PDA

View Full Version : DCK B-days

torontokids
03-12-2013, 12:23 PM
What do you guys do for b-days at your daycare?

monkeymama
03-12-2013, 12:25 PM
I dont do alot. usually make their favorite lunch and have a little treat for afternoon snack.

sunnydays
03-12-2013, 12:37 PM
I used to buy a small gift for the kids on their B-Days, but now I just get the kids to make a big card with all of their handprints on it and we have cupcakes and sing happy birthday to the child. That's about it!

Spixie33
03-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Well....we always try to do a birthday craft.

I get a helium balloon for each child to take home on their birthday as well as a gift around $20.

Then we try to eat their favourite foods and we blow out the candle in a cupcake or muffin during morning snack and sing happy birthday.

Then the child gets to pick 3 books for story time and say what songs they want us to do for circle time.

Usually I will also hang streamers and a balloon or two or do balloon ping pong too.

Birthdays are a lot of work, time and extra expense and effort

Our birthday craft will be something like painting something special, making a necklace, painting our own birthday hats, decorating our own birthday crowns, decorating a large cupcake out of bristol board, or using birthday foam stickers to make a birthday picture.

playfelt
03-12-2013, 01:11 PM
I do very little because I don't want to detract from what the parents might be doing as a family since the birthdays while in care would be their first, second or third so very much the privilege of the family to see their expression to candles, balloons, party hats etc.

We usually make special cookies on the Friday closest to their birthday or on the monday following their birthday an always after they have had their party at home so if they are celebrating the weekend after the child's real birthday then we would do our cookies after that so we are really celebrating what happened on the weekend as in sharing it with daycare friends.

torontokids
03-12-2013, 01:13 PM
I agree, all these theme days are extra work/expense but it doesn't have to be if we get creative with what we already have on hand. I find it gets expensive when we make a special trip to Dollarama or wherever to buy things for the day.

Maybe we should all make a pact to keep costs down, get creative and come up with crafts/games that don't break the bank. I am going to do this. Was going to go shopping tonight for Paddy's day stuff but instead I will use things I already have on hand. Same for Easter.

Spixie33
03-12-2013, 01:29 PM
I agree, all these theme days are extra work/expense but it doesn't have to be if we get creative with what we already have on hand. I find it gets expensive when we make a special trip to Dollarama or wherever to buy things for the day.

Maybe we should all make a pact to keep costs down, get creative and come up with crafts/games that don't break the bank. I am going to do this. Was going to go shopping tonight for Paddy's day stuff but instead I will use things I already have on hand. Same for Easter.

Well I went to Dollarama last night for birthday cards, birthday balloon and birthday candles.....ended up walking out $27 later with other craft stuff. :D I am all for keeping costs down....but I don't have many ideas how to do that when it is a theme day.
I have tons of paper and paint but then I see stuff on Pinterest or there is a special day and I go and need a thing or two and end up buying the store. lol

playfelt
03-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Mostly we need to stop and think who we are doing it for. Does the child actually care that their playtime was cut short so we could do a special craft - often they would have preferred to play. Do we do it so we look good in the eyes of the parents or because the parents expect it so they can look good in the eyes of their friends with cutsey stuff on the fridge and table. We give enough of ourselves to this business and sometimes I think we do need to stop and think about where our priorities are and what is really important. There are many years of school when they will have access to craft supplies and theme days. It isn't something we have to struggle to get through with a group of toddlers. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

Spixie33
03-12-2013, 02:11 PM
I think I do it all for the child. I feel bad for a child stuck at daycare when it is their special day.
When I had my kids in daycare...I took them out for their birthday every year and took the day off so I could make the day special for them. I try to make them have a special day.

We usually make a craft or art time almost every day anyways so the only difference is that we are doing a birthday themed craft.

The only other difference is catering the menu around the birthday and what that particular child loves the most and letting them picks song/stories etc for the day.

You can see that each kid feels special for their birthday and can't wait for their turn but it is extra work for me and extra expense because I get a present etc too and sometimes I buy the cupcakes/muffins to put the candle in and sometimes the parent will ask what they shoudl bring.

I guess I do what I would want someone to do for my child.

Most parents are really appreciative of what I do.

apples and bananas
03-12-2013, 02:28 PM
I don't do much. The birthday child picks the books for the day and I make cupcakes in the afternoon for snack. I have a lot of little ones so I just make a plain vanilla cupcake and fill it with berries. It's almost like a fruit explosion muffin. Then I send the child home with a give. I try to keep it around the 15 dollar range and make it educational ... books, colouring etc.

Momof4
03-12-2013, 04:11 PM
We celebrate at afternoon snack with a special treat with candles and a present from me. I decorate with balloons and that's about it when they are small. When they are 4 I make it a very special day and let them choose all the food and wear a special hat or necklace all day because it is their ME day.

Bookworm
03-12-2013, 04:39 PM
I don't do too much either. I do make cupcakes for the afternoon snack though. This year I made little party hats for them to wear and I buy them a book for their gift. I also, have 3 kids who bdays are at the end January that are within a week of each other so we do one big celebration. Then my own son's bday is on Valentine's Day, so I do his at the same time as the other 3 so we can focus on V-Day and I'm not making a tonne of cupcakes.
My two other dck's bdays are in September and are two weeks apart, so I will probably just do the same thing as I do in January and do one big party for them.

Robyn
04-11-2013, 07:44 AM
I encourage parents to send a treat for everyone, we have their favorite lunch that day and that is all! I don't think it is fair if a child has their birthday on the weekend and we miss it while other children get a big fanfare!

Momof4
04-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Robyn, if a child has a birthday on a day they aren't attending daycare I always celebrate on the day before or the day after, but I would never let a child miss out on their special celebration.

monkeys
04-11-2013, 01:02 PM
I make cupcakes/muffins for the child and sing happy birthday. I also buy a small present that I send home with them at the end of the day. I do not go all out, as I feel that is the responsibility/decision of the parents, to have a birthday party for their child.