View Full Version : Does anyone know if there is a time frame

03-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Does anyone know when the government is planning on deciding weather or not to "License" Home Daycare's.

This is my problem:

Right now I am with 2 agencies, come September I would like to either:
A) Go fully private (This is what I really would like)
B) Go down to one agency

If the government is planning on making a decision with in the next 1 1/2 years I will go with one agency until I know for sure what is happening.

If the government is just playing or planning on taking their sweet time in making a decision then I will just go private in September, until the whole thing either blows over or they make us get a license.

Right now all the inquiries I am getting are for private kids between 12 months and 2 years. With the age restrictions that the agency puts on me, it will make it really hard to get kids. When I first started I could only find clients looking for subsidy which is why i went with the agencies.

So, i am just wondering if anyone has heard if the government has set a time line on this or not?

03-05-2013, 09:14 AM
A lot will change with each election so I would not be holding my breath since when one groups gets into power they thrive on tossing out everything the previous government did and starting again even if they end up in the same place.

If you go private then you will have the chance to license just like every other private caregiver would but at the same time have the benefits of not being licensed now.

03-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks Playfelt, that's what I keep thinking. My husband says its up to me what I do. But I do feel that he has a say, since it does effect him as well.

My parents think I should just stay with the agencies since they will "protect me". My parents don't like to take risks and have tough me not to take then either, but I am tried of playing it safe.
So, if I can get 2 private clients signed on for September, I WILL go private. I think I really need to take this risk for my own piece of mind and well being.

03-05-2013, 11:35 AM
When they come out with everyone needing to license it won't necessarily mean we all have to go with an agency. I had thought the plan was to license individual providers the way they do in other provinces. That being said even if you leave the agency they will be forced to take you back along with others so it isnt' like you won't be able to be licensed. It will be something available to everyone. Therefore there is no risk involved.

Your parents on the other hand will be in a hard place. They will be pressured by the agency to move to another agency home if you go private and in theory if you read your contract it will say in it somewhere that you are not allowed to keep them if you leave the agency although not sure by law they can control what parents do. If a parent resigns from the agency they are free to do what they want since the contract is now null and void. Be prepared for them to leave though and you to have to start again.

03-05-2013, 11:49 AM
One of my dcg's is leaving to go to school in September (which is why I am waiting until September). My b&a school kid is leaving at the end of June. My other two dcg's, well I plan on replacing them anyways. I think that starting off fresh is the best way to go.

The agreement I have with the agencies is that if I leave I can not take their clients unless they give permission for them to sign on with me. But since all my clients are subsidized none will want to stay.

03-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Start advertising now for September then. I waited till May last year to advertise my spaces as I had three leaving to start school and was upset to not get much response. I have my ad in two places online - daycarebear and godaycare just because it was easier to change the date to Sept than to remove the ad and relist so once I filled the third space which wasn't till Jan I just changed the dates. I am averaging 3 requests a week, have interviewed and filled the space so parents for whatever reason are looking now for September. Waiting till this summer may be too late.

03-05-2013, 12:55 PM
I think they've been saying this for years. I would worry too much.

03-05-2013, 01:09 PM
I started advertising for September 2 weeks ago. I already have one interview lined up.
As long as I can get 2 private clients signed up for September I will be ok. Money will be a little tight, but manageable. Once I have two the rest will slowly fall into place, or at lest that`s the plan.