PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Toddler approved trail mix recipe?!

DaycareLady
02-26-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm wanting to make up a large container of homemade trail mix for an easy go to afternoon snack...does anyone have some good suggestions on what to put in it? Or ideas that you know your toddler group already likes? Would like it to be as healthy as possible!

Thanks so much!

Momof4
02-26-2013, 03:27 PM
I usually pack fruit, once in a while a grain product like crackers or veggie sticks like peppers, grape tomatoes, celery, depending on the age of my group. We take the bus when we travel and the first time the bus didn't show up was when I learned to always take some food. I also pack all their juice sippy cups when we are out and about. Sorry, but I wouldn't feed my little ones trail mix because they would probably drop it all or choke on it. But an older group would be fine with it. If you google you can find great recipes.

Dreamalittledream
02-26-2013, 03:35 PM
I always have a container made up in my daycare (so great when you're running behind!). I keep (and ask for) the single serving plastic applesauce containers you get and I use those for trail mix/dip containers (& I have a ton for painting/crafting). Ideas for ingredients: Cheerios (or other healthy cereal), raisins (or any other fruit chopped up...mango or apricot are the fav. in my group), yogurt covered raisins, fish crackers (I like the colored), those dried things you put on chow mein...go to Bulk barn, you will get lots of inspiration!

Momof4
02-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Dream, you have a great toddler trail mix. I was thinking of the oatmeal/raisin/nuts type thing which wouldn't be any good.

DaycareLady
02-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks girls, sorry I should have explained better...it would be more to grab when I am running behind, not to actually take out with me hehe! Thanks for the suggestions!!

momofnerds
02-26-2013, 05:15 PM
cheerios, goldfish, raisins (my group hates them) I would add some choco chips because we all like them, any dry cereal. My group loves dry cereal so I mix a bunch in a bag and they love it. I would do the cereal mix over a trail mix.

playfelt
02-27-2013, 08:05 AM
I would simply mix several dry cereals together in a large pail and then have at the ready some dried fruits such as raisins, craisins, blueberries to add to those able to have them and then just have the cereal for those that can't. Use things like cheerios, corn bran, life, etc so there is a variety of grains. Mine also like the Fibre One all bran - they call them brown sticks but I limit it to a few for garnish only. I use them in baking but the kids think they are good to eat. The Fiber one brand is thicker and can be picked up as compared to the actual all bran brand. The multigrain krispies are bigger than the regular brand. For crackers the goldfish, cheese nips, forget what they are called but they are like cheese nips but in long sticks, bacon dippers is also a favourite as well as the vegetable thins. I only keep the cereals premixed to save taking out all the boxes and then add something each day such as a couple crackers and the dried fruit or a half banana on the side. This is pretty much what we have every morning for snack as it also serves to top up anyone that had a less than steller breakfast and I can easily adjust for what I know about each child including what time child ate so who should be the hungriest.

momofnerds
02-27-2013, 09:16 AM
great ideas. Mine have been liking the krave cereal, I never thought of cranberries and the all bran cereal, will look tonite when I go to the grocery store.

DaycareLady
02-27-2013, 09:43 AM
I just made a huge batch that includes:corn bran squares, coloured goldfish ( I had no idea these were natural colours and have avoided the, thinking they were artificial until you suggested it!), yogurt covered raisins, sunflower seeds, a few mini chocolate chips, dried blueberries! Everyone is loving it! Thanks ladies!

Crayola kiddies
02-27-2013, 10:47 AM
I was reading an article in the newspaper this past summer that said any cereal that has sugar (or equivalent) listed twice in the first three ingredients is junk ..... I looked at the labels after that .... There's a lot if junk out there :(

monkeymama
02-27-2013, 12:07 PM
my dck love trail mix! they always ask if we can have it for snack...i mix up cheerios, raisins, other dried fruit ie. apricots, blueberries, cranberries, pretzels and depending on my age group that day usually a small nut as well ie. almonds.

sunnydays
02-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Yep...it's sad, but true! I won't buy 80% of the cereals on the shelf for this exact reason. I always look at the breakdown of nutrients and how many grams of sugar there are per serving. I try to stick to 5g or under for the little ones and my older son has always had a limit of no more than 10g...he would scan the shelves and find one that was acceptable but still looked appealing to him. My kids have never even tasted most of the cereals out there...I don't even think of cereal as a meal, but more like a snack. I serve dry cereals (or with milk or yogurt) quite often for snacks, but never as a meal.

I was reading an article in the newspaper this past summer that said any cereal that has sugar (or equivalent) listed twice in the first three ingredients is junk ..... I looked at the labels after that .... There's a lot if junk out there :(

Momof4
02-27-2013, 02:57 PM
I give the children cheerios about once a week only with fruit or sausage or something for breakfast. I don't buy any other cereal because I don't eat it. But it ends up getting stale and going in the garbage before the box is empty every time. I buy Kashi crackers and my dckids love them but I'm careful about feeding them the types of crackers that are full of preservatives. I do however cave and buy the goldfish and penguin crackers for them and give them those once a week at afternoon snack. I claim to run a partially organic, mostly home cooking daycare so I can't cheat in too many areas or I would feel like a baaaaaad girl!