PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to know?

allison@taylortots
03-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Hello all!!

This is my first post, and I am currently working on opening a home daycare in London, ON.

Does anyone have some tips/tricks of the trade for starting up?

I am currently working on a website so that parents can check it out before hand.

Thanks for all your help!

Momof4
03-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Welcome Allison, I'm also in London Ontario. I'm near downtown and run a successful daycare because I'm in demand with all the downtown office workers. I get calls all the time but I'm always full so I'm always happy to refer people to other caregivers. See, I believe we should support and help each other, not be competitive, that's just crazy! Send me a pm and let's talk!

someone
03-07-2013, 10:07 PM
I agree with the other poster, please find out what the providers in your area charge and do. We all need to support each other. If we all offer the same rates and policies regarding sick days etc. then the parents and daycare providers are basing their decisions on which daycare provider is the best match. We all provide a great service which should not be based on how much we charge.

Also, come up with a document that you can give to your families that explains your sick policy, vacation, days off, toilet training, hours......other providers can certainly help you with this.

Remember you are your own boss. You set your hours and your rate. Do not let anyone bully you or try to tell you that you have to do it their way. Some parents take advantage of our us. Set your hours and stick to them. Send children home or reject them in the morning if they are sick.

Doing daycare is the most amazing job I have ever had. I LOVE all my kids that I look after. Unfortunately the most difficulty you are going to have is with the parents, not the children.

Welcome to a wonderful profession and good luck!!!

Crayola kiddies
03-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Take a two week non refundable deposit that will be applied to the last two week of already commenced properly terminated care and always get paid in advance (Fridays for the following two weeks) to avoid being stiffed. Stick to and enforce your policies cause if you let something go once you will have a hard time enforcing it the next time it happens cause it will happen again Good luck !

BlueRose
03-08-2013, 07:46 AM
- make a contract
- make sure your policies are clear and cover everything
- have a good website (which you are working on, so that's good)
- stand behind your contract and policies
- MAKE SURE all your clients now YOU ARE THE BOSS
- get a 2 week non-refundable deposit (mine goes towards their last two weeks of care, that way if they leave with out warning I am covered for 2 weeks of pay)
- Put at least 15% in the bank for taxes

- When having a bad day remember the following:
1. breath,
2. come on to this site and vent or just read other stories (it does help),
3. if needed put the kids down for an early quiet time,
4. remember that at the end of the day the kids go back home and you can relax until tomorrow,
5. If needed make sure all child are in a safe spot and step out of the room to "cool down" for a minute
6. If the day is going perfectly don't worry, the kids don't care as long as they are having fun and are safe its ok.
7. we are all here if you need us.

sunnydays
03-08-2013, 12:08 PM
I agree with everything the ladies have already said and just wanted to add also that you should try not to be too hard on yourself in the beginning. My best advice is to stagger start dates so you have a few weeks between each child starting or even a month...it gives you time to adjust as well as the kids. In the beginning, focus on the basics like making sure everyone is safe, fed, clean and happy. Later you can get fancy with more programming etc. If you try to do everything at once you risk burning out. Good luck!