PDA

View Full Version : Happy full moon? Venting.

mlle.coccinelle
03-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Parents of my almost 3YO came to me this morning to speak about their daughter FREQUENT ( read here every day) nap accidents.

They said that they have been doing some reading on internet and think it's because of the addition of the new 17 MO I have in my care. She said it was because her daughter was jealous of the attention I was giving to that new little guy and that i needed to be more aware of her daughter's needs.

this kinda pisses me off. I'm not less aware of her needs, but I have a 17 months old that is having a very ruff time with his integration! I play with all of them on the floor like I always do... But sometimes I need to take a few minutes to take care of the screaming and crying little one.
Right now, they are 2 families of 5 people living at their house, she has no routine at home.... but there is no problem with that at all !

since she came in at 7:30 this morning, she has been hitting, taking toys away from the 2 little one I have here today. Everytime I tell her that she can't hit her friends like that.... she goes in the corner and cries for 10-15 minutes!
I'm done with this day and it's only 9:20.....!!

cfred
03-27-2013, 10:34 AM
It must be the full moon. All my children were heinous.......HEINOU S.......this morning. Even the really quiet one who worships me was giving me the stinkeye! I don't know what crawled in their diapers overnight to totally rankify all their personalities today, but criminy it's been a long morning!!!

They have gone for an early nap.

Hope your day gets better :)

Crayola kiddies
03-27-2013, 01:26 PM
first I would put a pull up on the kid during nap and that solves that problem. second I would tell those parents that change is a part of life and they have to adjust. its a daycare ...kids will come and go ....but that doesn't give the child a free pass with their behaviour. at almost three she should know better then to take toys and I would put her at the table locked in a booster seat with a few toys, a puzzle, or crayons and paper and she can earn the right to get down and play with the other kids. one infraction and back you go.
my first year operating I had one full time boy and a part time girl and an after school child.....at the end of the first year the part time girl left and I got a lot of interest from my ads and filled the rest of my spots and all of a sudden the full time boy turned into a hellion. the parents pulled the same "its cause you got more kids and he doesn't get the attention any more " crap on me ....so I told them that that's life and the sooner he comes to terms with it the better off he'll be. but these parents were so busy making sure this kid was never disappointed, they never used the word no, they spent all their time with him playing and engaging him ....he had no idea that you had to wait for things, take turns, and that he wasn't the center of the universe. if he wanted to go outside they went out side, if he woke up at 4 in the morning and wanted to watch tv they got up and watched tv. when it was time to go home from daycare and he didn't want to go she stood there and waited....but this is not reality and parents today are to busy trying to be their kids friends instead of there parents.
if these parents are intent on blaming you for their childs behaviour problems and peeing while she sleeps because you added more children to your day care maybe its time to replace that family. I am more inclined to believe the chaos at home is the real issue.

gcj
03-27-2013, 01:46 PM
wow1 Well said Crayola. I too would put a PUll Up for naps. No big deal. She's not ready, or can't handle the "change"....pull up time!

But, yeah. I would be totally ticked by their accusation. Puh-lease!

mlle.coccinelle
03-27-2013, 01:52 PM
yeah we talked about pull ups and she is against them so she decided that she will bring some clean sheets every mrning until her daughter decided that she is done with peeing in bed.

I started advertising for when I come back from maternity leave. As soon as I can find replacement.... they are out!

Crayola kiddies
03-27-2013, 02:10 PM
ummm nope sorry I wouldn't be changing sheets everyday and scrubbing the mattress cover....ive got enough stuff to do .... my son is 3.5 and he still wears a diaper for sleeping cause...well... he pees while he sleeps ....really the kid is pretty young to not need a containment unit while sleeping. do you put this child on the potty before nap? if yes then I would limit the amount of fluid she gets during lunch. make sure she has a good drink at morning snack and then just maybe an ounce or two at lunch. make sure she pees before going to bed and then a good drink at afternoon snack.

mom-in-alberta
03-27-2013, 03:02 PM
NOPE!! Pull-ups are a necessity.
She is 3. She is still little, and it is totally normal when she is sleeping to have an accident. In fact, I would take it as a compliment, because it means that she has been playing so hard and having so much fun that she is sleeping too deeply to wake up.
I would be getting her to use the toilet before nap, but then a Pull-up goes on. It is incredibly frustrating and disheartening for some kids to wake up wet after every single nap. It can do some harm to their self-esteem, because they feel like they have done something "bad". Especially if that is the way an accident is treated at home.
I would also be reminding mom and dad that in home daycare, kids come and go. Some clients are temporary, some (most!) go on mat leave within the first year. It is imperative that Little Darling learn to adapt. She is THREE, not one. There is no excuse for her hitting the littler kids, or taking toys from them, or whatever.

Basically... what Crayola said. ;)