PDA

View Full Version : Discovery toys?

GymMom
04-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Does anyone buy toys from Discovery Toys? are they worth the $ and if so, what are the favorites? I need to add a few toys to my playroom and I thought I might try ordering from DT for something a little different!

monkeys
04-12-2013, 09:15 AM
I have the boat and the castle for the balls to roll in. The kids love them and they are durable. I am always fishing out cars out of both, as the kids like to run the cars down the ramps, some make it some don't.

If the toys get broken, they will replace the broken piece. If you have kids that are rough on toys, this can make the extra cost well worth it.

I have a couple of games, but the kids tend to gravitate to the store bought games over the Discovery toys games. I really like the games, but its the kids that choose what they want to play with, so for now, if I need a game I will stick to the ones I can find at the box stores.

bright sparks
04-12-2013, 09:56 AM
I love discovery toys. I have picked up some 2nd hand items but also some demos. There is a rep not to far from me who sells off all her demo products each year before she restocks with new items to demonstrate. She sells everything with at least 30% off the rrp. I would try and locate your local rep and enquire as to whether they do anything similar to this.

playfelt
04-12-2013, 01:41 PM
I have the ball castle and the boat too and both are favourites. I also have the pegboard but the pegs are too small to just leave it out - but on a safety note the pegs do have a hold in them for lacing so if they were swallowed there would still be a tiny air hole but still they are on the shelf and used under supervision. I have a daisy shaped pegboard with big pegs for leaving out.

I love the nubby ball and the sensory vanilla smelling one - it's a blue silicon gell one.

I have found a lot of the same toys available in stores - battat makes many of them so you have to compare prices too.

One thing that is great form discovery toys is the choke tube. They have a tube that if a toy fits into it then it is unsafe for use by young children and a great thing for checking sizes of pieces.

sunnydays
04-12-2013, 01:55 PM
I think I want one of those 'choke tubes'!! That would be fantastic! Sometimes I look at small toys and wonder just how big it has to be not to go down those little windpipes. I will have to look into getting one of those :)

I have the ball castle and the boat too and both are favourites. I also have the pegboard but the pegs are too small to just leave it out - but on a safety note the pegs do have a hold in them for lacing so if they were swallowed there would still be a tiny air hole but still they are on the shelf and used under supervision. I have a daisy shaped pegboard with big pegs for leaving out.

I love the nubby ball and the sensory vanilla smelling one - it's a blue silicon gell one.

I have found a lot of the same toys available in stores - battat makes many of them so you have to compare prices too.

One thing that is great form discovery toys is the choke tube. They have a tube that if a toy fits into it then it is unsafe for use by young children and a great thing for checking sizes of pieces.

playfelt
04-12-2013, 07:35 PM
I think I want one of those 'choke tubes'!! That would be fantastic! Sometimes I look at small toys and wonder just how big it has to be not to go down those little windpipes. I will have to look into getting one of those :)

I noticed at the CCPRN office when I was there on Sunday that they have a couple of the tubes on the resource shelf and I assume you can sign them out for a couple weeks and check things around the house. Kathy-Ann Laman another CCPRN member is a discover toys vendor and gives members a deduction.

bright sparks
04-18-2013, 09:14 AM
If anyone has a 35mm film case then that is what I use when I assemble my treasure baskets.

SongSparrow
05-16-2013, 08:25 AM
We have some Discovery toys that I bought 6 yrs ago, mostly baby toys. They have held up very well, none of them have broken, even the battery op toy phone which is a favorite and has had a very hard life lol. Still looks and works like new!
I have 3 of their games for older kids and 2 are good, one not so great.

BrooklinMom
06-21-2013, 01:25 PM
I just came across this post which I found funny as I just placed an order. I love their toys because I find that they can be used across many ages. I was so excited to find a rep nearby because together she helped me decide what and how to order. Because I am a new daycare provider I decided to become a rep for discovery toys! I will use the start up kit for a while and then when I want to purchase more things I will get 15% off. I doubt I'll sell to anyone but it was a better deal than paying full price from the rep.