PDA

View Full Version : OEYC, libraries etc

torontokids
02-26-2013, 12:29 PM
I am getting the sense from some phone interviews that parents are a bit hesitant when they hear of plans to travel to the OEYC etc. Do you find parents want this as a service or find this to be unsafe/a liability. The reality of this happening decreases as my group grows, maybe I shouldn't mention it as an option and sell my large back yard and the park across the road?

monkeymama
02-26-2013, 12:46 PM
I take my group for outings multiple times a week. This is a big part of my program. I completely understand parents reluctance, but parents who dont want this type of programing just arent the parents for me. I love running my program this way and see the benefits they children recieve every week.

Wonderwiper
02-26-2013, 12:47 PM
If you are getting that sense than for sure drop that from what you tell parents! I don't go to any public programs and my parents have no problem with that. We spend tons of time outside including the yard, playgrounds, walking trails etc. I don't have any indoor spaces within walking distance so not an option anyway.

Spixie33
02-26-2013, 12:49 PM
It is a big selling feature for your daycare if you have a library, park or OEYC within WALKING distance but a lot of parents get nervous when they hear of a provider transporting their children in a vehicle.

I think over half of parents get very nervous at the idea of a provider taking their child in a car. I get that question a lot during interviews and most parents are relieved when I say that we don't drive anywhere.

We usually have a OEYC satellite available within walking distance and parents light up when they hear that we attend the stay n play or a program there. I think it is probably the idea of driving that parents are nervous about.

Wonderwiper
02-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Exactly like monkey mama says.....if you really want to go to those places than you have to wait for the families that also want that.

torontokids
02-26-2013, 12:52 PM
It's within walking distance, the OEYC is offered at the library around the corner from my house. I think maybe I won't advertise it but if they ask then say that this is a option once the group is settled into the program and we can safely do so. I know that the OEYC (especially this one) ca be busy so as a parent I would worry as well about proper supervision etc.

Spixie33
02-26-2013, 01:04 PM
It's within walking distance, the OEYC is offered at the library around the corner from my house. I think maybe I won't advertise it but if they ask then say that this is a option once the group is settled into the program and we can safely do so. I know that the OEYC (especially this one) ca be busy so as a parent I would worry as well about proper supervision etc.

Some parents also don't know what OEYC is. I would highlight that it is within walking distance and explain that you would attend 2 hours a week or 4 etc and how great it is for the children to get out with a larger group. Explain that there are usually 2 ECEs there and the children enjoy the circle time with a larger group. It is a change of scenery for them.

I have told parents we go to OEYC and get blank stares until one of the parents ask "what is that?"

momofnerds
02-26-2013, 01:14 PM
there's a lady that advertises on kijijji that she takes the kids to oeyc 4x a week. so maybe thats what parents are thinking, that you hang out every single day of the week there. I would still use it as a selling point, esp. because its so close. I've had families who have never been to the library in our town and were surprised at how much their children loved it when i told them.

Fun&care
02-26-2013, 01:22 PM
If I was the parent I would be sorta ok with it, but would probably prefer that the group stays on the daycare premises most of the time, because I myself have witnessed other providers who when at the park or playground etc with their group they just do not supervise enough.

gravy_train
02-26-2013, 01:32 PM
I think you should fully disclose whether or not you take your kids out in the public sphere. The parents have a right to know where their children are and like others have said, if the parents aren't comfortable with that then maybe they aren't the right family for you.
I am in a similar situation to you in that when my group was smaller we were very active in the community - OEYC twice a week and library once a week. Now that my group is getting bigger (and it's winter) it's more challenging for us to get out and until I am a bit more established I don't have the funds to get the proper transportation (ie. a quad stroller). I tell all my parents just that - with a smaller group we were very active, are not so much now (although we do get out for walks around our neighbourhood every day and play in my yard), however in the future I hope to be able to attend those groups on a regular basis again.
I loved the playgroups because it gave me a chance to promote my business and interact with other adults!

torontokids
02-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Just to clarify, I would not hide that information. Parents would always be made aware of our daily plans etc. I just meant I am new at this so who knows what we will be doing really. Like you said, it's more realistic now since we are small but we probably won't do it as we get bigger because I would like to feel I can properly supervise everyone. I also have my own two kids so we will end up being a large group of 6 (fingers crossed!) in the end.

sunnydays
02-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Well if there is a possibility that you are going to do it, I would mention that at the interview because otherwise if parents sign on thinking you do not do outings, they may be upset when you suddenly want to take the kids to the library etc. I used to do these type of outings, but after I moved to my new neighbourhood and have the full five kids, I have nothing within walking distance and cannot fit everyone in my van anymore. However, at interviews, I still mention that there is a spossibility that we may occassionally use my van for transportation if I am low in numbers at some point. I have not done it in six months and in reality I don't think I will because for me it is either a regular thing that the kids are used to doing or not do it at all because it is too hard to get them to behave on outings if they are not used to it. But, because I may decide to use the van at some point,like when my daughter goes to school, I mention it so it does not come as a shock to parents in the future.

Momof4
02-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Momofnerds made a good point. At our OEYC there are the same caregivers there every single day expecting the staff to do their work while they chat. These are NOT good caregivers and the kind of people Marketplace was targeting. I bet they missed that aspect though!

A huge part of my program is our travelling, but also the variety I provide for the children. I have a library day almost once a week, three choices of different parks and one-two days/week we stay inside to craft and create. Finding a great balance is important.

As one of the other posters mentioned, if parents don't want their children to travel like that then we are not a good match, but all my clients love it that I expose their children to so much variety. Every evening I tell them what we will be doing in the morning and they always come back excited about our day.

mommylove
02-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Im actually glad someone posted about this.....I originally thought it was really important i go to these programs but quickly realized its alot of work and I'm not sure if its worth it. My husband says "why are you so worried about taking them to these places, when i went to home daycare we stayed at her house we never went anywhere we always had fun regardless" which my response was my competition is doing it and i felt like i had to because parents may choose other home daycares over me. I went to a program at the library and was not impressed my kids are 2 21month olds and a 12 month old it was a circle setting and my 2 21 month olds pretty much ran around and were disruptive, they sang songs and read book (i can do these things at home with them at a time where there sitting and paying attention (re snack time) needless to say i decided the library program wasnt for me. The other program is a gym playgroup with balls, holla hoops, toys and more the kids can run around and play it was awesome and gave me a break they loved it. Its really about the kids and what works for them if there gonna cry all the way there and be miserable while there their and such its not worth the hassle you gotta go an check it out and see if it works for you and your group and if it doesnt explain that to the parent all most parent want is there kids to be well taken care of and for them to have fun the rest is just extras.

torontokids
02-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Yeah, sometimes I think that going to these places is more because of parent expectations or even for us to get a break. The kids get so much socialization already and let's face it, they are at a "play group" everyday.

Momof4
03-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Actually, I mention to the parents at the interview that I can offer the best of both worlds. We have many days and hours here at my home where the children receive one on one attention from me and their own small group of friends become their normal daily routine. But I also take my group to the library once a week and to parks a couple of times a week and we meet other home daycares so their circle of friends widens and they are becoming accustomed to playing in larger groups so they aren't overwhelmed when they go to JK. That's how I see it anyway.