PDA

View Full Version : I'm Terribly Excited....

cfred
03-04-2013, 12:17 PM
This summer (our first in our new 'city' location) we're doing something a little different. First, we're ripping out our flower beds and planting vegetable gardens for our daycare lunches (provided my black thumb doesn't reign supreme). I've always done this to some degree at the old house, but was limited to tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, beans and herbs. We're going for the whole shebang this year! Woo hoo!

AND....we're going to hatch chicks!!!! Yippeeeeee! I can hardly wait! I've done this in the past at a daycare centre I worked at and loved it! It's a fantastic project that encompasses sooooo many different learning avenues. Plus, we get fluffy chicks at the end of it! I've already found placement for our fuzzballs on a farm of a friend. Apparently, he's a complete hippie and will never, ever eat them. They get to live out their whole lives with no fear of the dinner bell. I'm so excited (in case you couldn't tell)!

:woot:

dodge__driver11
03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
That's Awesome!!!

mommylove
03-04-2013, 12:32 PM
that is great :) good for you the kids will love that for sure

mimi
03-04-2013, 12:34 PM
The kids will learn so much! Great ideas:thumbsup:

crafty
03-04-2013, 12:38 PM
I do that here ...KIDS LOVE IT ! I have a big garden and a smaller one that I use with the kiddies. Last year kids were a little young so a bit difficult but still fun. They LOVE feeding the chickens. Very happy for you and your little ones !

This summer I was thinking of getting pet rabbits as well... will see.

cfred
03-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Yeah, Crafty, mine are a bit young to get it too. I did it a daycare centre last with Junior Preschoolers and it was fabulous. My older kids will be a little over 2, so they'll grasp some of it. I put my dog to sleep last week and have had the 'itch' to get my hands on some critters, so it's more for me than anyone :) If you have any school age kids of your own, it's a fantastic science project. Did it with my daughter in grade 2 as an experiment on imprinting. Very cool! We were each 'mummy' to a little chick.

Have you had rabbits before?

crafty
03-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Sorry for your dog by the way. I guess I am kind of like you too. I love animals. I raise them for fun. I get really attached to them. I am not very good with gardening but I do enjoy it too.

I had all sorts of animals growing up as well. We raised chickens, dogs, horses, turkeys, ducks, rabbits ...you name it. It was the best part of my childhood and I hope my kids will love it too.

Now we own a dairy farm so we are true country folks. My oldest will be 4 soon so she really will enjoy having her own projects this summer. I wish I could have more but if I do I will run out of room for the kids haha.

sunnydays
03-04-2013, 01:30 PM
That is so awesome! What a great learning opportunity for the kids :) Last year I did some vegetable gardening with the kids and they loved it...some of them even grew to love vegetables they previously hadn't liked...it's different when you grow it yourself. I plan to do it again this year...it's messy and they get dirty and it's hard with the younger kids....but worth it :) The chicks will be so amazing...I may get that adventurous one day ;)

playfelt
03-04-2013, 02:22 PM
I am hoping to put in some raised beds this summer for gardening as at least a partial deterrent to the myrid of wild bunnies we have around here - no need for buying rabbits that is for sure. Lost most of my flowerheads last year too.

Momof4
03-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Good for you. I love veggies fresh from the garden but haven't had that since I was a little girl on the farm. My Mom had fantastic gardens. Hatching the chicks is going to be a great learning experience for all. I'm happy you're so happy!

ladyjbug
03-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Oh that sounds so great! We are hatching chicks too, but it is my first time! Have a wonderful summer!!!!