PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Ottawa! :)

jammiesandtea
03-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Hi ladies, just wanted to say hey, and introduce myself. This is my first post (though I've been lurking on the boards for a few months). :)

I'm new to the Ottawa area, and I'm about to re-open a home daycare here. I ran a home daycare a number of years ago in the city I previously lived in, and most recently worked as a nanny for the last few years. I've been doing child care in some form or other (center care, home daycare, nannying) since college (ECE) 20 years ago. (that makes me feel old - bah!) :)

I am new to having my own contract and policy handbook etc. (late to the party but SO on board with needing them!) I am currently working on getting mine organized and ready to go. I've been looking at all the forms available on daycarelady.com and it's a great resource. If anyone here has any contract and policies advice or feels comfortable sharing theirs with me, I'd be appreciative and grateful. I want to have them as perfected as I can in order to avoid as many potential issues, and even uncomfortable conversations, down the road as possible. :)

Hope y'all are havin' a great day! :)

jazmic
03-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Hello and welcome! :)

Whereabouts in Ottawa are you? I'm closing and may be able to refer some clients if we're in the same area.

jammiesandtea
03-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Hi jazmic, thanks for the welcome! I pm'd you.

BlueRose
03-07-2013, 12:27 PM
HI I just PM you.

jammiesandtea
03-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Thanks BlueRose! :)

jazmic
03-07-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm in Barrhaven too! :) I just pm'd you.

playfelt
03-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Hi and welcome. I am in Orleans. My advice is to check into the childcare providers resource centre CCPRN at www.ccprn.com They offer lots of support for caregivers with workshops and office resources like diecutters and laminator and resource binders for ideas. The $25 a year is totally worth it. Also look on the homepage on the left hand side I think or it used to be there is a welcome package on setting up a daycare and it has info in there and some sample forms. You might also want to check out the childcare connection meetings as a chance to connect to other caregivers as well as maybe pick up some clients.

jammiesandtea
03-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Small world! I will go read/reply to your PM now. :)

jammiesandtea
03-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks playfelt! I have joined the CCPRN and have checked out their daycare start-up kit and other resources. What a great organization for providers. I will also check out the childcare connection meetings. Thanks for the welcome! :)

playfelt
03-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks playfelt! I have joined the CCPRN and have checked out their daycare start-up kit and other resources. What a great organization for providers. I will also check out the childcare connection meetings. Thanks for the welcome! :)

Come to a Story Time Felts workshop and we will get to actually meet in person or at least watch for notice that the office is going to be open as they often open the office for diecutting and stuff on the days I do workshops.

jammiesandtea
03-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Come to a Story Time Felts workshop and we will get to actually meet in person or at least watch for notice that the office is going to be open as they often open the office for diecutting and stuff on the days I do workshops.

I'd like that. When is your next workshop scheduled?

DisneyPrincess
03-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Welcome, I'm East of Ottawa about 40 minutes away from you I think...

Anyhoo I did all my forms according to the Quebec regime since I couldn't find all the forms possible even with CCPRN. The Ontario Government has not much requirements for daycare providers to have such and such documents as the Quebec Government so I preferred being more safe than sorry.

If you ever want some forms, although mine are all in french :\, send me a message and I'll give you my email address ;)

jammiesandtea
03-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Welcome, I'm East of Ottawa about 40 minutes away from you I think...

Anyhoo I did all my forms according to the Quebec regime since I couldn't find all the forms possible even with CCPRN. The Ontario Government has not much requirements for daycare providers to have such and such documents as the Quebec Government so I preferred being more safe than sorry.

If you ever want some forms, although mine are all in french :\, send me a message and I'll give you my email address ;)

Thanks DisneyPrincess, the french forms probably wouldn't work for me but I appreciate the offer! :)

sunnydays
03-07-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm in Orleans as well and I second playfelt's recommendation of CCPRN. Also, if you get a chance to go to Platfelt's workshops, they are great!

jammiesandtea
03-07-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm in Orleans as well and I second playfelt's recommendation of CCPRN. Also, if you get a chance to go to Platfelt's workshops, they are great!

Thanks, sunnydays! :)

Crayola kiddies
03-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Hi Jammie's I'm just outside of barrhaven ..... Welcome to the forum

jammiesandtea
03-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Hi Jammie's I'm just outside of barrhaven ..... Welcome to the forum

Thanks, Crayola! :)

playfelt
03-07-2013, 03:31 PM
I'd like that. When is your next workshop scheduled?

Sunday April 7: We are doing a felt set that can be used to tell the story of Peter Rabbit in McGregors garden in the morning and a set of creepy crawlies - bugs, snake, worm, etc in the afternoon.

Sunday May 5: It will be a make your own workshop day in that there will be small kits to pick from with help to make what is in them and there will also be the option for 5 larger sets as sort of a catch up for people that missed them in past years - sets that go with very hungry caterpillar, rainbow fish, coloured fish, a gardening set, and a strawberry based story set.

jammiesandtea
03-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Sunday April 7: We are doing a felt set that can be used to tell the story of Peter Rabbit in McGregors garden in the morning and a set of creepy crawlies - bugs, snake, worm, etc in the afternoon.

Sunday May 5: It will be a make your own workshop day in that there will be small kits to pick from with help to make what is in them and there will also be the option for 5 larger sets as sort of a catch up for people that missed them in past years - sets that go with very hungry caterpillar, rainbow fish, coloured fish, a gardening set, and a strawberry based story set.

That sounds cool playfelt; I will try and come! :)

Momof4
03-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Welcome. I like you already because I'm done work, in my jammies and drinking tea, hahahaha. You are so lucky because we have so many wonderful members in the Ottawa area on this site. You are going to do just great. Hope you share lots of good experiences with us.

jammiesandtea
03-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Welcome. I like you already because I'm done work, in my jammies and drinking tea, hahahaha. You are so lucky because we have so many wonderful members in the Ottawa area on this site. You are going to do just great. Hope you share lots of good experiences with us.

Thanks so much, Momof4! I've gotten so much from reading a lot of threads here already. I love this forum; I can see it being such a godsend for advice and support in a line of work that is otherwise very isolating. I look forward to sharing with all of you wonderful ladies! :)

sunnydays
03-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Hey, playfelt, I don't see the May 5th one on the CCPRN calendar.....will it be at the office or at your house? I wanted to go to the April one, but I am already registered for quite a few workshops that month and just can't do it all! Was hoping you'd have one at your house soon as it is so much closer for me :)

playfelt
03-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Hey, playfelt, I don't see the May 5th one on the CCPRN calendar.....will it be at the office or at your house? I wanted to go to the April one, but I am already registered for quite a few workshops that month and just can't do it all! Was hoping you'd have one at your house soon as it is so much closer for me :)

The May 5 one is at the office but anytime you want to come hang out we can do that. I love having an excuse to hang out with felt stuff.

I had originally planned to have the strawberry story at my place in June so we could do it during the week but then added it to the May one. We found once long weekend in May comes and cottages open that getting providers out on a weekend was next to impossible.

What I could do is pick a date in early June at my house for anyone that "missed" other workshop times and can make up whatever kit they want or they could choose from those left from May 5 morning.

sunnydays
03-08-2013, 01:26 PM
That would be great Playfelt! I bet my provider neighbour would come too...she said she'd like to go to some workshops with me :)

Momof4
03-08-2013, 06:49 PM
I always want to move to Ottawa when you ladies do this!

playfelt
03-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Maybe we could make it a Saturday and invite out of towners too,lol. CCPRN has a board on pinterest and they have some really neat ideas posted on there you might want to check out too of things you can do with the kids. I am hoping to make the ribbons through the tin game next week.

Momof4
03-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks playfelt, lol!

notaunicorn
03-09-2013, 09:23 AM
been in barrhaven for almost 16 years, been doing daycare that long too.

welcome jammiesandtea, whereabouts in the haven are you located? I am near strandherd and jockvale (home depot area)

maybe we could do some meet ups in the summer? I always like to check out new parks with the chiclets

who said they were selling stuff? are you allowed to post pics or can you pm me

jammiesandtea
03-09-2013, 10:04 AM
been in barrhaven for almost 16 years, been doing daycare that long too.

welcome jammiesandtea, whereabouts in the haven are you located? I am near strandherd and jockvale (home depot area)

maybe we could do some meet ups in the summer? I always like to check out new parks with the chiclets

who said they were selling stuff? are you allowed to post pics or can you pm me

Hi notaunicorn! I'd love to do some meet ups with the kiddies. There is a park a couple blocks from here, that I thought looked good. I pm'd you.

It's jazmic that is closing and may have stuff for sale, but she hasn't determined what she is getting rid of yet so she'll let us know if she does. :)

Are you all full or do have spots you are trying to fill?

Monday 2 Friday Mama
03-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Hi JammiesandTea - welcome to the water cooler ! I'm out in Bridlewood, but I used to live in Barhaven.

jammiesandtea
03-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi JammiesandTea - welcome to the water cooler ! I'm out in Bridlewood, but I used to live in Barhaven.

Thanks for the welcome, Monday 2 Friday Mama! :)

notaunicorn
03-13-2013, 01:53 PM
hey Jammies I am very close to that park! I am just down from the macs. we have a park across the street from me too that is okay, hoping to get new stuff but gosh knows when that will happen. The kids like it tho, that's what matters. We travel in the summer to various parks, new and old.
There is a good park off Malvern we go to and meet up with friends, plus the one across from food basics has a water feature for the kids. And not busy like the water park on Longfields.
We went to Brewer Park last year for the first time and it was amazing!!! If you can swing it pack a picnic lunch and set off for the day.
I used to drive with the kiddos but need new carseats so not sure how far we will venture this year if we have to bus it.

jammiesandtea
03-13-2013, 02:54 PM
hey Jammies I am very close to that park! I am just down from the macs. we have a park across the street from me too that is okay, hoping to get new stuff but gosh knows when that will happen. The kids like it tho, that's what matters. We travel in the summer to various parks, new and old.
There is a good park off Malvern we go to and meet up with friends, plus the one across from food basics has a water feature for the kids. And not busy like the water park on Longfields.
We went to Brewer Park last year for the first time and it was amazing!!! If you can swing it pack a picnic lunch and set off for the day.
I used to drive with the kiddos but need new carseats so not sure how far we will venture this year if we have to bus it.

That's cool that you're so close, I'm excited to have a fellow caregiver in my neighbourhood to meet up with at the park with the kiddies this summer. :)

Are you full, or trying to fill spaces? I am almost set up and will be advertising shortly. Our area does seem to have lots of daycares, but I'm hoping with so many young families around here that there will be enough to go around and fill my spaces. :)

notaunicorn
03-13-2013, 04:49 PM
I am full for the next 6 mths to a year. Just had a set of parents divorce so not sure what will happen in the distant future.

Lots of daycares, lots of kids!!

4angelsmama
04-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Hello there :),
I also want to introduce myself here and be able to get to know my fellow mothers/dc providers. I have been a nanny for a couple of years until my last family moved out of the country, I've tried to work part-time at a hospitality job at downtown Ottawa but i got pregnant with my 4th baby boy;). now i'm on my Maternity leave.. while i'm on mat leave, I've just decided to open a daycare in our home and posted a couple of ads. But it seems to be so hard to find kids or family:(. I have had a couple of interview but I haven't got any response yet. I am hoping to open my daycare in September or early August. I'm also still working on my contract, do's & don'ts, proper charges and fees for late pick-ups, vacation days etc. If anyone of you's are willing to help or give Any suggestions I will be gladly appreciate it;). Also, please be aware of those people that pretends to be a client. It seems to be so strange to me why they are doing this. I would be so happy to share what I would plan for my daycare opening!;) just don't pretend.