PDA

View Full Version : Too many daycare in the area... Having second thoughts on opening!

sweetness852010
06-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Hello everyone,

I am posting this to see what your thoughts are. I was an ECE at a daycare before i had my once i had her i decide to stay home with her and watch her and my 4 year son grow. I miss working in the daycare field so i thought it was a good idea to open one at home. I finished my mat leave in jan 2011 posted an add everywhere got lots of interviews but no replies back. But now im relizing that there are too many daycares in my area alone. Now im regreting on let my job go and getting a little stress on what to do? any suggestions?:(

KingstonMom
06-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Dont give up yet! there are always plenty of new moms returning to work from mat leave (and i find this is the #1 type of person looking for daycare). If you have been interviewing for 6 months and had zero success, are you sure it is because of too many daycares in the area?
How do the interviews go? Is there anyone you know who currently does daycare in your area that you could ask for an honest opinion on why you could not be getting any charges signed on?
I had plenty of second thoughts when I first started not too long ago, but come next month, I will be full with 5 kids! It picks up quick! Maybe you will see some increase in inquiries come the new school year I bet!
Good Luck and stick with it, you are educated in the field so im sure you will succeed!

sweetness852010
06-30-2011, 07:38 AM
there is four daycares in my street

Play and Learn
06-30-2011, 07:43 AM
There are 3 including myself in our subdivision, then one down the road, and another one that I'm aware of in the next subdivision 2 minutes over.

You have to sell yourself as a business. You're an ECE - are you Registered? Make yourself a website, get business cards to hand out at local businesses.

It takes time for people to see that the new daycares are just as good as the old ones are. I had one child when I began a year ago, and now have 3 starting in August/September. I've also had 3 families come and go within the past 6 months. As you are an ECE, tell the parents of your experience.

If you have any questions/concerns, feel free to PM me.

Spixie33
06-30-2011, 01:15 PM
I had really bad luck the first 6 months I advertised too. I either totally blew the interview or else had months go by without calls or didn't feel comfortable with the families. Then in September I filled up within a mere weeks. I think it is slower right now and that more people start looking when it is time for the fall and back to school. Some people time their maternity leaves to last through the summer and that is why these months can be slow for contact.

You are an ECE...so play that up in your ad. Go to early Years in your area and network with other moms, hang up flyers and make a great ad on this website.
I have two daycares on every street of my subdivision at least. Some people joke that they literally have daycares on either side of their house....and the park is like daycare mania each morning. lol But it is possible to find people because eventually other daycares reach their limits and people need to look elsewhere -right?

Once the daycares around you are full then who will people go to and who will they call? you !

Hang in if you can:yes:

mom-in-alberta
06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
I don't think that it's about how many are in your area, necessarily. I think that just means you need to be more assertive in advertising, and take the extra step in doing flyers, cards, etc.
When it comes to interviews, be as prepared as possible. Have your policies and procedures set up, have your paperwork ready, don't be vague about things. If parents are interviewing a number of people, you want to stick out as a professional and capable caregiver. Have your home completely set up the way it would be. When I first started interviewing, I didn't have things quite the way I wanted them (no baby area yet, etc). Parents don't care about "what I'm going to do", if the daycare across the street is ready to go!
I would sell all your best features like the ECE, and double check that your rates are on par with what is common in your city.
Find a part time income if you feel like you need it, but if this is what you want to do, then don't give up yet. It seems like all across Canada, there is the same trend: no luck for a period of time, and then bam! You fill right up...
Good luck

sunnydays
06-30-2011, 04:38 PM
I agree...you have to be proactive. There are lots of daycares in my area too and yet I filled all my spaces pretty quickly because I really worked at it...I made a website, business cards, flyers, advertised on Kijiji, daycare bear, etc. I told everyone I knew and handed cards out all over the place. I also organized a really great play space and prepared all my documents, contract, menus, etc so that people could see I am a professional even though I am new. If there is competition, you have to make sure you have the edge on the others, but I wouldn't suggest charging less than the going rate as you will probably soon regret that.

sweetness852010
06-30-2011, 07:34 PM
thanks for the advice guys. ive been putting ads up everywhere such as kijiji, used ottawa, and here. ive also set up the daycare they way i want it as well as a parent handbook of policies. Im going to make cards and flyers next. im trying my hardest not to give up!

Spixie33
06-30-2011, 08:30 PM
I don't think that it's about how many are in your area, necessarily. I think that just means you need to be more assertive in advertising, and take the extra step in doing flyers, cards, etc.
When it comes to interviews, be as prepared as possible. Have your policies and procedures set up, have your paperwork ready, don't be vague about things. If parents are interviewing a number of people, you want to stick out as a professional and capable caregiver. Have your home completely set up the way it would be. When I first started interviewing, I didn't have things quite the way I wanted them (no baby area yet, etc). Parents don't care about "what I'm going to do", if the daycare across the street is ready to go!I would sell all your best features like the ECE, and double check that your rates are on par with what is common in your city.
Find a part time income if you feel like you need it, but if this is what you want to do, then don't give up yet. It seems like all across Canada, there is the same trend: no luck for a period of time, and then bam! You fill right up...
Good luck

Yup - that is how I blew my initial few interviews. I told the parents all about what I was going to do and didn't really have it done. I was just putting my feelers out to guage interest and really should have gotten ready before interviewing. I was like "I am going to buy more toys and I am going to install a gate here, etc". It was a big fail.:o

playfelt
06-30-2011, 09:15 PM
thanks for the advice guys. ive been putting ads up everywhere such as kijiji, used ottawa, and here. ive also set up the daycare they way i want it as well as a parent handbook of policies. Im going to make cards and flyers next. im trying my hardest not to give up!

Assuming since you are using the ottawa site you are in the area. I am in Orleans and there is an overabundance of caregivers out this way. I am noticing people starting to cut their prices from $40 a day to $38-39. Military posting season is beginning and families moving will want to do so for the next school year. It can be effective to take a walk and look for moving vans on area streets, houses for sale/sold and making contact with the families. I have had some success putting ads up on the mailboxes - some posties leave them some don't. Being a member of CCPRN gets your name on the database that parents can access. Also looking into the monthly childcare connection meetings - no meeting in July.

horsegirl
07-06-2011, 06:43 PM
We have quite a few daycares in our area in BC and I have found from many years of experience that if you offer something extra---preschool type of learning for a few hours, theme days, French lessons, music lessons, lots of outtings to parks, it seems that the parents like this. Also, get involved with the local churches and Moms and tots groups. Hand out cards at the shopping centre or grocery store. Take your daycare children to the grocery store in the buggy and holding on to the side and let everyone notice you teaching them about fruits and vegetables. Just some ideas that have worked for me over the years. You really need to sell yourself and let the parents know why they should choos you for a caregiver.

Good Luck:rolleyes:

Tot-Time
07-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Oh boy! Deciding whether or not to go back to working in a centre or opening your home daycare can be a difficult decision! I feel for you!

I too am from an area that has an over abundance of home daycare and centres. There are a minimum of 8 daycares on my crescent ALONE with 2 daycare centres in walking distance! Let alone the many other home daycares in the area. I moved here 4 years ago and up until December I had a waiting list of children waiting to get into my daycare. All of a sudden in January the inquiries dropped and finding children has been more of a struggle for the caregivers in my area.

My suggestion would be to network with caregivers in your area before you give up (if finances will allow). Through networking you can receive some advertising tips, possibly some referals, and determine if it is a mistake or two you are making during the interview process or if there are several caregivers in your area also struggling to find children.

I agree that you need to advertise that you are ECE, have a website (if you need help I might be able to give you a few pointers), develop a program, your schedule, etc. As an ECE I believe you should have a structured circle time with learning, have a meal plan etc. All these things will help make your daycare 'stand out' a little.

Another thing I would suggest especially when starting and you want to make a professional presentation during your interviews is to have a portfolio. I had many families who were impressed by my portfolio and it helped me during my interviews.

lotssoflove
01-11-2012, 12:25 PM
my area is FLOODED with AHDC! Theres like 12 on the school daycare list alone and three more new ones opening up. Dont be too concerned. It really is timing. Are you near a school at all? If so most have a daycare list they supply the parents. Go in and see if you can get on it. Also, visit some play groups. The more people you now the more the word will get around.
GOOD LUCK!

Skysue
01-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Hello everyone,

I am posting this to see what your thoughts are. I was an ECE at a daycare before i had my once i had her i decide to stay home with her and watch her and my 4 year son grow. I miss working in the daycare field so i thought it was a good idea to open one at home. I finished my mat leave in jan 2011 posted an add everywhere got lots of interviews but no replies back. But now im relizing that there are too many daycares in my area alone. Now im regreting on let my job go and getting a little stress on what to do? any suggestions?:(

Don't give up based on that! Make your product better, call all the ladies that do daycare on your street and bring them to your place for tea. Ask them if they have any suggestions on your space let them know your credentials and let the referrals flow! What better way to network yourself, also ask them to be back up providers incase of illness, appt etc… and you as well! If you can’t beat them join them!