PDA

View Full Version : Milestones before school

mlle.coccinelle
03-19-2013, 12:40 PM
I have been looking for days online and I guess I'm not entering the right keywords for it but I'm trying to find out milestone that children should reach before going to school ( or preschool)

I'm working on building my educational program and It's lots harder than I though! :blink:

Thx!

Sandbox Sally
03-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Try googling kindergarten readiness, maybe, with your school district?

Spixie33
03-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Try this link http://www.daycarebear.ca/forum/showthread.php/1273-Kindergarten-Readiness-from-what-was-posted-in-a-public-school?highlight=kin dergarten

It has a list from a poster that I saw hung up in one of the local schools on preparing children for kindergarten and what they should know.....

Crayola kiddies
03-19-2013, 01:01 PM
from what ive heard basically they need to self dress and self toilet, they need to know how to hold a pencil properly, know which way to hold a book and that words go from left to right, recognize their own name, count to 5. uuummmm that's all I can remember right now. I have noticed with the last three kids I have sent off to jk and well as the one i have now that will be going in the fall..... they don't have a clue!!!!! my own kids all could recognize every letter of the alphabet (upper and lower case) they could print their own name, could count to at least 20, knew their address and telephone number, days of the week and left and right ....my youngest is turning 4 in august and heading to jk this fall and yesterday he counted to 120. It boggles my mind that these kids cant recognize and letter of the alphabet and that the parents don't see this as a problem. I know that they will catch up but kids are such sponges at this age why not give them the tools to succeed now .....the dcg I sent off to jk last sept would cry everytime I asked her what a letter was or if I asked her to go get me a certain letter off the fridge ninety percent of the time she brought me a number ......she didn't know the difference between letters and numbers. to me that is sad .....

playfelt
03-19-2013, 01:01 PM
There might be something on the website for your school district. Also realizing that children don't start school in Alberta till a year later than Ontario (no JK) you might want to look at that to get some ideas to do for the 4 year old year. Mostly concentrate on books, concepts, make sure they know their colours, shapes, counting to 30-50, start the concept of math in the sense of more/less than, adding and subtracting, printing letters of their names, sounds letters make.

mlle.coccinelle
03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
ok great! I have a little girl turning 4 in a few months and her mom was not able to put her into a preschool class for september... I'm kinda ''worried'' because she is the only old child I have ( everybody else is under 36 months) and not at the same stage as her....so her mom asked me to help her out with this one ( and i'm willing to do of course...) but the thing is she barely talks, she doesn't know the difference between letters and numbers.... and is more intrested in games for young babies than games for her age....

I guess i'm just not too sure how to help her out! Also, she will be going to our city's francophone school... but refuses to speak in french to me! She understands simple sentences that I say to the little one... but not vocabulary for her age group!

I have a bad feeling about this one

mom-in-alberta
03-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Mlle. C, I sent you a PM. :)

Momof4
03-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Socialization, behaving, listening, these are all much more important than recognizing any letters or numbers, that will come out quickly in JK.

abster
04-16-2013, 08:26 PM
I just wanted to put on here that all of the things are guidelines of what they "hope" the child can do for junior kindergarten. There is no set rules that they have to do them. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be attempted at being taught the things through fun play but people should not be stressing as much as they do. My son is starting jk in September and can not dress himself, does not talk that other people understand him, is not toilet trained. We have worked hard with him and are proud of what he has accomplished this far. He will get extra help at school. At the moment there is no developmental diagnosis but the school cannot turn a child away. There is so much stress around on everyone and their kids to be genious's we need to remember that they need to be kids and that each one is unique in their way.

Momof4
04-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Abster, I couldn't agree with you more! Well said.