PDA

View Full Version : Stuck with circle ideas for after school program for 4 year olds

mellymel
03-24-2013, 10:24 AM
i have a schoolage group of 4 year olds and iam stuck on some circle ideas i can provide for them . we are only in cirlce for 10min. please help. thank you:)

mimi
03-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Ask each of them to share with you what they did at school that day. What did they do for craft? What song did they sing etc. You would be surprised how much they will enjoy chatting about their day.

Bookworm
03-24-2013, 08:23 PM
Yes, I always ask my daughter at bedtime what her favourite thing she did that day was, and sometimes it surprises me what she says. You could probably ask them questions like that too.

playfelt
03-24-2013, 09:13 PM
I agree that the group time maybe needs to be kept more informal if they have been in school all day. Maybe sing some silly type songs that might not be done at school - the kind of song you sing at camp or brownies or beavers.

Games that involve the whole group such as picking a catagory and then go around the circle with each one adding something to the list. When they get stumped change the topic - ex name a colour, name a fruit or vegetable, name a country, etc.

Dreamalittledream
03-25-2013, 04:33 AM
Mine love this: Have them hold a certain color, or animal finger puppet, or object and tell a story...each time that object is said they get to hold it up and shout it! Or, you could tie in a craft with a story: Craft is making butterflies; then you read all about them (you could even make some magnifying glasses/butterfly nets and go pretend exploring for butterflies). Also, my group loves action stories that get them up & moving throughout.

momofnerds
03-25-2013, 07:49 AM
I have 4 yr olds that come after school and they can't wait to play, esp. with their friends (they all go to different schools) I wouldn't do too much on circle time because they have been at school all day, they just want snack and play