PDA

View Full Version : Sharing quick, nutritious and yummy recipe

Artsand crafts
03-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Hello Ladies,

Would you share one of your quick, nutritious and yummy recipes. If we share we could help each other for when we are in rush or or have a new clingy baby :D. This is my share:

Kale Chips

1 big bunch kale
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
a pinch of chilli powder
a pinch of salt

1.Preheat oven to 250 F. Remove steams and woody ribbing from the leaves of the kale. Tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Wash and dry.
2.Add all ingredients to a large bowl and whisk. Add the kale leaves and toss with your hands, coating each leave, front and back .
3.Lay the kale out on a parchment paper-covered cookie sheet.
4.Working in batches, bake in the oven, until the chips are flat and crisp (from 17 to 25 minutes depending on how thick the leaves are). They should be as crispy as potato chips.

I make them often and keep them in a ziploc bag. I give them to the kids when they are starving and still fixing lunch or for some reason we ran late from and outdoor activity that happened before lunch.

sunnydays
03-15-2013, 12:47 PM
That sounds awesome! I take it your kids like them? I will have to give it a try! Let me think now about a recipe I can share in return ;)

Hello Ladies,

Would you share one of your quick, nutritious and yummy recipes. If we share we could help each other for when we are in rush or or have a new clingy baby :D. This is my share:

Kale Chips

1 big bunch kale
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
a pinch of chilli powder
a pinch of salt

1.Preheat oven to 250 F. Remove steams and woody ribbing from the leaves of the kale. Tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Wash and dry.
2.Add all ingredients to a large bowl and whisk. Add the kale leaves and toss with your hands, coating each leave, front and back .
3.Lay the kale out on a parchment paper-covered cookie sheet.
4.Working in batches, bake in the oven, until the chips are flat and crisp (from 17 to 25 minutes depending on how thick the leaves are). They should be as crispy as potato chips.

I make them often and keep them in a ziploc bag. I give them to the kids when they are starving and still fixing lunch or for some reason we ran late from and outdoor activity that happened before lunch.

Skysue
03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
It doesn't sound like anything my daycare kids would eat! I have some extremely fussy kids and it makes it 100 times more difficult due to some of the parents feeding them processed junk. I may make it for my DD who recently declined eating a hotdog at her friends house. When I asked her why she declined she said come on Mom you know there not healthy.

Just curious what do they look like? We had broccoli at lunch today and when I told the kids they were eating grasshopper surprise the ate 2nds, so funny.

Artsand crafts
03-15-2013, 01:18 PM
My ex-picky eater son loooves them. My other kids like them too. I also like them a lot. I like the crunchy texture. My kids are under 2 years old, but I have over 2 yo before that have like them after they got used to see them often. Besides the flavor I think they like the crunchiness and the funny noises when chewing. I can see some kids will be afraid to try. Even a mom of those kids that like them did not want to try. I think it looks weird eating green chips. It looks as if you had a lettuce get dried. It looks kind of wrinkly.

sunnydays
03-15-2013, 01:23 PM
LOL. I served "magic leprauchan green omelette" today and they all ate it right up...if I had instead called it "spinach omelette", I think I would have had a lot of resistance ;) So funny how easily kids can be tricked into liking things. I will try the kale chips and think of a fun name...maybe "leprauchan chips" woud do the trick ;)

sunnydays
03-15-2013, 01:25 PM
One of my standby meals is grilled salmon sandwiches. I just take a can of salmon and mix it with a spoonful of mayonaise and a handful of shredded cheese, then spread on bread (I usually toast one side first in the broiler and then put the salmon on the untoasted side) and put in the broiler until the cheese is melted (it only takes a minute or so...it is very easy to burn them, so you have to watch carefully). All of my kids love them (although some were not enthusiastic the first time as with anything) and they are easy and nutritious :)

Artsand crafts
03-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Hahaha... When I had older kids I used to serve "fish swimming on pink mud" (beets creamy soup with fish crackers)... One of my picky eaters at that time like it a lot, but he would always ask me for seconds of "fish without mud" LOL

Artsand crafts
03-15-2013, 01:35 PM
I will try the salmon sandwich. Sound like something the kids would like... Thanks for sharing!

monkeymama
03-15-2013, 01:51 PM
my kids favorite go-to meal is egg scramble...scrambled eggs, brown rice, green peppers, mushrooms, celery and little shredded cheese....empty plates everytime!

Artsand crafts
03-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Monkeymama, do you fry veggies before mixing it with the raw eggs? or are they just raw? do you dice them? That sounds like something that "I" would like. All my favorite veggies, rice and eggs. I would finish it all, too!

Momof4
03-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Oh dear, my dckids won't touch kale chips or omelettes although I like both of those things. I've been making kale chips for a couple of years. They are addictive. My dckids only eat basic cooking, meat, veggies, fruit, they don't like to venture out to anything out of the ordinary which sucks!

playfelt
03-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Monkeymama, do you fry veggies before mixing it with the raw eggs? or are they just raw? do you dice them? That sounds like something that "I" would like. All my favorite veggies, rice and eggs. I would finish it all, too!

When I add veggies to things like an omelette I am usually using last nights left over veggies so cooked but cold from the fridge - I use a lot of frozen mixed veggies as in already chopped and ready to go.

monkeymama
03-15-2013, 08:18 PM

I fry the veggies in my skillet, scramble the eggs and cook the rice and then mix it all together with shredded cheese on top...it is delicious!

aplacetogrow
03-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Quinoa Peanut Butter Balls

1/2 cup quinoa cooked

1/4 cup natural peanut butter or almond butter
2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
a little water

Mix everything together roll into balls and chill in fridge makes about 20 balls

Momof4
03-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Quinoa Peanut Butter Balls

1/2 cup quinoa cooked

1/4 cup natural peanut butter or almond butter
2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
a little water

Mix everything together roll into balls and chill in fridge makes about 20 balls

Thanks, so nutritious! Someone on another forum posted a recipe for Breakfast Cookies:

1 cup oatmeal & 2 ripe bananas mixed together (you can add honey, maple syrup, cinnamon, nuts or whatever you prefer) then bake at 350 F for 17 minutes. I got mixed reviews from my dckids on this one but I used the maple syrup. Next time I'll try honey and some chopped nuts I think.

Artsand crafts
03-22-2013, 12:31 PM
I made these sandwiches Today! All my kids loooooveeee them. Seconds where asked. I like them a lot, too. I pan fry them with olive oil so they become crispy. Thank you for the recipe Sunnydays!
One of my standby meals is grilled salmon sandwiches. I just take a can of salmon and mix it with a spoonful of mayonaise and a handful of shredded cheese, then spread on bread (I usually toast one side first in the broiler and then put the salmon on the untoasted side) and put in the broiler until the cheese is melted (it only takes a minute or so...it is very easy to burn them, so you have to watch carefully). All of my kids love them (although some were not enthusiastic the first time as with anything) and they are easy and nutritious :)

sunnydays
03-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Glad they liked them :) I haven't tried the kale chips yet, but plan to as soon as I get around to buying some kale ;)