PDA

View Full Version : Is 5-10 Minute Early Drop off Worth it?

PattyCake
03-25-2013, 07:47 AM
It's Monday and I was hoping that the week would start off better....I open at 7am promptly. Over the last three weeks one family has been dropping off their son & daughter at 6:50am-6:55am ....although it irritates me because every minute in the morning is valuable for me, I feel like they are taking advantage in a small way. Is it worth it to say something to the parents over 5-10 minutes or should I just suck it up for the long haul to keep the peace? TIA ! :)

Wonderwiper
03-25-2013, 07:52 AM
If it annoys you ( as it would me) then you should it address it now. You have let them do it, so they do! Don't open your door until exactly opening time. They will stop showing up early when they can't get in.

If you let it go it will just eat away at you and you will resent this family.

BlueRose
03-25-2013, 07:53 AM
talk to them. 5 to 10 min will turn into 15 to 20min. Tell them that you don't open your door until 7am (daycare clock time). Then don't answer or unlock your door until 7am. If they keep showing up and knocking on your door before 7am. then let them know that there will be a fee for each minute they are early. If this happens make the fee a steep on like $5.00/min. Can you put a light in your window ans each morning turn it on at 7am to tell the family's you are now open and ready for them??

playfelt
03-25-2013, 08:00 AM
Just as I have a few minutes grace at the end of the day I have the same at the beginning in the sense that some days things just go right like the lights are all green, or there is no traffic at the four way stops or the kids don't dawdle as much getting into the car. There are lots of reasons to be 5 minutes early. But that is the grace period. Any more than that and we need to talk.

If you are one of those that lives by the clock for operating hours then I like the idea of a light on in the entrance way with the idea if parents arrive and light is off they should stay in their cars till it is on as you don't need them ringing the bell over and over either. No light not open, light on come on in.

Monday 2 Friday Mama
03-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Do you have any "wiggle room" in terms of when you start up ? I'm thinking perhaps you could change your start time to 7:15 - that way if they show up a few minutes before you're open it's easier for you to just let it slide. I open at 7:30 - partly because I too had a family who would pretty consistantly show up about 7 minutes early. I was new at that point in time, and I really didn't want to get into a dust up with this Mum (she's the same one who would just "let herself in" as opposed to knocking) and this worked for me.

Crayola kiddies
03-25-2013, 08:12 AM
I do the light thing .... If the lights not on we are not open !

cfred
03-25-2013, 08:39 AM
I had this exact problem a number of years ago and I open at 6am! He did tell me that he'd have to start dropping them at 5:45 to which I say, "um, no, I'm sorry, I don't open till 6". He left it there then showed up at 5:55 the next day. I thought it was just a miscalculation of his drive time and not wanting to be nitpicky, I let it slide. That lasted 2 days, then he started showing up at 5:50, then the next day at 5:45. Nope. I left the lights off and just didn't open the door till 6. So far as I know, he just sat in the truck with his kids for the remaining time. He asked if we'd not heard him and I indicated that I was in the shower getting ready as I don't open till 6. It didn't happen again.

Do NOT give in on this. It seems like a little thing, but giving in sets a precedent and some people will totally take advantage of it. JMO.

apples and bananas
03-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Yes, I would absolutly say something. And I'd keep the lights off.

You could let them know that you're struggling with the early drop offs in the am. And you'd appreciate it if they could keep to their origional time of 7am. Make a joke about every minute counting in the morning. And let them know that you will turn the light on when you're ready for them.

I hate my 7am drop off! They've been on a later schedule for a while, but it will go back to 7am and I am not looking forward to it. I couldn't take it if they were any earlier.

mimi
03-25-2013, 09:08 AM
I have to open my garage door to let parents into the daycare. Normally as part of my prep for the day I would open the door at about 7:20 for my 7:30 arrivals. There was never any abuse of my opening time...........till now. My new dcb's mom saw the door open and came in the first day at 7:22. O.K., she knows my start time so now I open the door at 7:30 and she can wait in her car. Her child is here till 5:30 so I wouldn't start a minute earlier for her.

DeeDee
03-25-2013, 09:39 AM
I only unlock my door at my opening time. I was having a problem too with one parent showing up early. She would just walk right it no knocking or anything. I was still in the bathroom. So know no lights on and no door unlocked until the exact time I open. It gives me satisfaction knowing I am in control of MY business. :)