PDA

View Full Version : Late payment

mlle.coccinelle
03-18-2013, 11:30 AM
I am usualy payed on the 1st and the 15 of the month.

On friday at drop off, one of the family said that they would pay me at pick up...... It was a family friend that came and pick up their daughter because they ''had to stay late at work...'' When I called them around 7:30 to ask about the payment, they said they would come on saturday to pay me.... and they didn't... So i called saturday night and said OH! we are so sorry we completely forgot... we will come tomorrow morning for sure.... And of course, sunday afternoon when i called to know where the heck my money was they didn't answer!

This morning, their daughter was supposed to come at 8:00. they didn't show, they didn't call... when I try to call they pick up the phone and hang up . I left a message and E-mail the mom...

Now, would you go directly to their home to get your payment or would you wait and hope they eventually show up with the money?

Be assured that when we sign contracts again in july. I will ask for full payment on the 1st of the month and will put 10$ late fee per day....! Why is it that i'm having SO much trouble getting payed .... Its so upsetting!

cfred
03-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Maybe I'm reading into this, but I'm kind of feeling that they're not coming back. They didn't show up on a scheduled day, no phone call, hanging up on you when you call.....I might be way off, but I think they've checked out. And if they haven't checked out, I'd seriously contemplate getting rid of them. No way would I even entertain the idea of signing them on for another year.

Maybe others in here will have better insight than I, but that's my take on the situation.

torontokids
03-18-2013, 11:53 AM
I agree, sounds like they are avoiding you because they aren't coming back. I would email them and let them know if they don't pay you within 24 hrs you will put their debt in collections. Do you have a deposit?

cfred
03-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Do NOT go directly to their home to collect payment. You never know what kind of situation could arise in that circumstance. I would just notify them, as Torontokids said, and put them through to a collection agency. It's totally not worth getting into a heated confrontation over. I'm not saying that YOU would do that, but they could....ya know?

I'm sorry this has happened to you. Really crappy behaviour their part - obviously NOT the cream of the crop by society's standards.

monkeymama
03-18-2013, 12:04 PM
I agree with cfred- I wouldnt go to their home. I would send an email and leave a voice mail (If you can) that their failure to payment leaves their contract void and they have 24 hours to pay IN FULL before you send their information to collections.

What awful people to do that...and these people are parents?!?! I just cant believe how some people behave, and teach such behavior to their children.

sunnydays
03-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Wow! How rude! I agree with the ladies above...the first thing I thought when reading your post was that they are not coming back and do not plan to pay you. Was there any kind of problem before this either with the parents or with the child? Something that could give you a clue as to why they might want to leave? I also agree with the others...do not go to their home. Just send them an email letting them know that whether or not their child returns, they still owe you the money (I am assuming you have a notice period which must be given) as per your contract and then quote the section of your contract that deals with this. I would also tell them that failure to bring the money today will be taken as their notice and you will start advertising the space. Good luck!

boygirlgirlboy
03-18-2013, 12:12 PM
That's just down right ignorant. I'd want absolutely nothing to do with them any more.
Good luck with whatever route you have to take. I hope they come pay you, than you can thank them kindly and kick them out the door!!!!

mlle.coccinelle
03-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Yeah that's the feeling i'm getting too. I told them 2 weeks ago I was going on a 1 month Mat leave in june ...and they have been very distant since then... they knew i was pregnant before that but i guess they never clued in that i would take some time off to recuperate and get to know my baby for a bit.

Now my problem is with income... i mean, I really needed their income to be able to pay my bills and such! it's going to be such a pain trying to find someone knowing that i'll take 1 month mat leave in june! oh the joy!

Crayola kiddies
03-18-2013, 12:45 PM
My take on it is that they found alternate arrangements and my guess is that the spot was available right away and they didn't want to pay two daycares for the same weeks so you got the shaft. I would never welcome them back to my care and I would not even contact them again I would just put their account with a collections agency. Don't even warn them. JMO

cfred
03-18-2013, 12:46 PM
I hear ya! Financially, it's tough, but it doesn't sound like they're giving you an option. I know you want to make it work, but it sounds like a done deal to me. Financially, it can be tough and I've been there. I usually, when something like this happens and the panic sets in, will sit down and work out my budget. Write it down on paper - exactly what's coming in and exactly what's going out (without that source of income). I usually feel better after I do that as typically, there's enough to go around, though I have to spread it a little more thin for a while. It's just nice to see it on paper, to see where your belt could be tightened a bit.

treeholm
03-18-2013, 12:50 PM
They may block your number, so call them from somewhere else to let them know they have 24 hours before their bill goes to collections. Looks like they found someone else for their child.

cfred
03-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Ohhh, good point treeholm! Jeez, I'm coming straight to you next time I get screwed over! A woman with a plan and a mind to deal with sneaks.....love it!

mlle.coccinelle
03-18-2013, 01:24 PM
ahaha! yeah well I was going to try calling them with my husband's cell phone tonight to see if they will answer. I updated my openings here and will post on kijiji like a mad lady! Hopefully someone will fall in love with my dayhome and wont mind that I will be closing for 1 month in 2 1/2 months!
The good news is that my husband can do lots and lots of overtime at work and we have a pretty big tax refund this year ( thx to out move across the country!)

mom-in-alberta
03-18-2013, 03:24 PM
What JERKS!! They are NOT coming back.
That's too bad. Some people just cannot deal with things in a mature way. :(

mlle.coccinelle
03-18-2013, 04:28 PM
yeah, what really surprise me, or upsets me i should say is the fact that they come from a 7$ daycare from Québec.... they should be used to paying on time and calling if they don't show up... I don't think that they could pull off everything they pulled on me

Momof4
03-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Oh dear, I hope you get paid whether or not they come back. This proves that people will always do what is best for them and we get the short end of the stick so we should never feel guilty when we have to make a business decision that is best for us.

Kabloozi
03-19-2013, 09:07 AM
My contract states 2week notice if terminating care and a late payment fee per day! Too bad they did this to you. Parents have to behave responsible and honest. I had a one page agreement for and through experiences my contract is 8 pages in small font. :). Let us know what happens!