PDA

View Full Version : Help! I can't get any kids!

venusrockstar
03-15-2013, 12:52 PM
I am really trying to open my home daycare for June 2013, but I am having a very hard time getting any kids. I don't have any yet. I have been advertising for a couple months now and I get inquiries, but then I am just not located in the area of the city that people are looking for.

I am starting to really panic. I don't have any daycare lined up for my 2 girls, and if I were to have to go back to work, pretty much my entire pay check will go to paying daycare for my own girls. So, essentially I will be working full-time for nothing to show for it. We won't even be able to afford our house bills.

I just don't know what to do. I've advertised on all my local FB groups I'm on, networked through FB, on kijiji, on here etc. I made up some flyer ideas, but then my computer crapped out with a virus and needs to be repaired before I can have use of anything again. I was going to take them around my neighbourhood. I have called the schools down the street, the library, the community centre and none of those places will let me advertise. I have been checking out some of the grocery stores in the area, but none of them seem to have a place for ads either.

I'm getting really frustrated and worried. What can I do?

cfred
03-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Sorry to hear you're having such a rough go of it. Lots of us have noticed a bit of a lull. When you get your computer up and running, maybe creating a website would be a good idea? I've done one and it's been very helpful. You can take your flyer to local schools where there should be a list of local providers in the main office. People often ask schools if there is daycare in the area. I've gotten leads that way. I've found in the past that flyers weren't generally very successful. Other providers take them down or remove all the numbered tabs, the stores take them down, what have you. For me, all....ALL my business has come from internet traffic, both through here and nearly as much through my website on its own.

And.....don't advertise that you're brand new to the biz. People generally will look for experience. Let them come in and see what you've got to offer before letting that out to the general public. BUT, advertise any child related experience you have, whether school placements (if you went to school for this), volunteer work, raising your own children....you get the idea.

Good luck!

Trace of Angels
03-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Do you ever go to local playgroups? Do you go to local parks? I find that word of mouth is the best advertising out there for childcare :-) Sometimes you have to put yourself out there. Tell people and new mom's what your plans are. I have never done any advertising and am always full. But I go to playgroups and parks all the time. New mom's see me in action and are always asking about open spots.........my advice would be to get out there and start talking!

sunnydays
03-15-2013, 01:28 PM
I second teh website idea as well as going to playgroups. I did both when I was starting out and it worked really well. Make sure you make yourself some business cards to take with you when you are at the park, playgroups,etc. I made mine easily with Microsoft Publisher and printed them on cardstock...very cheap and easy :) Good luck! There does seem to be a bit of a lull right now...hang in there!

Artsand crafts
03-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Even I do not like agencies too much, when I started I got enrolled with one. They brought me clients. I had to give up a big portion of my paycheck, but at least I have something while I was starting building a reputation. You could get kids through an agency and at the same time advertising for private clients and have a mix of agency and private clients.

Momof4
03-15-2013, 04:06 PM
I'm in your city so send me a pm if I can help you in any way. Have you advertised at the hospitals, university, college, factories, you get to a lot of people that way. I agree with the posters who said do not mention that you are brand new and never advertise that you have more than one space to fill because that scares people away. Those first clients who put their faith in you are wonderful. You will find them. You have to find your own niche, what makes you special? What are your strengths? That's how I advertise and it works. I'm turning people away all the time and I always ask them what part of the city they live so if I know someone I can recommend them. Network with your fellow caregivers who are willing to help you (:tearywave:) and that helps tremendously.

shopgirl
03-16-2013, 09:59 AM
I agree, I think a website is powerful. You can get free ones. People love looking at websites and more likely to contact you.
I have some questions... how is your house set up? what do you tell people at interview? do you have curriculum? backyard? smoke free? trying to get a pic of your daycare.. sometimes there is a red flag that you don't see that others do... if you give us more details of your daycare we might be able to spot one for you that could be easily fixed.

mommylove
03-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Word of mouth is key get out there and talk to other providers they may even be full and throw some parents your way and/or have some great advice to give you on how they got kids. I am having a hard time filling my last spot and have had interviews with no luck its a tough business...I hope you get some kids soon....GOOD LUCK