cook each evening :)

crafty
02-20-2013, 01:48 PM
I do a 2 weeks menu. I use a lot of simple favs. like ravioli, spagetthi, mac & chesse, lasagna, shepperds pie, soup, tuna melts, pancakes ... But I trhow in variety when I look at sales or even when I want to try something new myself. I love my crock pot so I am always looking for great complete meals to*prepare in my crock pot. The thing with planning 2 weeks ahead is that sometimes you can't take davantage of some sales or when something as not defrosted on time or your husband eats the last of what you needed ... You always need a back up plan :)

I like to plan ahead because I am on a strict budget so I find I am using exactly what I need and there is minimal spoilage.