PDA

View Full Version : Pink Eye?

Sandbox Sally
03-14-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm getting conflicting information. Exclusion or no? Most things I am reading says child needs to stay home for 24 hours after antibiotics have started.

Thoughts?

playfelt
03-14-2013, 12:58 PM
For really little ones that rub their faces constantly I like them to have drops for a minimum of 24 hours too. Older kids or myself or would be able to keep their hands away from the eyes less strict - a lot of those exclusions are for school age too.

Sandbox Sally
03-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Thanks playfelt. I think I'm going to have to exclude her. She's 19 months, and touches everything and touches her face all the time as she's an ear rubber/thumb sucker. I always feel badly telling parents that they can't bring their kids, but I have to think of everyone else too.

Trace of Angels
03-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Yep I do a full 24 hours on the antibiotics before they can come back. Pink eye spreads fast in little ones. I've had is myself when I worked in licensed group care.......NOT fun!!!!!

sunnydays
03-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I would exclude for that too as it is VERY contagious and spreads easily. It's pretty easy to get rid of, but still, you don't want it spreading to all the kids.

Sandbox Sally
03-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Just told the mom, and she said she understood, and wouldn't appreciate it if it was another kid with pink eye, and she was sending her daughter.

Uhh...so why ask me if she can come?

monkeymama
03-14-2013, 01:13 PM
I had dcg at beginning of the year have it....their doctor told them 24 hours before return to daycare. Thats what I asked her for as well.

MunchkinMinder
03-14-2013, 01:33 PM
When My daughter had pink eye a year ago my dr told us that it was contagious and to consider it still contagious until 3 days of antibiotics have been completed. I was given the choice to shut down for the 3 days or my fiance had to take the days off work to be with her in a separate part of the house. I ended up closing down so that I could sanitize everything she may have touched while infected and to make sure she didn't spread the infection around again.

Momof4
03-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Yes, I have a 24 hour exclusion policy but the problem is that by the time the eye shows infection the child has already spread the germs all over all my toys and possibly to a friend or two in the daycare. What can you do? Disinfect and advise the other parents, oh well.

Oh yes, and heaven forbid, don't touch your face!:ohmy:

Crayola kiddies
03-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Yes I exclude also