PDA

View Full Version : Caterpillar time

BlueRose
04-05-2013, 04:03 PM
:) I have just ordered my caterpillars from CCPRN. Its going to be the first time since I was a kid that I have done this. I can't wait.

For those of you who are not members of CCPRN you can get caterpillars, tad-poles, ladybugs and more to watch grow form these websites:

http://http://monsieurpapillon.com/en/services/caterpillars.php

and

http://http://www.live-tadpoles.com/

sunnydays
04-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Awesome!!! I just looked on CCPRN and want to order some too! But, I have never done this...do I need to have anything else or does it come with everything I need?? I don't want to have to buy an aquarium or something. The frogs sounds neat too, but then what do you do with them after?? Butterflies seem easier because you can just let them go into the air...frogs would need a pond or something...or can they even be released? I think this would be such a great learning experience for all the kids :) I actually saw this on teh CCPRN calendar today, but didn't click on it as I wasn't sure what it was.

momofnerds
04-05-2013, 07:06 PM
my own kids would want to keep them forever. They love animals.

Other Mummy
04-10-2013, 09:14 AM
my own kids would want to keep them forever. They love animals.

LOL...mine too. They find an ant on the sidewalk and want to take it home. sigh.

playfelt
04-10-2013, 09:48 AM
I didn't get them last year but they came with everythign you need as in the caterpillar had food in the bottom of the jar it came in and did it's thing in the jar and then you let them go. Those that did it really enjoyed it. Thinking about it for this year but only 2 of mine would appreciate it so not sure if I will bother. I am desparately trying to keep the costs down for my daycare and not doing anything I don't have to is one way to do it.

sunnydays
04-16-2013, 01:58 PM
I ordered some! Apparently, though, you do have to buy some little cages for them to spread their wings open in. You can get them at Dollarama although I haven't been to verify that yet. I will go soon before they sell out I guess! I know what you mean though...many of mine are too young to understand...but I think they will get a real kick out of seeing a butterfly up close even if they don't understand. Plus it will bring to life the hungry little caterpillar felt set I am getting from you next month...LOL.

I didn't get them last year but they came with everythign you need as in the caterpillar had food in the bottom of the jar it came in and did it's thing in the jar and then you let them go. Those that did it really enjoyed it. Thinking about it for this year but only 2 of mine would appreciate it so not sure if I will bother. I am desparately trying to keep the costs down for my daycare and not doing anything I don't have to is one way to do it.

Spixie33
04-23-2013, 05:54 AM
How much did you end up paying for the caterpillars?? It seems like the cheapest kits in Canada are through Monsieur Papillon but it still comes to around $50-$60. Can you order less? I would be happy with just 4 caterpillars. $60 just seems expensive

BlueRose
04-23-2013, 06:13 AM
I got 2 caterpillars for $4 each through CCPRN here in Ottawa. I am just waiting for then to arrive.

sunnydays
04-23-2013, 06:19 AM
I ordered 4 through CCPRN as well at $4 each. I don't know what the deal is if you don't live in Ottawa and can't order through CCPRN. I figured that if I wanted one per child and then the website says there is the possibility of some dying, so I would have to order a few extra, that wuold be about 10...which would be $40 and too much for me (plus you still have to buy the little cages). So I settles on 4 with the hopes that at least 2 would survive and become butterflies :)

bright sparks
04-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks so much. I have been looking for tadpoles for ages as I am going to do a pond in a pot with my little ones

bright sparks
04-23-2013, 09:12 AM
I was actually thinking of just putting an ad in my local paper asking if anyone in the community had frogspawn they would donate to the daycare or would sell for a reasonable price. That way my kids can really see the life cycle. Also I would probably be able to take the frog back to the pond when it is fully developed and it can be in the best place possible versus a tank or small pond pot.