PDA

View Full Version : Policies for clients that are teachers

Balanced
03-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. Just opened my home daycare in July 2012. I have just received verbal confirmation for a client that is a teacher and wanted to know if anyone has different policies/contracts for teachers.

Other Mummy
03-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Okay...that could only mean she is looking for discounts or freebies on March Break, Summer holidays, Xmas break, etc. I just interviewed a family last week. Mum is a teacher. She asked as well about different contracts for teachers. Yup. No. You pay for the spot. Regardless of attendance.

That being said...some daycare providers prefer teachers as clients. This way they can have a lighter load in the summer and over holidays, etc.

It depends on you really and what you prefer.

fruitloop
03-05-2013, 09:30 PM
The only thing I have for teachers is that they pay half fees over the summer to hold their space. Other than that, they pay the same as everyone else.

cfred
03-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Yup, I'm the same as Fruitloop. I offer it, but honestly, I'm probably going to favour a full time/permanent over a teacher. I don't want a lighter load. I get that during my vacation.

playfelt
03-05-2013, 09:51 PM
I charge teachers $225 a week from Sept to June and half fees for christmas and march breaks or full for any day child comes during break. My regular fee is $200. Then teachers don't pay in the summer but can also bring child one day a week if they want to. Beginning of June they pay a two week nonrefundable deposit so $450 to hold space till Sept and it goes towards first two weeks back to school.

The idea here is that even if a teacher tells you oh no problem I will stay and pay all summer or pay even if child isn't coming to reserve space to return in Sept. there is always the risk they will change their minds and you will get burned - along with them not paying for the weeks you are off in the summer on vacation if you get paid vacation. By increasing the amount and getting the money paid before June it balances out pretty closely that you are getting paid upfront for the entire time. I only let myself get burned once before contract got changed.

Crayola kiddies
03-06-2013, 08:07 AM
I've had two teachers so far and the one kept her kid in full time year round and the other one our deal was they paid full fees for march break and Christmas and part time for the summer(3days)

treeholm
03-06-2013, 08:13 AM
I would love to just take teachers and have the summer off. I was a professor in my previous career, and I guess I just got used to the summer break LOL. This summer will be my first doing daycare, and I'm wishing I could have more than just two weeks off.... I know, I'm spoiled. But I think as children go off to school in a few years and I think about replacing them, I will start taking only teacher's children.

Balanced
03-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Thank you all, appreciate it, I'll take it all into consideration!

MonkeyPrincess
03-07-2013, 10:11 AM
I have a DCG whose mom is a teacher. With her and her husband being friends of mine, i agreed to take care of their daughter, knowing full well that she will be gone all summer, March break, and a week over the Christmas break. I also have a one yr old who only comes 2 days a week and a 4 yr old, who is before/after school. I personally don't mind that my friends' daughter won't come over the summer because it does lighten the load for me for the summer break, plus the before/after school girl will likely come full time then. It gives me a chance to take my kids and the oldest girl out to the splashpad/indoor playground/fair/ etc. I wouldn't do that if i had the 2 younger ones, it would be too much for me to handle

playfelt
03-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Teacher's kids work fine for those that take school age because they can usually pick up an extra child just for the summer. It doesn't work for those of use that take only up to 3 so no school age here in the summer meaning if teacher is off there is no way to recoop income and it is ok to explain it to the teacher that way and put in place policies that protect your income.