PDA

View Full Version : Help with home daycare

tamelui
03-06-2013, 09:41 PM
My friend and I are both ECE, and we are thinking to open our own daycare at home. Does anyone know if that is legal to have two ECE working in home daycare, cause I can't find anything on internet.
Or which department/ministry/agency that I can contact to find that out??
Beside, we are in York Region, Ontario

KingstonMom
03-06-2013, 10:02 PM
It is perfectly legal to operate a home daycare, no matter the number of adults (ECE or otherwise) in the home, however, you still must oblige to Ontario's law which states: No more than 5 children (not including your own (who live there))
So, just because there are two of you, you are still not allowed more than 5 daycare children in the home at any given time.

Momof4
03-07-2013, 07:01 AM
KingstonMom is absolutely correct. You should read the Day Nursery Act to familiarize yourself with the laws but good luck.

DisneyPrincess
03-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Yes that is the law here in Ottawa and stupid if you ask me ! But I heard it was according to the space no ?? What if one has the top floor and the other the basement floor, cant it count as 2 daycares ??

In Quebec is 6 children for 1 provider and 9 children for 2 providers.

Here in my daycare I have enough space for at least 6 children and I'm stuck to 5 and in that 5 I have 1 in school so I only have 4 full-time. I could have a fifth one full-time but one would have to leave before the one from school arrives. ITS NO MORE THEN FIVE AT THE SAME TIME IN THE SAME DAYCARE !! My daycare looks empty lol too bad I cant help out more parents in need of daycare :(

playfelt
03-07-2013, 08:14 AM
NO the rule is per premise so all floors count as the same premise. Also remember if the friend leaves for any reason they must take their own children with them or they would become part of your group of 5 and put you over in numbers. They can only be at the daycare if their parent is with them.

There are no two caregiver more kids allowed in Ontario.

If only one of you has kids and holds the daycare at the home of the one with kids then you could have 5 more children and both of you work the daycare and that would be a selling point to parents in some cases but figure of the 5 kids that one goes to pay for the house expenses and teh other four are split so your income will be the fees from two children and your friend will get the income from two children. Most providers can not make a viable profession out of daycare with only having two kids in care.

Also I am assuming you are planning to do it at the home of one of you. If you were looking to buy a separate home for the daycare then you would no longer be a home daycare and would need the new home zoned as a daycare centre and come under DNA rules.