PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

MonkeyMamma
02-18-2013, 08:24 AM
We are calling our home insurance company to discuss insurance this week. I am curious to know how much your car insurance is if you are using it for dc. I am planning to buy an older mini van in the next few months, but some are telling me that insurance can be 300 to 400a month if you are using it to transport dc kids!

playfelt
02-18-2013, 10:21 AM
A lot will depend on how often you are using the vehicle as that changes the risk factor. Going to playgroup once a week or a monthly outing is different than going back and forth to school twice a day and to playgroup inbetween.

MonkeyMamma
02-18-2013, 11:22 AM
I am only planning on driving once, maybe very rarely twice, a week for activities.

Inspired by Reggio
02-19-2013, 06:15 AM
Agreed ~ so many factors go into your vehicle insurance premium from your own driving record, previous claims, where you live and so forth.

My 'home childcare ryder' on the vehicle which basically just gives additional liability insurance for up to 5 children in place of the normal minimum for Ontario cost me less than $50 a month ... which works out to the comparison cost of 2 public transit trips a week but gives me the freedom to go out and about without concern over bus routes, waiting and so forth.

My advice when calling is to make sure that you are telling them you just want a 'home childcare ryder' because when I first started out I made the mistake of calling and saying I wanted to be able transport children to and from school and field trips as part of my business and what kind of insurance package do I need for this got quoted a NASTY premium of over $400 a month .... because they thought what I wanted was 'school bus / taxi / public transport insurance' where my prime business would be transporting children ALL DAY EVERYDAY which is not the case at all ... even if we do a school run daily it is not our 'prime' business to transport via the vehicle it is one short trip to and from so to speak and usually driving them within 'walking distance' we are just choosing to drive due to inclement weather and so forth cause if they are far enough away they'd be bused themselves via the school board ;)

bright sparks
02-19-2013, 07:54 AM
You highlight a great point Reggio. I have had insurance brokers try to put my application through as commercial in the past as they just werent listening to what I said. I am interested to know how much liability per child you have coverage wise. If there are 5 kids in a minivan and there was a nasty accident you would most definitly be requiring 1 mil per person. My regular insurance coverage is 2 mil for the total passengers in the car which is still more than the 1mil average on most policies and I do not have a daycare vehicle anymore so it isn't an issue now but was just curious about the particulars of the daycare ryder coverage.

DisneyPrincess
02-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Same here, I did add insurance for home of course and car (even though not using it like I was planning to go to child centers for activities) but it wasn't very much more a month. :)

cfred
02-19-2013, 08:48 AM
I just had my insurance upped to $2000,000. I don't recall it being much more either. $1499/yr.