PDA

View Full Version : What are some KEYS POINTS that you include in your daycare contracts?

Sarah A
06-27-2011, 12:04 PM
I have an existing contract but I am currently revising it to include some important points I have come across in the last 6 months.

1. If my daycare is open, then payment is required if your child is scheduled to be here on that day.
2. Please have your child ready for a day of fun when they are dropped (ie. breakfast fed, proper clothing for the day, clean, etc.)

What are your MUST HAVES in your contracts?

playfelt
06-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Include stats you are closed, what the holiday policy is paid/unpaid how many days, what the fee for daycare is, what you expect from the parents ie diapers, bottles, infant foods, cancellation notice expected, sick policy when is a child too sick to come to care.

Play and Learn
06-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Don't forget the termination policy - I have a 3 strikes, and you're gone policy.

Tot-Time
06-27-2011, 04:06 PM
In my opinion:

Must haves:
Hours of Operation
Behaviour Management
Daycare Closures
Fees ie deposit, tuition, etc
Illness
Nutrition
Release of Child
Rest Period
Policy Revisions
Supplies
Termination

Nice to have:
Absences
Damages
Drop off/ pick up
Medication
Minor Injuries / emergencies
Receipts
Toys from home
Toilet training

horsegirl
09-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Wow--tot-Time has hit on most subjects. You may want to include:

Persons authorized to pick up the child
Emergency contacts--name & phone numbers

Medical information about the child

Information about your vacations -how much notice you will give parents

NSF cheques and how you deal with them

Overtime fees

Probationary Period--if a child is unable to adapt mentally, physically or emotionally within the first month or the caregiver feels she is unable to provide for the needs of the child only 1 weeks notice is required by the caregiver or the parent. The fee paid for the month will not be refunded.

Meals & snacks

Medication--do you administer over the counter and prescribed medication
Parents particpation

Child Abuse--if you feel there is an issue mentally, physically, neglect or emotionally--how will you follow through

Emergency Policy and Procedure--In case of earthquake or similar emergencies what should the parents expect regarding care and do they supply emergency kits.

Include an area for the parents to write in any custudy agreement.

I include 5 sick/emergency days without the fees varying.

Sounds like a lot of work but it is protect you as well as the parent.

Cheers and good luck.

Sandbox Sally
09-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Yes, make sure you have a sick policy. If possible, bold the whole thing. I have had way too many children show up here with fevers and green mucous lately. UGH!

Also the fees thing - upfront, including the specific DAY you wish to be paid, and if I had to do it over again, I'd include a penalty for being late with payments.

noslen
11-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Can any body share a contract with me thank you
:)

noslen
11-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Great Thank u some much:D

Home Together
02-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Can anyone share their contract with me? :) Thanks so much

Mamma_Mia
03-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Also the fees thing - upfront, including the specific DAY you wish to be paid, and if I had to do it over again, I'd include a penalty for being late with payments.

Would anyone care to share how they would word this? I need to start the paid for the week ahead method and I want payments on Thursdays....so if late and no $ on Friday they get a suspension of care letter for Monday. THANKS!!

Inspired by Reggio
03-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Sorry if I repeat anything other posters have shared ;)

In my financial contract - the thing we 'sign' together is two pages in length and covers the following

Contact info of clients and Who tax receipt will be issued to
Hours of Care Committed to ... specific days and drop off and pick up times
Payment Policies ... security deposit required to hold space and if it is 'refundable' under what circumstances and when if it is non refundable can it be applied to last weeks of care provided proper notice is given? Fees - how much is owed, when it is to be paid and so forth ... mine reads 'fees of X amount are owed for the committed days above regardless of attendance and are to paid in advance of care, on the Friday by noon, as per payment schedule of weekly, biweekly or monthly. Fees not paid by close of business on Friday will result in a late fee of $20 per day and service will not be provided until all late fees and payment for care has been made. Consistent lateness or issues around payment will result in immediate termination of this contract and forfeiting of the security deposit.
Vacation / Illness policies - theirs and mine when fees are due or not due
Acknowledgement of the parent 'handbook' and that all policies in the handbook must be followed, failure to follow policy could result in termination of the contract and that failure of the provider to choose to enforce any policy on one occasion he
rein does not negate the contract or policy obligations at future dates.

My client handbook than is over 20 pages long and is provided 'electronically' on my website in my members section for reference at any time and covers the following topics:

My Missions Statement - what my values are and why I do what I do
Program and Curriculum philosophy - what I offer in regards to 'early learning'
Developmental Milestone charting practices - how I make sure children are stimulated for their stage and age of development and are 'ready' for school by time they graduate from my program
Hours of Operation - open and close times and policy around 'changing' those
Closure dates ... aka list of Stat dates over the year and reminder of how many weeks vacation I take and notice to be given before these
Registration procedures - security deposit to be paid, contract signed, all forms filled out and completed and so forth
Orientation / visit procedures ... I require minimum of 3 play dates before a child can be 'left' here, than the first two days must be 'partial days' if the child is not coping they are not left for the full 9 hours the first day :(
Fee Payment policies in MORE detail
Payment options - I allow weekly, biweekly or monthly payments as long as they are 'in advance' of care provide as well as other expectations / rules for payment and 'consequences' of nonpayment being termination of contract!
Withdraw of Care procedure - must be in writing, 10 business days in advance of last day to apply security deposit, also clear in my handbook that clients cannot 'drop down' to part time days unless there is a part time space to drop into and proper notice is given - and in doing so they would 'forfeit' their full time spot and have to go on a waiting list if they wanted back into full time, also cover maternity leave and other 'issues' that may arise around changes to care.
Receipt procedures - receipt for cash given at time of payment, tax receipt is annual and must be 'picked up' - I do not mail them out if you have left care you have to come back and sign for them!
Late pick up procedures - if client is arriving after contracted hours what happens, is there a charge, what happens if it becomes a 'habit' and so forth
Custody Arrangement policy - aka policy on how to handle custody changes and ultimately making it clear do not put ME in the middle of your custody battle and clients in marital crisis who cannot provide a united front for their child while in program will find their contract terminated
What to Expect Upon Enrollment - being 'ready' for daycare list, how to help your child adjust, how the program will help adjust and so forth
Arrival / Departure procedure and expectations for both child and clients
Supervision policy - making it clear to clients that on occasion I must use my other senses to 'supervise' children - cause a peer of mine had issue with a client who expected eyes to be on her kid at all times and well sometimes we need to PEE or step out of the room momentarily so wanted that 'clear' to clients :rolleyes:
Nutrition policy - meals, snacks offered, expectation of children around meal time and so forth, is outside food allowed and under what circumstances, how are birthdays and seasonal or cultural holidays handled food wise
Personal belongs - who provides what and what is expected to be here daily
Physical activity policy - does the program go outside, if so how often and under what circumstances does it NOT and so forth
Washroom / diaper philosophy - who provides what, under what 'circumstances' can toilet training be supported within the program and so forth
Health and Safety - is the home 'child proof', how are toys and environment 'cleaned' what is the illness policy for exclusion and return to program, do kids have to be immunized and so forth, will you administer meds under what conditions where will they be stored, how will emergency medical issues be 'handled' in the program so clear to clients that children might be sent ALONE in an ambulance because you have to stay with the other kids!
Fire drills - how often are they done what is expected of clients to aid in this practice
Behavior management and guidance policy - how is negative and socially unacceptable behaviour handled in the program for the various ages, is there a code of conduct of expectations for children, what behaviour will warrant termination of care, how will 'issues' be communicated to parents and so forth?
Communication policy - what is expected of the provider, the parents around daily communication ... preferred method of communication agreed upon by both parties be it verbal, written, email, phone calls, combination and so forth
Program highlights ... how parents can help in the program, what is expected of them to support learning in the program to be carried over into the 'home'

So that is my big ole verbal diarrhea list of things I think are important to 'cover' when entering into a childcare agreement with clients .... my contract and handbook are LONG however I NEVER have issues with clients around fees and very rarely around behaviour expectations or dealing with 'milestone stages' kids go through.

Sandbox Sally
03-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Would anyone care to share how they would word this? I need to start the paid for the week ahead method and I want payments on Thursdays....so if late and no $ on Friday they get a suspension of care letter for Monday. THANKS!!

Mine says,
Payment for care is due weekly and in advance, by 6pm on the Friday before the week that care is provided. I accept cash, email money transfers, or direct deposit into my bank account. I do implement late fees.

soranea
03-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Payment is due in advance, every week on Thursday. If no payment is received by Thursday at (closing time) a late fee of $___ per day will apply. If no payment is received by Friday care will be suspended until payment, including all late fees, is paid in full.

How does that look?

Momof4
03-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Well it looks like all the questions have been answered, but I wanted to mention that I have a book that I carry with me at all times with Medical History and Emergency Contacts Forms. These forms include allergies, vaxes, all other info that a paramedic would possibly need in order to start emergency life saving or transport a child to the hospital in case anything happened. It also has all the names and numbers I would need to start calling parents, grandparents, etc. to meet the child at the hospital ASAP.

Cadillac
03-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Yes, make sure you have a sick policy. If possible, bold the whole thing. I have had way too many children show up here with fevers and green mucous lately. UGH!

YES THE PENALTY. I am revising my contract, registration, and child profiles for next year. Glad i started early as a few posts that have come up recently have been very helpful.

THE PENALTY IS KEY!!!!!

I don't understand why parents think its ok to be 'just a few days' late on payment. What would they do if THEIR boss just 'FORGET' (whoopsi!) to pay them? I've had so much trouble with this

Mamma_Mia
03-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Well it looks like all the questions have been answered, but I wanted to mention that I have a book that I carry with me at all times with Medical History and Emergency Contacts Forms. These forms include allergies, vaxes, all other info that a paramedic would possibly need in order to start emergency life saving or transport a child to the hospital in case anything happened. It also has all the names and numbers I would need to start calling parents, grandparents, etc. to meet the child at the hospital ASAP.

I keep a copy of the contract and emergancy forms in my diaper bag and it comes with me everywhere I go! :)

playfelt
03-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Also on the forms make sure you have either two copies of the forms or a copy of phone numbers. I know of a caregiver that had a child get injured while on an outing - she did it right and had the form and the paramedics took the form to the hospital with the child because in this case the child had drug allergies etc. Then of course the provider went to contact the child's parents and had no numbers. She ended up having to call one of the other parents in her program who knew where the hurt child's mom worked and could call her for the provider.

Inspired by Reggio
03-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Also on the forms make sure you have either two copies of the forms or a copy of phone numbers. I know of a caregiver that had a child get injured while on an outing - she did it right and had the form and the paramedics took the form to the hospital with the child because in this case the child had drug allergies etc. Then of course the provider went to contact the child's parents and had no numbers. She ended up having to call one of the other parents in her program who knew where the hurt child's mom worked and could call her for the provider.

Totally agree - I keep coPies in my emergency back pack for when out plus all their info like health card # and alternate contacts is on my phone under "notes" in my contact list for each client ... plus a condensed phone list by the phone in playroom...slightly paranoid about being able to reach them ;)