PDA

View Full Version : Easter Egg decorating alternative

apples and bananas
03-11-2013, 09:25 AM
my kids love to decorate easter eggs, but I find that I end up throwing out a whole bunch of hard boiled eggs at the end of it because we really don't eat that many eggs.

Any suggestions for an alternate? Or a great recipe that I can use all of these eggs in when we're all done?

crafty
03-11-2013, 12:20 PM
There are foam eggs at dollorama as well. I think this year I will be making egg shape cookies and decorate those instead.

mlle.coccinelle
03-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Someone ( forgot who...Sorry!!!) suggested to take some plastic dollar store egg, paint them in white and then letting the kiddos paint them how they want! Some of them has some whole on top we we would be able to hang them in a Easter tree or on the sealing!
That's what we will be doing next week! :)

I think it's the cheapest way to do it... and it's gonna be so much fun! :)

Spixie33
03-11-2013, 12:46 PM
I am going to try making salt dough eggs this year. I think that might be fun.

http://thedesperatecraftwiv es.blogspot.ca/2012/03/salt-dough-easter-egg-garland.html

And then I saw that you can take those plastic easter eggs (the ones that are plastic and open up in half) and use those to make a rice krispy easter egg for a snack for the kiddos. Once you squish the rice krispy in then close it- it turns into a egg-shaped treat.

These look really cute too - but they kind of look fun for a Horton Hathes the egg craft....http://pinterest.com/pin/166914729911821852/

Also...why not blow out the eggs in advance?? Blow them out over the weekend and make yourself some quiche or scrambled eggs and then you have dried hollow egg shells for the kiddos to paint during the week? You can use an egg carton to hold them up so they won't break (hopefully) while they get decorated/painted

sunnydays
03-11-2013, 12:55 PM
I like the ricek krispie egg treat idea..and then you can use the eggs for egg hunts and other activities. Anyone have a good healthy alternative to using marshmallows for rice krispie squares?

playfelt
03-11-2013, 01:35 PM
I have a recipe I like that uses peanut butter with the krispies but that may not be good for daycare. Compared to making cookies or cupcakes and icing them I probably would just consider it a treat and use the marshmallows.

Make sure to spray the inside of the eggs with pam or rub with oil to let the treats slide out better.

Kids like getting candy in eggs so I have made cookies or given pieces of cake iced - baked on a cookie sheet so thinner than a cupcake - and a plastic egg of assorted things to put on it so they crack open their plastic egg onto their plate then use the contents to decorate their snack.

Momof4
03-11-2013, 03:51 PM
I don't actually know what kind of paint you could get to stick to a plastic easter egg and the paint would soak into the styrofoam ones so that might take a lot of paint but glue and glitter might work. I hard boil a dozen eggs every Easter and we decorate them all together. So it costs $3 and they get thrown in the garbage at the end of the week, no biggie.

mlle.coccinelle
03-11-2013, 04:15 PM
You have a good point there Momof4..... I hadn't figured that one out!