PDA

View Full Version : Am i the only one?

Calgarymom
04-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Hi, just wondered if I was the only person who has not filed there taxes yet? I wasn't too concerned until my husband went to file his today and could not do it without my income!! So now I am not flavour of the month round here.:ohmy: Why does he need my income to file his taxes? (new to Canadian tax system). Is it quite easy to file online or should I get an accountant to do it for me - I have most of the figures sorted and I did use to file online in England? Someone tell me they have not done theirs yet so I don't feel so alone? Thanks ladies

Artsand crafts
04-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Me neither... It is call procrastination lol! I am planning to tonight. I have always done the taxes myself. I have my paperwork sorted out. I need to start entering the info in Turbotax!!!! When I do mine I do my husband at the same time. It helps to do partners together for potential savings and refunds. I have always done it for both at once for that reason.

Sandbox Sally
04-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Please please pleasepleaseplease anyone...tell me the breakdown. I didn't file last year because I got scared. I have to file two years' worth of daycare taxes. I am terrified and am putting it off. I have NO idea what I'm doing.

Mondaygirl
04-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Another procrastinator here! Or actually, my husband is the procrastinator, and I can't file yet because I need his income for mine. It makes me feel very uneasy to not have it done yet, but DH keeps saying that we have plenty of time. :rolleyes:

Calgarymom
04-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Alphaghetti if I had know not filing was an option I would have chose that one! Lol. What is this breakdown you speak of (I take it that it isn't the one I am currenty having). Would that be how you work out the percentage of what you can claim from utilities etc. I have been looking at the cra website and it has a little story that explains how to work that out (hope you are good at math). Damn you taxes for spoiling my quiet time

Mondaygirl
04-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Wait, not filing is an option? I thought filing yearly was mandatory. (I'm not from Canada originally, so not exactly an expert.)

michellesmunchkins
04-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Alpha if I remember correctly your in my area (Durham region). If you want the name of my tax lady let me know. She is awesome. Only charged us $140 to do both mine and my husbands and knows all the breakdowns and what we can/cannot claim. Super nice lady

Crayola kiddies
04-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Filing is not an option unless you want some pretty stiff penalties .... If you don't know what you are doing then take it to an accountant and have it done .... Worth the money .... And have them do hubby's too and yes you have to file together as they need both incomes for certain tax breaks and child tax credit and the like ..... Mine are being prepared as we speak . And of course I owe !!!

mlle.coccinelle
04-08-2013, 03:35 PM
In canada, if you are married, you have to file your taxes together because it is considered to be 1 income per household.

and I'm pretty sure that businesses are allowed to file their taxes 2 years late without penalties.

that being said... I did mine as soon as I could because I was scared and it's actually not that bad at all! I used the ''band aid'' method. Faster you do it, less it hurts...! :laugh:

mimi
04-08-2013, 03:53 PM
I just found out that while a business can file up to the end of June, the cra will start from the end of april to charge you interest if you owe. Nice guys eh?

sunnydays
04-08-2013, 04:08 PM
You have until the end of June to file as a business owner...however, the previous poster is correct...if you owe, they start charging you interest in April :(

SecondAve
04-08-2013, 05:30 PM
You have until the end of June to file as a business owner...however, the previous poster is correct...if you owe, they start charging you interest in April :(

My accountant told me today that both my husband and I have until June 15th to file our returns. But, once again if we owe the interest begins accruing as of the end of April.

Spixie33
04-08-2013, 09:13 PM
I have been putting it off too but this is the week.

I am expecting that I will have to be CPP and the other which is usually between 400-800 dollars. I don't think it will be too traumatic but I still don't like dragging all my papers to the accountant and sitting there waiting for the verdict. The suspense is nerve-wracking. lol

Sandbox Sally
04-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Alpha if I remember correctly your in my area (Durham region). If you want the name of my tax lady let me know. She is awesome. Only charged us $140 to do both mine and my husbands and knows all the breakdowns and what we can/cannot claim. Super nice lady

YES, please!!

Sandbox Sally
04-09-2013, 08:45 AM
In canada, if you are married, you have to file your taxes together because it is considered to be 1 income per household.

and I'm pretty sure that businesses are allowed to file their taxes 2 years late without penalties.

that being said... I did mine as soon as I could because I was scared and it's actually not that bad at all! I used the ''band aid'' method. Faster you do it, less it hurts...! :laugh:

HUH? DH and I have always filed our taxes separately, and we have been married for 11 years.

playfelt
04-09-2013, 10:12 AM
You file separately but there are a couple of deductions that are based on household income so you need to include both. Depending on how much you actually have left over as income after deductions there is a chance your husband can still claim you for a portion of support - especially if you only worked part of the year.

Mine are done just not in good or submitted. On the list of things to do but you do have till midnight April 30 to do it if you owe and we all do because of CPP.

michellesmunchkins
04-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Alpha, Here is the link to her facebook group. If it doesn't work let me know and I can private message you her info. Her name is Sherri.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/ABC-Complete-Business-Services/158644894191150?fref =ts

Artsand crafts
04-23-2013, 07:29 PM
I finally did it! I feel as weight was lifted from my shoulders =) ... I spend almost all day last Saturday to finish mine and my hubby's. I love Turbo Tax... Every year I am filing later and later. Next year I am doing it earlier... I'm just not that organized and sorting out my paperwork is a pain in the behind for me...

playfelt
04-23-2013, 11:15 PM
I so hear you on the sorting out the paper work. And now because I have spent the last couple months worrying about the stuff from last year I am behind on getting 2013 organized. So that will be one of my next projects and plan to tweak the book keeping again to better reflect how it is counted for tax purposes which in theory should make it easier to do taxes next year.