PDA

View Full Version : Backyard...or mud yard?

Fun&care
04-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Hi everyone,

I am wondering what everyone's backyards are looking like...we moved in last summer, I have 2 kids and a dog and by the end of the summer there was hardly any grass left in some areas, so it got pretty muddy. Now with the snow melted, add my kids AND 3 daycare kids I don't know what I am going to do this year. Kids playing outside=no grass= MUD! Am the only one with this problem? I'm not sure if I should try seeding it, or maybe getting some of that fake grass stuff that is basically a green carpet and putting it in the worst areas...

What do you all do?

torontokids
04-16-2013, 01:02 PM
We have been struggling every year to get a green lawn. 2 kids and a dog (she's the real problem). I think we might try to train our dog to pee in one spot off the main lawn and see if that helps. Laying new sod this yr.

mimi
04-16-2013, 01:10 PM
try asking your hubby to start seeding it as soon as possible. My husband is contiously seeding the bare spots all through the season. We are actually getting a load of good soil delivered and spreading it over the worn areas and then seeding in a couple of weeks. It always does the trick. Of course we don't have a dog issue either.

sunnydays
04-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Yep...in the same boat! We are laying new sod this year, but I am worried that the kids will just destroy it again :( I haven't even been able to take the kids out in the backyard yet since the snow melted because it is soooooooo muddy...I have a little dip at the far side and it's like a ditch full of muddy water. I just can't face taking them out in that!

playfelt
04-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Haven't been out to the yard yet either - way too spongy and soggy still for toddlers. Our plan is to put in a large deck at the side of the house where we could play in weather like this or clear off in winter and play without getting lost in the snow.

One thing I do for outside play is that we do it at the end of the day from after nap till hometime. That way any mud or snow goes home. I ask for waterproof spalshpants and boots and if you don't bring them not my problem. But it means all the mud and sand goes home and not back into my house.

jodaycare
04-16-2013, 01:31 PM
I solved that problem by removing ALL of my grass, I have a lovely composite deck for riding toys and I have rubber cow mats under my playground equipment. I love it!!!!

sunnydays
04-16-2013, 01:43 PM
I may have to think about the deck idea too :) We have a corner lot, like you, but can't put a fence around the front and side as a huge portion of it belongs to the city...otherwise I would much prefer to play there as it is less soggy and easy for pick-up time. Not sure if we could have a deck on the side and front...might be a bylaw of some sort against that.

Haven't been out to the yard yet either - way too spongy and soggy still for toddlers. Our plan is to put in a large deck at the side of the house where we could play in weather like this or clear off in winter and play without getting lost in the snow.

One thing I do for outside play is that we do it at the end of the day from after nap till hometime. That way any mud or snow goes home. I ask for waterproof spalshpants and boots and if you don't bring them not my problem. But it means all the mud and sand goes home and not back into my house.

Fun&care
04-16-2013, 01:58 PM
So what is everyone doing for outdoor play so far then? I am getting tired of pushing a stroller and pulling a wagon at the same time when we go for walks, walks seem like the only other alternative....

Sandbox Sally
04-16-2013, 03:45 PM
We go to the playground. This is our first spring in our new home, and we've just discovered that our back yard is a complete swamp with the grade of our lot. We moved in last June, and by that time, we had a lush, dry, green back yard. :D Sooo...until it dries up, we will be at the park.

sunnydays
04-16-2013, 04:09 PM
We go to the playground. This is our first spring in our new home, and we've just discovered that our back yard is a complete swamp with the grade of our lot. We moved in last June, and by that time, we had a lush, dry, green back yard. :D Sooo...until it dries up, we will be at the park.

Me too Alpha! We moved in August and this is our first spring here...exactly as you described, the grade of the yard makes it a swamp at one side. We go for walks and also go to the park...kids are soooo excited to go to the park as the snow has only been gone from there for about a week :)

SecondAve
04-16-2013, 04:24 PM
I hear you! When the weather warms up more we plan on buying some cheap little white fencing from Dollarma and keep the kids on the patio stones while we treat the grass. In the meantime we asked parents to send rubber boots and outside clothes that they don't mind getting muddy. So far no major wipe-outs and only the boots need a little rinse.

Momof4
04-16-2013, 04:26 PM
As soon as the rain stopped this morning we geared up and went outside to jump in all the puddles and walked all around our huge downtown park. It was wonderful to go out. Tomorrow the sun is supposed to shine. Playground, here we come! At least it's covered in mulch and the rain soaks through.

mommylove
04-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Same here first spring for me thankfully my hubby is a landscaper and will be doing our backyard asap with swing set, patio, pool, trampoline, new sod and more awwwww......cant wait. right now its a MUDDY mess so we are at the park which is a 2 minute walk out my front door :)

SecondAve
04-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Lucky lady, having a landscaper for a hubby. My only words of caution would have to be about the pool and trampoline, you might end up having a hard time getting insurance for the daycare. Insurers asked me about those two things right off the bat any time I called for a quote.

mommylove
04-16-2013, 09:05 PM
hmmm second ave I have insurance and they didn't ask and I recently added my new kids and not a word??? The pool is a temp. one not a pool pool and we had the trampoline last year and the kids loved it, its enclosed and not very big and the rule is 2 at a time :)

2cuteboys
04-17-2013, 07:27 AM
On a semi-related note, does anyone have any tricks to keep on rubber boots that are a tad too big?

It seems like all the parents this year thought they go the "the bigger the better" route and their boots fall off constantly! Bare feet + muddy backyard = grumpy me (the kids think it's funny though :) ).

playfelt
04-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Buy a pack of boys tube socks - ie a size at least bigger than the kids are. That goes over their socks and will pull up the leg so you can also tuck in pants if needed. It will fill in the gap in the boots as needed and for this time of year give an extra layer of warmth. Buy white socks and then they can be bleached as necessary

Adult tube socks work well over hands to keep mittens on too when out for a walk or for a child crawling on the ground. Pul sock over hand and up arm as high as it will go. The reason for the adult size is that it allows the hand to still move inside the sock as well as fit over the snowsuit arm as I always used them on the outside after child was dressed. Saves realizing some kid dropped their mitt over side of wagon and you didn't notice.

monkeymama
04-17-2013, 11:54 AM
our backyard faces the south, so we get sun all day long....last week was a little muddy but this week has been nice...ive requested splash pants and boots and weve been outside all week so far, the kids have been filthy but having a blast!

Sandbox Sally
04-17-2013, 01:53 PM
My husband is currently digging a trench around our entire house, and laying pvc pipe and drainage rock out to the street. :D

We spent the morning at the playground, but stayed in ALL day yesterday. Ugh.