PDA

View Full Version : Themes and activities

torontokids
03-04-2013, 10:21 PM
I am still in "fly by the seat of my pants mode" as I am new at this but I would like to start to incorporate some themes to build upon through the course of the week. I am not really sure where to start though. Do you guys do lesson plans or more like pick a theme and have a craft and activity each day that supports this (as well as stories, songs and games etc).

michellesmunchkins
03-05-2013, 06:04 AM
I swear by preschool palace. Its a fantastic website :) I usually add/change up a few things but essentially its all your lesson plans done for you. Website is www.preschoolpalace. org Its free too so even better :)

torontokids
03-05-2013, 07:25 AM
What a great resource! Thanks!

Cadillac
03-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Use google to find all the great resouces. There are TONS of them. Start by picking things your kids are interested in to make putting the theme together more easily (you'll know what they love). Always type in PRESCHOOL ex. Car preschool activities, preschool animal activities. look for diffferent kinds activities that focus on different thing you want to teach your kids. If you set aside a half hour to explore weekly, you'll have a huge resource bank and more than a few themes full of activities in no time.

It makes you day so much easier and look AMAZING to potential clients

Momof4
03-05-2013, 08:40 AM
I've said it before but at the beginning of the year I plan out the themes for the entire year. This week we are studying Art and we are painting with different mediums and making little sculptures tomorrow with playdo & modelling clay and visiting an art gallery for a field trip on Thursday. Last week we talked about spring and made a bird/nest/eggs mobile, little flowers and I sang songs and read books about winter and spring and talked about how the snow is going away and it's getting warmer and all the signs of spring. It isn't rocket science, it's basic but it's important to me to teach the children something different and interesting week by week. The older they get the more in depth I can go with the lessons, but I always match the songs, stories, games and crafts to the theme of the week.

torontokids
03-05-2013, 12:05 PM
I know it's not rocket science, none of this stuff is. It is about being super organized though and managing multiple demands including the multiple needs of children and families. I think I am still finding my way and once I do I will feel more in control of everything and less like I am always doing daycare duties but never catching up. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and when things aren't exactly what I had envisioned them then I am too hard on myself. I am trying to learn to give myself a break and realize that I have only been at this 2.5 wks!

sunnydays
03-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Give yourself a break! I found that the first 6 months to a year was about survival and getting the basics. Prioritize things. Learning how to manage the kids so that they are fed, clean, happy, and most importantly, safe, are the main things. Once all the basics become easy, then you can get adventurous. For now, why not keep it simple and just let them play, maybe some playdough, some crayons and painting...simple things that you do not have to plan ahead or spend time preparing. It is more important that the kids are happy and secure than having a theme of the week in my opinion. I don't do themes myself. I go with the kids' interest and find activties online (especially pinterest) that I know they would like. The only themes I do are for special holidays like Valentines Day etc when we will focus on hearts etc. I think they will have lots of time for themes when they start school. For me it is more important to expose them to a variety of activities and oppoortunities to think and explore. Don't stress yourself any more than you need to...you will burn out!

I know it's not rocket science, none of this stuff is. It is about being super organized though and managing multiple demands including the multiple needs of children and families. I think I am still finding my way and once I do I will feel more in control of everything and less like I am always doing daycare duties but never catching up. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and when things aren't exactly what I had envisioned them then I am too hard on myself. I am trying to learn to give myself a break and realize that I have only been at this 2.5 wks!

torontokids
03-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone. We are currently doing programming everyday and I make sure the kids have at least 1 or 2 crafts to bring home as evidence of this, heh heh I was just wondering about "formal programming" using weekly themes. I agree this will be a plan further down the road but I think I will take Sunnydays advice and not worry too much about it and also do what Cadillac suggested and start working on this in chunks then when I am ready to go I have it there. This resource book would be good to show prospective clients as well. Thanks!

playfelt
03-05-2013, 02:16 PM
If you start doing seasonal themes and then branch out from there it is easier too because there is so much available online and easy to find and it is what is meaningful to the little ones cause they see snow, wear mittens, hats and boots, etc. As long as you program for the special day weeks you will find that is about a theme a month anyways so gradually you can just fill in the left over weeks with something that interests the kids.

2cuteboys
03-05-2013, 02:36 PM
I found the Earth School curriculum on etsy and I really like it. Of course you'll probably have to change it up to suit your needs, but it has a good foundation and great hands on ideas. It was originally created by a ECE who was homeschooling her kids.
And each package is usually around $20 (you buy each "unit" separately), so it's not a huge investment if you just want to check it out. I'm using the arctic one now, 5 senses next.

Momof4
03-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Torontokids, when I said it isn't rocket science I didn't mean it as any kind of insult, I meant it as a joke. I meant that we should keep it really simple, super simple. I started my daycare working way too hard and cut crafts down to 1 a week usually, sometimes in the summer we are outside every day and we don't get any crafts done. I've really learned to go with the flow. I agree that you should give yourself a break and your routines will fall into place with time and practice.

torontokids
03-05-2013, 05:23 PM
No worries Momof4, I didn't take it personally. I am very much a "say it how it is" person and don't ruffle easily. Heh heh I wondered as I was writing if there are people out there that think programming is rocket science and I would get angry pm's, heh heh.