PDA

View Full Version : Telling kids you're expecting

mamaof4
07-08-2011, 09:11 AM
When would you do this? What is a good way to handle the inevitable questions.

mom-in-alberta
07-08-2011, 11:22 AM
We usually tell everyone (including our kids) pretty much right away. I just can't keep my own secrets, so we spill it pretty early!
If I had a history of early pregnancy loss or some such thing, I would wait until I was into the "safety zone". I don't feel that it's necessary to involve kids in a miscarriage, as they likely won't grasp it all and it may be too much for them.
As for the questions..... ugh! You know they're coming. So come up with some age appropriate explanations to have at the ready. My oldest is 10, and they took sex ed this year. Needless to say, he knows how it all came about, lol. (I think he was a little grossed out) My 7 1/2 year old didn't seem to care. He remembered when his sister was born, that was enough of a frame of reference for him. And my 4 year old has the typical questions. How did the baby get in you? How will she get out? Does the baby hurt you? And so on. I try to be honest (no "storks" here), but not un-necessarily explicit. She just needs general answers for the most part. We can fill in the details later, lol!

Emilys4Guppies
07-08-2011, 08:52 PM
We have 4 kids...we also tell everyone pretty much right away, including the kids. Granted, my firstborn was only 5mo when I was expecting my 2nd baby, so he didn't understand. LOL.

I did lose a pregnancy at 12 weeks. I was glad that I had told them...by 12 weeks I was quite attached to the baby, and I needed their understanding and love for my recovery. That goes for friends and family too. I didn't regret telling anyone.

mamaof4
07-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Emily- I totally agree- My hubby is always on the side that people do not need to know until it is apparent- and I feel that if I lose a baby, I need the help- yep I am a sap

dodge__driver11
11-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Android is unlike any other mobile development platform or Java-based environment. Triple Bottom Line’s Android webinar will immerse students in the Android platform, leveraging their existing Java expertise, and allowing them to walk away from the class ready to build Android GUIs and related components.On the first class you will write your first Android Activities. Through the rest of the week you will be progressively introduced to more and more of what Android has to offer – services, multitouch, and system search services. You will apply this knowledge with working code every step of the way. Be ready to work hard and learn a lot in this intensive, hands-on, five day introduction to programming with the Android platform.

What does this have to do with anything on this post?

playfelt
11-28-2011, 06:09 PM
It is someone spamming the site. It was posted in two places this afternoon. I reported one of the m as spam (the little triangle on the bottom left hand side of a message) this allows you to notify the administrators of a message that needs to be looked and in most cases they get removed.

mamaof4
11-29-2011, 10:25 AM
i deleted the message, if you see anymore please keep reporting them

Momof4
12-09-2011, 09:17 PM
I have a little boy in my daycare who is expecting a little sister. They told him (and me) when they were only expecting for a few months because they want me to keep a space open for their new baby after their little boy goes to JK next Sept. I'm so honoured that this wonderful family wants to stay with me for a total of about 8 years with both children. What a compliment!

Anyway, this little 3 year old boy told me the other day that it is taking a long time for the new baby to come, ha! They were heading off for their 3d ultrasound when they picked up their son today so are sharing the excitement with the whole family.

Unfortunately, there were two Moms in my daycare who had miscarriages in early pregnancies last year and the year before. I was completely heartbroken for both of the Mommies and they had already told their daughters about the new babies. The one little girl said to me 'my Mommy has a piece missing' and the other little girl had been kissing the baby in her Mommy's tummy. It broke my heart too.